iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

Started by SawyerTed, March 26, 2024, 07:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticretreater

You notice in some of the shots, the crane ship is off to the side working on getting a sea lane open.  That's probably where the workers were cutting the girders.  

The real difficulty is getting the leaners off of the ship so that it can be pushed away from the area.  

The rest of the operation is stuff that has been done many times before.  Getting enough flotation under the pieces and tow them away, cleaning up the sea floor and assessment of the remaining structures.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

CCCLLC

I'm  sure there is great anticipation for the shears.

LogPup

It looks like there are almost 30 ships anchored between the mouth of the Chesapeake and Annapolis.  Bulk carriers and Auto carriers.

beenthere

Just happened across this video of the Port of Baltimore. Video made by a trucker picking up a CAT excavator that came into the Port from China, and he is loading it up to transport to Canada. The first 25 minutes shows the volume of equipment at this Port either moving in or someday, moving out. 
Found it interesting enough to think other FF members might also find it interesting, both from the truckers side as well as the Port of Baltimore side. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

A lot of our grub comes up those rivers, a lot from south of the US to. You would think a lot of the non US stuff could come into the Bay of Fundy with the deepest sea port on the globe. But it's an historical fact since confederation, the Feds will never give those jobs to a Maritimer.  smiley_thumbsdown ffcheesy Open ocean, no bridges, rail service. Why make it tougher? Subsidies and politics will always overcome practical things.  ffcheesy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gspren

I would think that the Bay of Fundy's extreme tide levels and currents would make for some challenges to cargo loading/unloading.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

Never hear tell of it.  Even Churchill during WWII couldn't believe the government didn't use it all the more. Was easy to defend. There a number of small ports there, 40 or so. But could be expanded for a lot more cargo. A port or two may be closed in winter because of thick ice. But that is not the case for them all.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NewYankeeSawmill

Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Resonator

QuoteJust happened across this video of the Port of Baltimore. Video made by a trucker picking up a CAT excavator that came into the Port from China, and he is loading it up to transport to Canada. The first 25 minutes shows the volume of equipment at this Port either moving in or someday, moving out. 
Found it interesting enough to think other FF members might also find it interesting, both from the truckers side as well as the Port of Baltimore side. 

I hauled flatbed loads in and out of the Baltimore a few times. I had Oshkosh trucks going in one time, and compact tractors going out another. As seen in the video there are huge parking lots with all types of cars, trucks and machinery. Also there are huge warehouses where freight is unloaded out of containers and reloaded on trucks to be delivered. All of this dependent on the ship traffic in and out of the port.

Those ocean transport ships seen in the video have multiple levels inside, with ramps going to each area like a floating parking garage. The ships crew has to plan out the loads on each level like a giant chess game. Deciding where each machine and car gets put, sometimes with multiple stops around the world where different machines will get loaded and unloaded.

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

beenthere

Streaming video showing live happenings at the bridge cleanup. Some traffic talk, which is Barge's world these days.  Offloading two containers at a time. Can just pick out the men on the Dali ship hooking up the containers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BargeMonkey

Friend of mine got some good pictures the other day going thru, the boat I'm on brought down the container barge they are going to unload the ship with last week.
Messenger_creation_f6b223db-59d1-4a36-bdb8-201fd6d95960.jpegMessenger_creation_2258d4c4-8479-4a34-bee7-8f03416e5956.jpegMessenger_creation_f1e9656b-ed57-478e-927b-fe7ad9eeadef.jpegMessenger_creation_25b5d047-2312-43dc-b700-b2f6f6bfbbf2.jpeg

beenthere

Awesome size of that steel bridge when seen up close, and the man on the bow risks further collapse not knowing what is holding up the bridge structure above him. 

Live stream video that I watch shows progress removing containers, bridge parts, huge clam shells to lift pavement from the bottom depths, and the many, many tugboats operating to keep the hundreds of barges in position at the right time. What a job.

Live stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sv7SA2Ybgg
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

A short video of some closer-up images of the damage, and the rescue operation. 
Imagine that every tug has a "bargemonkey" working hard to keep the engines running. Hard to fathom how this entire operation can be coordinated. 
south central Wisconsin

gspren

News tonight shows they have a smaller temporary chanel opened and are letting some ships/barges out, chanel will only be open for 4 days and then close while they remove more debris.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!