iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro from new member.

Started by Tokinred, March 23, 2024, 12:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokinred

Hi all, i'm a new member here, after lurking for months.  I'm in N. Cent. Fla., early 50's, retired in '22 due to severe TBI sustained 3 years earlier.  I purchased 10 acres, with a 9,000 sq/ft pole barn, from a log home outfit.  My intention was to build a "barndominium" in part of it, and use the rest as a shop.  I enclosed and insulated 500sq/ft, installed a mini-split, hung a TV, and now call it home. 

Last year, i bought myself a new crossbow.  While learning to shoot it, i set my target up in front of a giant pile of logs left on my property.  I believed them to be waste, so i planned to use 'em for firewood.  When i missed the target completely, the errant bolt hit a 8"x12"x16' log and shattered.  Upon inspection at the point of impact, i was shocked to see beautiful, deep purple color wood exposed by the impact.  I grabbed my trusty Husky 455 to investigate. 

Turns out, the folks who once owned the log home place had bought an entire boat load of exotic hardwood, piled it up near the barn, and left it...in the late 70s or early 80s!  I cut six 4x6x1 samples, mailed them to Dr. Harry Alden and prayed while awaiting the verdict.  Within two weeks, he told me i have the following; Bubinga, Cherry Mahogany, Dark Red Meranti, Greenheart, Purpleheart, and Wallaba!

Upon learning this incredible news, i stopped all other activities, ordered a sawmill, and began reading this forum and others, to educate myself.  Educating myself, post TBI, has proven difficult, having near zero short term memory.  Rather than lurk, waiting for someone else to ask the questions i have, i joined, in hopes of learning from you all.  Thank you for reading all of my first post.  I'm just a normal guy; in 24 months, i got hurt, got divorced, retired from practicing law, and moved from a crappy waterfront home into my pole barn...😂

I just have to figure out how to mill this lumber.  Blessed to be the "curator" of 450-500 8-12"x8-12"x10-24' logs, i'm focused on not wasting a bit of it.  It's too rare to waste.

Great thanks to all the knowledgeable folks who share priceless information with us newbies. 

Tokinred.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SawyerTed

Welcome!  That sounds like a great challenge and lucky resource. 

@caveman might be a good resource close by.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

@YellowHammer might be interested too. Good luck. He might make a side trip next moth after visiting with Jake, et. al.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

That is a cool discovery! Welcome, and we look forward to seeing what comes out of that pile!
Too many irons in the fire

B.C.C. Lapp

Hello and welcome.  When you start sawing that out we sure would like some pics.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Nebraska

Welcome that's a really awesome find. 

jpassardi

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
Walnut and cherry are as exotic as I have experience milling.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Stephen1

Welcome to the FF. The universe is pretty darn good at providing for those that need. You just have to recognize the gifts. 
We really like pictures!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

rusticretreater

As a wood turner, I am so jealous.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

trimguy

Welcome to the forum. I only know what the mahogany is, but Wow! See if you can round up some common logs to practice on before you start on the pile.

Tokinred

Wow!  Thank you for such a warm welcome.  As  soon i figure out how to post pictures, i will share what i have.

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 24, 2024, 10:27:48 AMAs a wood turner, I am so jealous.

Don't be jealous;  once i establish that i'm not BS-ing, not utterly insane, or higher than a giraffe's...tail...😂.i'll send you whatever you want.

terrifictimbersllc

Practicing on other logs might help but the ones you describe will have their additional challenges. Probably want to get a carbide blade or two to have for backup. Come to think of it practicing some will help you not ruin those-they cost $$$-by sawing your mill like most of us have. ffcool ffcool Good luck.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

rusticretreater

Quote from: Tokinred on March 23, 2024, 12:23:29 PMWithin two weeks, he told me i have the following; Bubinga, Cherry Mahogany, Dark Red Meranti, Greenheart, Purpleheart, and Wallaba!
Quote from: Tokinred on March 24, 2024, 04:20:18 PMDon't be jealous;  once i establish that i'm not BS-ing, not utterly insane, or higher than a giraffe's...tail...😂.i'll send you whatever you want.
Awesome. That is a really generous offer.  Are you nuts or something?  ffcheesy

Using different color woods for making things like lids to bowls really creates interest in the piece.  I also am dabbling in making segmented pieces so contrasting colors are also desirable. 
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

maple flats

logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   From your first post, looks like you got lots of work to do.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Tokinred

Awesome. That is a really generous offer.  Are you nuts or something?  ffcheesy

Signs indicate yes...🤭

Tokinred

Pics;

TimW

Barn find of the decade!  What sawmill did you get?
We all are chomping at the bit to see more photos.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

jpassardi

Yeah, the colors are impressive.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

rusticretreater

Holy Cow!  I don't know what barn find I would like more, finding that wood or finding a bone stock classic car.  Dang man. Lucky you.  I would be sitting around for months just trying to decide how to process that wood.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Tokinred

Thanks guys, i appreciate the kind words. 

It seems that the FF, like many, had to dramatically reduce data storage associated with photo sharing, to reduce consumption.  It's a necessary process, but usually makes it more difficult to share pics.  It took me  two days, but i did figure it out.

I will add more as i can. 

On to milling;  i did order a carbide tipped blade, which just happened to be on sale.  Thank you for the excellent suggestion, terrifictimbersllc. 

Yall have a great day, i'm off to the planer...

WV Sawmiller

Awful pretty wood.

Where in N. Central Fla are you located? I grew up in the norther panhandle near the Ala line north of Pensacola but dad was down in Dixie County so we'd go down there and fish on the Suwannee River and such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!