iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new home, returning to the farm.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Is That your house up on the hill on the right??
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

@Peter Drouin  No, that is an old church parsonage up there across the road. My house is to the left of the shop.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Got the steel on and ridge cap, soffit and facia and taped the seems on the house wrap. 3 days storm will hold up work, finish up on Monday.  :sunny: :thumbsup: Will call the electrician next week, book the cement work which won't be done until at least June because of road closer up here (spring breakup), then get the stove and flu in and the overhead door.  ffsmiley

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Looking good. I think I would have put more windows in. ffsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SwampDonkey

Nah, the wall facing the road to the right is going to be for firewood. The wall to back will have a stove to the right of that window on up through the slope facing the road. The wall space back there would be nice to air dry lumber on a rack. ;) The west wall to the left will have power coming in about 4 feet from the corner. Lots of natural light plus electric lights.  The wood lathe will be a on a bench under that west window. The entry door will have a window to the south. The overhead will not be windowed. One thing I like is wall space, too many windows and you have no wall space.  :thumbsup:

Peter Drouin

Well ok,  ffcheesy I think the green lumber in there will get moldy on you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

aigheadish

I put my lathe right under a window in my shop too, and knowing my history with running the lathe, I also built a raise-able screen protector that covers the window when I'm using the lathe. 

I'm amazed at how much work you are getting done in a day!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

Not so much green lumber getting mold, but kilned lumber not being dry enough for furniture. It's barely down to 20% out of the kiln, most of it, and not under climate control in storage which might dry further to 16% at best.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcool 

But I have stacked green hardwood without trouble in stickered piles over head in a barn. White pine you have to be careful with.

In my old shop I have a window behind my lathe there and never had anything head in that direction. ;)

gspren

I also like wall space more than windows, if I want to look out I open a door. I also don't want people looking in.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

One of the reasons I don't want windows facing a road. But priority is wall space. I need that whole wall for wood stacking. And the most of another for a dry rack. It's not like I'll put 1000 bf on it, just a few sticks for a project to dry a couple weeks behind the stove.

SwampDonkey

We finished the siding, put in the flu, trimmed around the doors, put on the plastic and strapping on the ceiling. Ready to insulate the attic in the morning and that will be it until I get it wired, then I will insulate and put the 1/2" spruce plywood on and pour the floor as soon as they can come. Roads are closed to 80% until June up here on back rural roads, so no cement trucks.

SwampDonkey

A little 'thoughtful' bonus, so that the electrician isn't climbing up there in my insulation, we ran a wire up to the outside light.  :thumbsup:

Something I just noticed. You can see the shadow of the house in front of the shop but the left corner of it. The sun is far enough north now that it hits the north side of buildings in the afternoon. The sun it hitting the overhead door area starting pretty much at the door trim. That is of course the south end, but it is shining between and on the north end of the house and on the south end of the shop. The overhang of course puts the wall in shadow. The ground up to the foot of the overhead door is in light. Won't see that in January that late in the day. Sun would have set and way further south. Would have been a shadow in front of the shop (from the house) all afternoon.

Thank You Sponsors!