iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

barn re-build

Started by pineywoods, November 10, 2007, 10:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

This was one of my summer-time projects. New siding and sills cut from bug-killed pine on my woodmizer.

The building has an interesting history.  It was originally built as a 2 room school house. The school closed in 1909, the building was then moved to it's present location just across the road from my house, and converted to a barn. It's known to be well over 100 years old.
Now full of junk stuff and firewood. the side shed holds an old massey ferguson tractor and a 1976 ford pickup.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Looks great..from the outside.. :) :)
How about some pics of the framing and such on the inside?  or is it all buried in the walls?
Just curious what is under the siding (which looks great). Going to leave it natural?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

Looks good from this view, how about a few more.  Any pics of the restoration in process?

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

scsmith42

That looks great!  How did  you cut your siding - straight or beveled?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Warbird

Very nice work!  Thanks for sharing.

thecfarm

Looks like the old steel roofing to me.That old think stuff.Barn looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

That looks great 8)  Old Massey tractor ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pineywoods

Here's the only decent pic of the rebuild. As you can see, the structure is mostly 2x4 and 2x8 sawn full size on an old circle mill. The foundation is 6x6 pine laid on chunks of iron ore rock. The originals had just dry rotted. Timber frame construction is virtually unknown in this part of the country. It was either stick-built or split logs.
The roof is old-time thick corrugated iron, still good. One sheet had blown off the left rear corner exposing the corner studs. I had to replace them. The new siding is plain 1x6 left natural. It has already faded a nice silver gray.

The old tractor is a 1960 Massey-ferguson 135 gas burner with continental engine. I had it completely rebuilt a couple of years ago and still use it mostly to run a bush hog. The original owner used it as a skidder, pulling pine logs out to a landing.
Pickup is a 1976 ford F100 farmer special, 300 cu big six, 3 on the column. Paint and seat upholstry are gone but it only has 23000 miles. It's a canidate for Paul-H type wood burner if I ever get around to it. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Patty

You did a fine job there, Piney.  8)   Summer projects like that are what keep a guy young!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pineywoods

Quote from: Patty on November 15, 2007, 07:11:48 AM
Summer projects like that are what keep a guy young!

Maybe so, but doing them in the loosiana summer heat will tell you right quick how young you ain't anymore ;D

WDH

There are a lot of old barns like that one around here that could stand to be re-furbished.  Maybe yours will last another hundred years.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!