iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got me a new to me truck

Started by Matt601, April 28, 2018, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

How expensive is the permit? I don't remember our permits being all that bad for the 3 county's we work in.

Matt601

No matter where you go there you are!!!

mike_belben

Yeah, those new old trucks always show ya their butts when you first put them in service.  There always a few splinters that fester and come to the surface at once. 
Praise The Lord

Matt601

I got a call at noon yesterday at noon said I could bring 2 loads in the mill. Busted my butt got it loaded and blow the tire going to the mill. Got unloaded and back home picked up my international and loaded it crossed the scales at 58,000 had 20 tons on it. My GMC can only hold 14 tons. That loader is heavy.

Matt601

Quote from: Skeans1 on May 01, 2018, 10:37:28 PM
How expensive is the permit? I don't remember our permits being all that bad for the 3 county's we work in.

It's not but 20 bucks but my thing is I might move 2 times a day. The permit has to be applied for 24 houses aheaded of time. Like yesterday I got a call at noon that I could bring 2 loads in. I moved my tractor and got those 2 loads. That's why I don't want to mess with that .

Skeans1

We get a yearly permit because we move a decent amount about once a month or so depending on job size.

Matt601

Our is per move and they want to know from to what time and everything. Buddy of mine is a big time logger he has a lady that just does that stuff full time. It can get out of hand

Matt601

snowstorm

that load reminds me of the big truck crash on 201.this was 25 yrs ago or so. a trailer with wood sticking out the back too far was turning left to go into scott paper. another truck went by him on the right. it is 2 lanes there. the wood went through the windshield. maybe its common in the south to haul like that up here the dot would catch up to you real fast  

coxy

little over on your back axle no  :D :D

Oliver05262

I was stationed in Charleston, SC in the sixties. West Virginia Pulp & Paper had a mill in No. Charleston. Used to see a lot of single axle trucks loaded like that headed in there; once in a while somebody would be on the front so they could make a corner.
  Wasn't a great idea then, and certainly not today, but you do what you gotta do.............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

barbender

We have tree length "pole trailers" up here, and they are dangerous. You have to put a reflective marker on the longest stick, and a light whenever lights are called for (dark and weather).
Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

When we did some 150' poles between Oregon and Washington is the Lewis & Clark bridge at the bottom on the Washington side is a light. We had pilot cars blocking all lanes of a 4 lane intersection a van decided she needed through at the time the tail was coming around and blew out all the windows in the van when the two met.

Matt601

Quote from: snowstorm on May 04, 2018, 08:21:05 PM
that load reminds me of the big truck crash on 201.this was 25 yrs ago or so. a trailer with wood sticking out the back too far was turning left to go into scott paper. another truck went by him on the right. it is 2 lanes there. the wood went through the windshield. maybe its common in the south to haul like that up here the dot would catch up to you real fast 

We can go 28 foot pass the back of the truck that is only 20 there. Day light only. At night only 4 foot pass.

Matt601

Quote from: coxy on May 04, 2018, 09:02:21 PM
little over on your back axle no  :D :D

Back roads only DOT don't understand why they only see me unloaded!! I'm pulling about 65k on this load.

Matt601

This is my best friend truck. He has 2 just a like with a 3208 and a 13 speed.

mike_belben

I see pulp trailers with about that much overhang pretty often.  One flag at the end.
Praise The Lord

barbender

That's gotta get light on the front!
Too many irons in the fire

Matt601

Quote from: mike_belben on May 04, 2018, 10:54:20 PM
I see pulp trailers with about that much overhang pretty often.  One flag at the end.

snowstorm

if you think your getting more on by running it long you are not. cut it 20 ft or so butts ahead the tops butts to the rear. you will have the same load just slightly higher and a lot safer. the crash i was refering to it took the drivers head off 

Skeans1

If you alternate what snow storm said butts forward tops forward you'll have an even load that's lower.

Matt601

For chip and saw which what this is it has to be 18 foot long with a min 14" butt and min 6" end. So if you have 32 foot stick you have to keep it one stick or cut it and the end cut will be pulpwood which is 15 bucks less a ton. Even pulpwood has to be at less 12 foot long or they will not take it. My boosters are are 13 foot apart on this truck. 11 on my other one. This truck with the loader on it puts 6,000 on my front axle. Everyone run there trucks like this down here. When you can get 35 a ton for chip and saw or 20 a ton for pulpwood you try to make everything you can chip and saw.

6) The load upon the rear vehicle of a combination of vehicles transporting forest or agricultural products in their natural state shall not project more than twenty-eight (28) feet beyond the rear axle of the vehicle except in the special circumstance hereinafter prescribed. If such products project more than twenty-eight (28) feet beyond the rear axle and, due to the end use for which they are intended (such as tall utility poles or light poles or the like), such products cannot be shortened without rendering them useless for the finished product for which they have been cut, then such special circumstance may be considered good cause for the obtaining of a permit which shall be procured pursuant to Section 63-5-51 before vehicles transporting such products may operate. Except as otherwise provided in Section 63-5-21, any vehicle transporting projecting loads as described in this subsection that extend four (4) feet or more beyond the rear or body of the vehicle shall operate only during daylight hours, and the load on vehicles designed to transport forestry products shall be secured by at least two (2) chains, two (2) wire ropes, or two (2) nylon straps, one (1) positioned behind the front bolster and one (1) in front of the back bolster.

Skeans1

I'd be iffy on just two wrappers per load, 4 is required here in Oregon, then Washington it's 3 per load so a long logger has 3 then a short logger will have 6 total. 

Matt601

I have never put more than 2. It's funny how different states has different laws. One reason I like this site so much to see how other guys are logging around the country. Wood is cheap here and everyone has a log truck. This time of year you got to stay on the phone to the mills to take your wood. My wife is friends with the lady's at the scale office and gets me in most of the time.

Skeans1

I've only been shut off a mill once on one job because of wood quality all the other times it's been a quota of day 3 loads a day per operator per job. With your moving issue are you close to any ports of entry for the state?
Are there two saw log tonnage sorts available?

Thank You Sponsors!