iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln Operation

Started by JackLeg, April 22, 2008, 08:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLeg

Hey Folks!  I'm new to the Forum, but been "lurking" a while.  This is my first post, so cut me some slack, please, if I screw it up!  I'm in the Piedmont of North Carolina, in the country.  Woodworking is my hobby and interest.

I've just finished construction of a solar kiln, built by the Virginia Tech plans.  Kiln holds from 700-1000 bf.  I'm attending the Solar Kiln Construction and Lumber Drying seminar Thursday and Friday at VT.  If any of you are coming, look me up. 

If any of you are operating solar kilns at present, I'd sure be grateful for any and all input, suggestions, warnings, etc.  Plan to put in my first charge next week of some 7/4 cypress.  We build outdoor furniture (swings, rockers, Adirondacks, gliders, plant stands etc.) so we can use slightly higher mc wood. 

Thanks for looking and hope to meet some of you someday.  I know Scott Smith from another WW forum that we belong to.  And, Ivey Pridge, a sawyer and friend I buy lumber from. 

scsmith42

Hey Reggie - welcome to the Forestry Forum!  You'll fit in well here; lot's of great folks - just like NCWoodworker.

As I recall, Pineywoods has a lot of experience with solar kilns, and posted some threads a few months back.  Be sure to check out his posts when you get a chance.

In addition to Ivey and myself, some of our other locals are also on FF (Jeff Mills is Dad2nine, an Kyle Edwards is KEdwards).

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

Hey Reggie,
I had hoped to go to the kiln class at tech this weekend, my folks are coming over to visit so hopefully next year. Be sure to tell them you are working with cypress. Sneak into Brooks Labs while you're there.
And Welcome to the forum.
Don P, (Ivey's shirtail cousin  :))

JackLeg

:D :D :D :D

If you're ADMITTING to be kin to Ivey, Lord help you!   Great to "meet" you.  Have you been to VT before?  You mentioned the lab? 

Take care.

Riles

And I'm just west of Charlotte...
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

ironstumper

Hey, JackLeg, I'm in Climax....(Yes guys there really is a town with that name) I've got the base down for a solar kiln. I made mine 16' by 6' . Waiting for tax return so as to purchase the remaining materials.
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Ivey

Hey Reggie,
Glad to see you come on in. Good folks here, and smart too!
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Ivey

Hey Reggie,
Glad to see you come on in. Good folks here, and smart too!
DonP even looks smart, I saw him one time! ;D
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

JackLeg

Ironstumper: 
Call me before you get too much farther along.  Some modifications can be made to the

VT plan that might save you some "heartburn."

704-322-2552

JackLeg

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  I've learned a lot already from this group. 

JackLeg

[bPut the first charge in my kiln today.  Still need to paint her on the exterior, but the fans are running, air is circulating, timer is set, so WE'RE DRYING.  Gonna try and post a pic.  Never done it before on here, so here goes.

Hmm, guess not.  Seems I need an album.  Or permission for one?  HELP! [/b]

Thank You Sponsors!