iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Grandpa diet

Started by Bibbyman, July 29, 2015, 06:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Those of you that have met me in person would hardly recognize me.  I got on the scales this morning and weighed in at 190.  That's some 70 pounds lighter than I weighed 12 years ago. And I did it on my own "grandpa" diet.

I've done a lot of research and found so much contradiction in diet studies that I have concluded most of it is just junk science.  There are studies that study studies that expose flawed sampling and poor scientific practices. 

Here is my non-scientific study. Pretty simple.  Man fell out of a tree in some distance past and his tail popped off and he started walking upright.   He eat anything he could catch or gather.  He was a scavenger.   Time past and he became a hunter gatherer and them a farmer and fisherman, etc.   Things changed but the food he eat was essentially the same - depending on food avaliable.   

Up until about 1900 most people produced most of their own food.  Then came industrialization,  trains, refrigeration,  urban living.   Our foods begin to be modified - mostly to make it possible to transport and distribute.   Then about WWII,   we started to see some real artificial foods with artificial colors and taste.  From the 50's on we see the industrialization of food production.  Corn and soybeans are made into a gazillion products.  Corn into suger made sweet products abundant and cheap.    Old foods like meat, eggs, milk, and lard is bad for you.  The new poly this and that good for you.

Humm?  Ever wonder why obesity was not an issue before 1900? Seldom seen up into the 1950's? And now it's an epidemic?  Could it be that human beings have lived on basically the same diet for millions of years are now exposed to an abundance of junk food?

So I adopted my own grandpa diet.  If it wasn't something my granda would have eaten when he was growing up,  then it's not good for you.   That's why I eat bacon and eggs and fried apple or potato for breakfast and loose weight!  We eat real butter.  We drink and use raw milk. 

I consume scant little of modern foods - anything with corn syrup is out.  Anything diet is out. 

My battery is running low. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

samandothers

good for you on the loss. Sounds like a great diet/food selection.

beenthere

QuoteMy battery is running low.

Because of the diet? ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

First: congrats on any substantial weight loss 8).  "studies that study studies".  Well said and true.  Artificial sugars, the rage in the past, not so good now. Diet soda worse for you than real soda (w/sugar not corn syrup - as in craft soda - not your $3 dollar six pack). Margarine no good, use to be butter was bad for you.  Funny how the study vs. study thing carries over into other disciplines.  Take for example an issue here for logging. In the "old days" logs, slash, everything, was left in the creeks, pistols were in the fishing boats. Salmon fishing in the ocean was actually an industry.  Then "science" took over and everything was removed from the creeks. Spawning opportunity down, correspondingly the Salmon runs went down, and so did peoples livelihood. "Better" science came on board and it was time to put back in the creeks logs and boulders - cabled to each other mostly. Sometimes multiple years on the same stretches of water -as cables haven't held up to winter high water like a "log jam"(slash) will.  So now our runs are back up and guess what?  The "who thought this up" protected seals/sea lions are wreaking havoc, camped at the river mouths.  Of course this is from a layman's study ;D

BradMarks

Bibbyman

Continue...

My diet starts at the store. Hit the fresh fruit and vegetables pretty hard. Then meat, eggs, cheese,  milk, etc. Real food you have to prepare.  Skip all the frozen stuff you can and prepared dishes.

Ship everything that has corn sweeter as a base.  Not that corn sweetener is bad, it's just loading you with carbs you don't need. I cut soft drinks out of my diet years ago.  If I get into a situation where I just have to drink something and a soft drink is all that is available, it tastes awful.  Like drinking syrup.  Candy, out.  Better to get nuts and fruit for your sweet tooth and snacks. 

How much to eat.  Try this test. Set down hungry in front of a plate of food. Take a bite of everything and a drink.  Set back a minute.   I'll bet your hunger is satisfied.  Take another round or two and set back a minute.  I bet you feel full. There will likely be half of the food left on your plate.  Eat until your hungry is satisfied and you'll loose weight.   Eat until you're full and you'll stay at the weight you are.  Eat all you can hold and you'll keep gaining weight.

If you're hungry again later, have a palm full of nuts or a piece of fruit.  Many small snacks is better than gorging three times a day.

I eat a big breakfast with a lot of protein.  Then a light lunch and light supper.  I can skip supper and have something like strawberries and ice cream and still loose weight. 
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Gotta have some bread in there too. I suppose that "enriched" flour was not around way back when. I am going to be checking out some grass fed beef. Not much on the veggie part,but like my meat,cheese and bread diet. It has worked for you. And I betcha you feel better too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

We have been eating much like you and feel good for it. (No raw milk, we don't produce our own and we can't buy it.) We simply don't like processed foods, we purchase locally produced meat, vegetables and fruit. We are going light on the meat at the moment because so much fresh produce is available in spite of the heat wave.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

4x4American

That's right!  I've been eating sugar snap peas, snow peas, string beans, apples, and carrots (all cold and uncooked) at lunch time in place of chips and cookies.  Still have a mean sandwich that I make up in the morning.  I also think that spicy food is good for you. 
Boy, back in my day..

Bibbyman

Quote from: thecfarm on July 29, 2015, 09:29:52 PM
Gotta have some bread in there too. I suppose that "enriched" flour was not around way back when. I am going to be checking out some grass fed beef. That much on the veggie part,but like my meat,cheese and bread diet. It has worked for you. And I betcha you feel better too.

It's not been that long ago that wheat flour has become the dormant flour.  Over most of man's history the grains have been barley, oats,  rice and rie.  Also, today's white flour is processed to death. When choosing breads, I like rie bread.  Mary tends to buy heavy multi-grain bread. 

I have to have a little bread but I've tried to cut back because I've come to notice I get symptoms of gluten intolerance.

Granddaughter Brooke did a science fair display of breads and how long they would keep without growing mold.  The homemade white bread molded in a couple of days followed by the store bought heavy grain flour bread.   The store bought white bread never molded.  I guess it dried out before mold could start to form.  Did you ever wonder what was in Wonder Bread?
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on July 29, 2015, 10:23:01 PM
Bibbyman your Grandpa diet remind me of this radio show I listened to a while back.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-july-23-2015-1.3164591/nina-teicholz-s-big-surprise-fat-doesn-t-make-you-fat-1.3164618

See,  this woman could have skipped 10 years of research and come talk to me. 

I've not heard of this lady's work but grab onto all these studies that go against common reason and then see counter evidence presented.  My conclusion is that junk science has been used to support a fake food industry and suppress people from eating home or locally produced food.

In my one man study,  I'd go in for my annual checkup and my cholesterol levels would be good to within range.   Yet looking at my diet,  my blood should be almost all fat. I eat at least a dozen eggs and a pound of bacon or sausage each week just for breakfast.  How can that be?

If you pick and choose studies to believe,   one I read (it may be one the lady in the radio broadcast spoke of) said the cholesterol levels in Eskimos living on almost total fat diet fell in range with Amazon tribe people that had a diet of fish, lean wild animals and fruit and vegetables - almost zero fat.

Keep in mind I lost 60-70 pounds over 12 years.  This is not a crash diet with quick results.  But it took me a good many years to come to my conclusions and put them to practice.  I lost 10 pounds over winter months and another 10 since spring.  But I generally loose weight in the summer months and struggle to keep from gaining it back over winter.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

I suspect you are on to something Bibbyman.

A lot of what was preached about diet seems to be misleading. I was pretty sick with diabetes / blood pressure / cholesterol  a few years back. Not overweight, but clinically diabetic.  It's all under control now, but I've taken to bacon and eggs for breakfast. More protein, a bit of fat, less carbs and sugar. While I'm still on meds at a low level, my bloods are coming back all good, Doc is happy etc. We do go heavy on the olive oil for cooking as no one seems to have anything bad to say about that.

Interesting thing, NZ has bought in new food standards. Basically a "star" rating on what you should eat. Air roasted french fries, 4 out of 5, which is "good", and actually rates better than a sugar filled apple. So yeah, I say to Lil, "want a bowl of health food for supper?". Frozen fries into the air fryer, and we don't add extra salt to most foods, it's all good.

There was a theory that if you ate "fat" then you got fatter. But in reality it seems that it's the total food intake that matters. And sugar is concentrated energy, way too easy to eat too much, and then that gets stored as fat. Where as if you eat a sensible amount of fat, you feel satisfied, and your body quite happily burns it off to give you energy. It's not "stored for later", because you are using it during the day.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bibbyman

Humans have thrived all over the world because of our abilities to adapt diet to foods available.   Probably the next best adaptable is the hog. 

One gift of diet that has been of great benefit until recent times is gluttony.   It allows humans to take advantage of a windfall of food.  By stuffing yourself when there is plenty,  it will carry you through the lean times.  But the problem is, we have food available all the time. 

Another is storing fat.  A lot of mammals have very little fat reserve.  Hogs, bears and humans store fat when food is abundant and burn it off when food is less available.   But now we add body fat for no reason. 

In my initial testing done in 2003 I did not have a blood sugar problem. But a few years back I went to the doctor with a bad infection.   My blood sugar levels were out of control.  I was immediately diagnosed as having diabetes and was prescribed pills. After my infection was cleared up,  my blood sugar levels were too low when taking medication and I stopped taking it. My A1c tests always come back slightly elevated but well within safety range.   But to the medical world I'm a diabetic.   I keep getting pamphlets from the insurance company helping me control my diabetes.  Dr keeps telling me to take medication just in case. 

Eating light and more than three times a day keeps your blood sugar from spiking.  Also, avoiding massive intake of sugar. 
Sawing since '94

Hilltop366

A TV show I watched a few years back was talking about comparing old bones of people from "hunter/gatherer" living to bones of people who lived in a wheat farming areas, the person being interviewed was saying that the bone structure of the hunter/gatherer were in considerably better formed and stronger than the wheat farmed area people.

Ianab

Locally we use a HBA1c test, which is a long term indicator.

Over 50 and you are diabetic, and they try and keep you in the 50-60 range with meds.
Under 40 is normal.

My tests are coming back ~47, which is now classed as pre-diabetic. Be careful what you eat, keep up the testing etc. And the meds are working, so I keep taking them. Going to the bacon and eggs diet didn't change that, or my cholesterol, or my weight.

Stored fat is certainly an issue. In days gone by being able to put on a few extra pounds in the good times was a definite advantage if there was a famine. Locally the Polynesian people have a genetic  tendency to put on weight. Now when you live on an Island with limited resources (fish and coconuts) and have to make long sea voyages in a sailing canoe to move home, having a bit of extra body fat was a big advantage. But when KFC came along, and the feast time never ends, they pile on the pounds, and it's a genetic thing that they are "programmed" to do. Takes a lot of will power to go against what your bodies instinct tells you to do.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

Hmmm, wonder if I'm part Polynesian? I definitely have the ability to store extra fat. Used to get rid of it at the drop of a hat when i was a young man, but cannot seem to loose it now no matter how hard I try. I try to eat healthy and don't do much junk at all. My big problem is how much I eat. I manage to eat less for a while and then just binge it right back on. The DanG cooks at work don't help. They pile my plate full. I really need to learn that I don't have to eat it just because it's on my plate. Old habits are hard to break I guess. As kids we are told to eat every thing on our plate and it becomes ingrained. I would dearly love to loose abut 100 pounds or so. I know my knees would surely appreciate it.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Yup, portion size.

If you had to hunt down your food, you were happy if you weren't hungry any more. 

So you need to eat until your aren't hungry, not until you can't eat any more.  If you get hungry again in a couple of hours, that's OK. Have a snack, that's your body saying it needs more food, hunt down a sandwich and carry on.

Bibbyman

I've got to say I'm surprised so many people relate to the diet argument I'm presenting. .   

I posted the picture below in 2009.

"My breakfast; three strips of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon cook until still limp (cut to bite size), two large eggs over easy covered with about a quarter cup of medium hot salsa, burrito size whole wheat tortilla stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese."

I've cut back to two strips of bacon and got tired of the salsa.  I did have a tortilla a couple of times last week.  I've been cutting up a peach lately to round out the menu.

About salt in diet. 

Alton Brown of the cooking show "Good Eats" emphatically states that salt has no link to heart disease or high blood pressure.  There are new studies that have came out supporting the Alton's statements.   Seems another trip to the junk science library.   This notion that salt contributed to high blood pressure started with an old study that noted people with high blood pressure tended to consume more salt than people without high blood pressure.   The conclusion was not a proven fact.  It well be just that people with hypertension crave more salt.  Yet off we go.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?_r=0&referrer=
Sawing since '94

beenthere

And as we age and get older.. and older... we naturally lose weight and get smaller... likely regardless of diet.
So eat what you want... enjoy the ride.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

I did something similiar to what you did and lost 30lbs. or 15% of my weight over about 5 months. Just cut back on what I ate and really watched the sodium. Blood pressure is down 50 points on top and about 40 on the bottom.

I stay away from any frozen meals, except vegetables, very little processed meat such as lunch meat. Cook almost all my own foods. Breakfast is now 1 piece of toast, one or two eggs and sometimes eggo waffles with one egg, butter and molasses for the waffles.

In place of lunch meat I will cook and make my own chicken salad, peanut butter and something sandwich or sometimes just a pack of nabs and some peanuts. As hot as it's been eating a lighter lunch has been easy.

Eat till I am satisfied. Quit eating then. Just because it is really good is no reason to keep eating. If your satisfied stop. Still enjoyed an ocassional bowl of ice cream of a night with some nuts on it. But not two bowls like I had been quilty of. Still enjoy the ocassional hot dog but now it is not weekly.

For the last few years I have not been a big soda drinker or sweet eater. Lately I have been having one Mt. Dew Kickstart. Usually about 10 in the morning.

Alcohol has gone by the wayside. Really enjoyed a bourbon and coke after a hard day but one became two and two became three. None for a year. Enjoyed stopping and getting an Uncle Mike's Harder Lemonade to chug when I got back home after a hard days logging. Four hundred calories that I didn't need.

Feel better and had blood work done this week. All normal. BP was 121/72. No meds to get it lower. Just a diet change.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Bibbyman

The only way this diet will work is with willpower and a cooperative wife.  I think I have the willpower.   I'm have problems from Mary.

She likes to cook and she likes to fill my plate for me.  She'll head to the kitchen about 5:00 and I'll say,  "I'm not hu hungry. You could fix just a snack."  I'll get an angry reply and she'll cook enough for 8 and put enough on my plate for 2.  I'll eat more than I really wanted and scrape the rest out to the dowg.  That starts another round of angry words.

I kid you not,  at about the time winter was over I announced I had lost 10 pounds over winter. It wasn't 5 minutes later she got up and whipped up a big baking sheet of fudge brownies.   A couple of hours later she dished up a bowl of brownies and ice cream and brought it to me.  Now,  ain't that a blatant attempt to crash my diet! 

Her diet is upside down.  She'll eat nothing for breakfast or a piece of toast. A moderate lunch and then she wants to cook a full supper.  Then she'll generally eat a dessert and snack until bedtime. She thinks she's going to loose weight. 

I've tried to explain that the blood pressure medications make me sick.  By loosing weight and watching my diet,  I can control my blood pressure without medications.   I can also put my shoes on without running out of breath.  I don't want to be fat and on drugs.  I get no reply.  I have no idea what she's thinking.
Sawing since '94

luvmexfood

It is nice to be able to tie your boots without having to fight your belly to do it. ;D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Bibbyman

Numbers.

When the great creator put down the specs for man it went like this, "Let's have a creature that walks upright on two legs,  has two eys high and up front on a swivel base, on and on.  He'll have a blood pressure of 120/80 and and a blood sugar of 4 to 5.7." .  Well, I don't think so.  Every human is their own biological entity.   The  throw in the mix of food we eat, air we breath,  where we live, our genetic composition, our emotions, there is no way it could be that simple.

Our blood pressure is not a static number.   It goes up and down all the time.  I generally test mine 3 times or more to get a couple that are somewhat the same. When I go in for checkup, the fist thing they do is check by blood pressure.   It's going to be 20-30 points higher than I'm reading at home. Near the end of the exam they check it again and it's down to what I'm getting at home.

The A1c test.  I don't think it's the final word, an absolute test of blood glucose level. I've read that you can send the same sample off to different labs and get different results.   There may be conditions with red blood cells in their cycle of replacement that cause false results.  Just saying one test with one method is not enough to make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment. 

For sure, high blood pressure and elevated blood sugar levels should be taken seriously.  Maybe slightly elevated should be taken note of and at least watched carefully.
Sawing since '94

trapper

I have been on the same breakfast as Bibby since Easter For supper my wife makes meat and vegetables. cut out bread, potatoes and pasta.  Down over 40 pounds and my knee problem disappeared.  Wife is down 20 pounds  eating the food she makes for me.  75% of our meat is wild rabbit, deer  and fish,  most of the vegetables come from our garden.  We use butter liberally.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!