Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Ghosts

Started by Ron Wenrich, October 23, 2005, 08:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Let's hear your ghost stories, just in time for Halloween!  Expires 11-6-05
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Furby

I can't vote. :'(
I don't belive in them, but I sure have seen them! :o

crtreedude

I have never seen one but since I believe the Bible - if King Saul didn't see a ghost when Samuel came back to talk to him, I probably don't know what a ghost is.

Interesting, eh?

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Quartlow

My Big Sis lived in a haunted house. Only it was a good ghost. Shortly after they moved in the noticed anytime they left and came home after dark the side light was on,

Finding it a bit strange they started using the front door, first couple times the side light was on when they got home, next couple times both the side light and the front porch light where on, few more times getting home after dark only the front light was on.  Went back to using the side door and the process reversed it self

In her kitchen, things mysteriously kept getting rearranged. She finally gave putting things where she wanted them. Dirty laundry would end up in  the hamper. Oldest nice was just a newborn at the time, she would wake up crying and before anyone could get to her she would quit crying. There was a bedroom that no one could get to sleep in. No matter how tired you where.

They come to find out that in the early 1900's a lady died in that room.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

DanG

"You gon' be here when John gets here?

;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Tis morning I went to boot up my computer and there was a hook hanging from the cd-rom door....
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Tobacco Plug

I don't believe in ghosts, haints and boogers but I still love a good story about them.  Each year Halloween seems to become more of my favorite holiday.  Got to get a pumpkin to carve and string up my skeleton lights!  BOO, y'all! smiley_skull smiley_skull smiley_skull
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Roxie

You're down there in NC where the 'Brown Mountain Lights' are located...and you don't BELIEVE ???
Say when

chet

I didn't usta believe   :-\,  but now I've seen Casper around here and at Woodweb a few times.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

dail_h

Ghosts,I don't know  'bout,"spirits" definately
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Teri

Don't know bout them ghosts....but we do have a phantom.  :o

We got stuff that just vanishes into thin air!!!!   :D :D :D

sawguy21

I get that too. Trouble is, it usually ends up right where I left it ;D. Now if I could only find my DanG glasses.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DonE911

my wife is a ghost chaser.....  if someone tells her a ghost is around... she wants to take pic's....  drives me nuts!!

now I know there has to be gremlins in every engine or every vehicle I own..... If I drop a bolt or somthing in the engine compartment they grab it and run off with it.

flip

The old 1910 house I restored had a "guest".  The lady that owned the house died there in the dining room.  Over the couse of the restoration I had some really funny feelings while working alone, could see something out of the coner of my eye while working the the sewing room.  Later in the spring last year my ex- wife saw a small female in a gown go from one bedroom to another.  A few weeks later my mother was there putting up curtains, when she turned around our transparent friend was about 10 ft away from mom looking at her-same room we saw her go into before.

Over the course of a year we had a window that kept opening by itself and things moved around.  A contractor who is a friend of mine was there alone putting in door frames heard people walking around up stairs for an hour.  He thought someone else was there working, I really enjoyed watching his face turn white when I told him he was there alone.

We've heard several unexplained noises, foot steps, little child babbling, things being drug across floors but nothing bad, just spooky :) 8)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

ohsoloco

Back in March on a Saturday morning I was bringing firewood inside and stacking it in the basement, just inside the garage door.  My skidsteer was parked right there, and a couple times I could see something out of the corner of my eye moving around over there.  Figured it was the dog, but every time I looked up nothing was there, and the dog was across the field.  After a few looks I could tell whatever this thing is was sitting on the skidsteer watching me, and I could tell was happy to see me doing what I was doing.  Thought maybe it was the guy that used to live in my house and continued to stack firewood.  Not even two hours later I got a call from a friend of mine saying that one of my good friends just died the day before  :'(  He was an arborist, and we worked together sometimes, and spent a lot of time hanging out. 

SwampDonkey

THE DUNGARVEN WHOOPER

The following Copied From A Poem By Michael Whalen, the well-known Miramichi poet.

Far within the forest scene, where the trees forever green
From a contrast to the beech and birches grey,
Where the snow lies white and deep, and the snowbirds seem to sleep,
And cease their sweetest singing all the day,
Where the mighty monster moose, of limbs long and large and loose,
Through the forest sweeps with strides both swift and strong,
Where the caribou and deer, swim the brooks so crystal clear,
Where the deep and dark Dungarvon sweeps along.

Where the black bear has his den, far beyond the haunts of men,
Where the muskrat, mink and marten fill the streams,
Where the squirrel light and free, swiftly springs from tree to tree,
And the lovely snowwhite rabbit sleeps and dreams,
Where the sounds of toil resound, far across the frozen ground,
And the thousand things that to the woods belong,
Where the saws and axes ring, and the woodsman wildly sing,
Where the dark and deep Dungarvon sweeps along.

In a lumber camp one day, while the crew were far away,
And the boss and cook were in the camp alone,
A sad tragedy took place, and death won another race,
When the young cook swiftly passed to the unknown.
From that day of long ago, comes this weird tale of woe,
The sad and solemn subject of my song,
When this young man drooped and died, in his youth and manhood's pride,
When the crew returned at night, what a sad scene met their sight,
There lay the young cook, silent, cold and dead.

Death was in his curling hair, in his young face pale and fair,
While his knapsack formed a pillow for his head.
From the belt about his waist, all his money was misplaced,
Which made the men suspect some serious wrong.
Was it murder cold and dread, that befell the fair young dead,
When they asked the skipper why he had made no wild outcry,
He turned away and hid his haughty head.

"Well, the youngster took so sick, and he died so mighty quick,
I hadn't time to think," was all he said.
A tear was in each eye, each heart heaved a heavy sigh,
While through each breast the strangest feeling throng,
Then each reverent head was bared, as his funeral they prepared,

Fast fell the driven snow, while the wildest winds did blow,
Till four feet deep it lay upon the ground,
So that on the burial day, to the graveyard far away,
To bear the corpse impossible was found.
Then a forest grave was made, and in it the cook was layed,
While the songbirds and the woodsmen ceased their song,
There the last fairwells were said, o'er the young and lonely dead,

Then the crew to camp returned, their dear comrade still they mourned,
While the shades of night were falling o'er the hill.
All that long and fearful night, all the camp was in affright,
Such fearful whoops and yells the forest fill.
Pale and ghastly was each face, "We shall leave this fearful place,
For this camp unto the demon does belong.
Ere the dawning of the day, we shall hasten far away
From where the dark and deep Dungarvon sweeps along."

Since that day, so goes the word, fearful sounds have long been heard,
Far around the scene where lies the woodsman's grave.
Whoops, the stoutest heart to thrill; yells, the warmest blood to chill,
And send terror to the bravest of the brave,
Till beside the grave did stand, God's good man with lifted hand,
And prayed that He these sounds would not prolong,
That these fearful sounds would cease, and the region rest in peace.

Since that day the sounds have ceased, and the region is released,
From those most unearthly whoops and screams and yells.
All around the Whooper's Spring, there is heard no evil thing,
And around the Whooper's grave deep silence dwells.
Be this story false or true, I have told it unto you,
As I heard it from the folk lore all life long,
So I hope all strife shall cease, and our people dwell in peace,
Where the dark and deep Dungarvon sweeps along
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

I don't believe in ghosts. But.  In the last years of his life my father was in and out of the hospital as the meds tried to balance his heart medicine.  My sister would call me and tell me when he was in, and the condition, and should I make a trip up to Missouri or not.

One day toward the end of March my sister called and said I should probably come on up since Dad was back in the hospital, and had been there a while.  So I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove to Washington where he was in hospital.  Spent the day and went to his (and my old) home to stay for the duration.  Each day I drove over and spent the day with him.  Doctor said that if they could get his meds balanced that they would let him go home.  I could see his EKG at the nurses station and felt that they may be a little optimistic.  Last day of March I spent with him in his room, and he asked me when I had to fly back, and I told him that since the docs were confident he would get his meds balanced, and since I had a business to run, that I was going to fly back tomorrow, April 1st.  We said our goodbyes and I went home to spend my last night in Missouri for a while.  At a little past 2 AM I woke up with strong "thumps" in my chest, like my heart was hitting on rich fuel.  I was sleeping in Dad's bed.  Eventually the feeling went away, and I began to drift off.  Barely asleep when the phone rang and it was the hospital telling me Dad had passed, and that they had been doing chest compressions for the past 20 or so minutes.  I stayed another week and helped with family matters.

A month later I am back home and back to work, I was in an adjacent county driving down to a job site when I glanced over and saw my Dad sitting in the passenger seat.  Sort of glanced at  him and he had the old grin on his face.  I looked back to the road, and the rational hit that I had seen my dad, dead a month, next to me.  I looked back and he was gone.

I never went to a shrink, never will, but that was one I would like some one to explain. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Deadwood

I work in a Locomotive Engine House that is haunted. It's a true Engine House too, 167 years old, half-round, and made of old bricks. It even has a 3rd floor in the electric shop that makes some strange sounds. None of it bothers me, but about half of the 30 people that work there will not go up there. It is pretty spooky.

One electrician claims he was up there looking for a part when all these noises kept going off. He is pretty vocal anyway, so finally he just blurted out...

"Hey if your are going to make all that noise the least you could do is help me find the part I need...

He said the next thing he knew there was a thump and the part he needed was right next to him on the floor. He said he has never been back since.

Blake22

When I was growing up there was a black man named Jimmy Lee Brown that lived on our farm. He claimed he was the 7th son of a 7th son, a"root man" or a "faith healer."  smiley_sultan smiley_jester People came from all over to see if he could heal them. There was even an article in the Tallahasse Democrat newspaper about him. He had a son that lived with him that was about my age and we played together everyday. When I was about 10 years old he died & only 6 people went to his funeral. Well his son went to live with some kin and I didnt see him much after that. This was around 1972.

My daddy had the house torn down and cleaned up some woods around there, fenced it & put cows there. It stayed this way until 1995 when I built my house in almost the same spot where Jimmy Lee lived. I did use the same driveway since there was already a culvert at the highway. My daddy even joked about this being where Jimmy Lee lived  & asked my wife if she was scared of haints. I do here thumps in the house sometimes but doesn't everybody?

Ya'll stay with me now. smiley_annoyed01 smiley_beertoast

In Janurary 2001 I got divorced and started rambling again. Now about the 1st of march I woke up during the night & Jimmy Lee Brown was standing in my bedroom. He looked just like he did 30 years ago the last time I saw him. I didn't think too much about it & I think I said "hey Jimmy Lee" & went back to sleep. The next morning I thought about and laughed a little but didn't tell anybody 'cause they might think I was crazy. smiley_mad_crazy

On March 31st I was coming home late that night & ran off the road, over corrected & flipped my 4dr 4x4 F350 a couple of times. I was thrown clear & landed in the middle of the road about 50 yards away from where the truck ended up. The truck was torn all to pieces & I had 2 little scratches & my knee hurt a little. I looked around & found my cell phone and called a friend of mine that lived close by. That was the last time I ever got that phone to work. Anyway, someone called 911 & the ambulance came & they couldn't believe I wasn't killed. The state trooper said the same thing.

The next day around noon a guy that I used to work with called when he heard about the wreck & he said, "you know why you didn't get killed don't you?" I told him I was just lucky I guess. He said, "NO, JIMMY LEE BROWN PULLED YOU OUT OF THAT TRUCK."  smiley_angel02_wings smiley_angel01_halo

That's a true story so, YES I believe in ghost.
Blake

Max sawdust

I voted don't know ???
I have heard a few strange voices and sounds over the years, know other people who heard the same sounds in the same places, and I did not mention anything before hand :o  That is spooky

Had an old house, where I heard a young childs voice calling out "daddy" once in a great while.  Never told anyone.  My brother was visiting with his young son.  While my brother was taking a nap, the rest of the family was down by the lake (including his young son) My brother came running out asking if his son was OK cause he heard him  calling for him.  Could have been a dream, but it is weird that it was the same age voice I heard before.

Does anyone ever get spooked in certin woods they are working in ???  This fall I was working in a pretty remote valley and I kept stopping my saw and looking around, just a weird feeling can not explain. 
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Roxie

Here is some documentation of ghosts in the woods from a website called shadowbox:

Brown Mountain is a long, low-lying ridge on the border of Burke and Caldwell counties in Western North Carolina. Most of it belongs to the Pisgah National Forest. For perhaps 800 years or more, ghostly lights have been seen flaring and creeping along, and below, the ridge at night.

Some of the earliest reports came from Cherokee and Catawba Indians, settlers, and Civil War soldiers. Thousands have witnessed the spectacle, which is ongoing to this day. The lights have been investigated three times by the United States government, and countless times by private groups.

:o
Say when

estiers

I was a staunch nonbeliever until I "saw".  We were driving down a rural Kentucky road with a full car load when all of a sudden the driver turned off the radio and all the guys removed their hats.  Everyone was dead quiet.  I tried to ask what was going on and got shushed.  About a mile ahead, the radio and hats were put back on and everyone acted normally again.  I then asked what was going on.  They told me a child died on that stretch of road (between Lancaster and Danville) and will haunt you if you don't respect it when you drive through.  I was like "Yeah right.  Let's scare the yankee and see what happens".  On the way back through, with a less full load the car did not turn off the radio and remove hat, so I believed my suspicions of trickery were correct.  That is until I began to feel a dampness on the knees of my pants.  I asked the car if they were experienceing the same thing, and while they were not they noticed 2 hand small child sized hand prints on the rear window.  I would have thought they were planted, except the expresions on my friends' faces told me otherwise.  When we got to our destination, the handprints were still there, along with 2 perfect feet marks in the condensation on the truck of the car.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Jeff

estiers because of you, I aint reading this thread in the dark by myself again.  :-\

Bro. Noble

Roxie,

There's usually a scientific explination for 'ghost sightings'------I would guess those are just UFO's  :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Roxie

:D :D  Yeah, those Cherokee Indians and Civil War Soldiers were just messing with our heads!   :D
Say when

Phorester

Oprah Winfrey was doing a show on halloween beliefs.  She asked the Question; "How many of you believe in ghosts?"  Most of the audience raised their hand.  When asked:"How many of you with your hands up have actually seen a ghost?"  Some of the hands went down.  She then asked; "How many of you with your hands up have been touched by a ghost?"  Practically all the hands went down.  She then asked; "how many of you who have been touched by a ghost have had sexual relations with a ghost?"  All hands went down, except for one lone fellow sitting in the middle of the audience wearing bib overalls and a flannel shirt.

Oprah gasped, then charged up the steps into the audience, microphone held out in front of her.  She shoved her way into the row where this fellow was sitting and asked him to stand up.  She waited until the camera was zeroed in on her and this extrodinary fellow.  "Tell us about your sexual experiences with ghosts!!", she asked breathlessly, and shoved the microphone right up to his lips.

Standing there beaming and with both thumbs hooked into his overall straps, the fellow's eyes opened wide.  He stood there for a few seconds, then said; "GHOSTS!!!......   I thought you said GOATS!!!".

Jeff

Now there is a truly believable ghost story. :D

SwampDonkey

Jeff must be in the process of switching smilies from the pumpkin patch to the skeleton crew :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mometal77

My mom was telling me about after her grandfather died.  She was just a kid and the onlyone at home at the time.  She didnt go to the funeral but while she was half asleep in bed someone came to tuck her in and no one was at home.  Ghosts or angels is there a difference?
bobby
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

LeeB

years ago i thought i kept seeing something in te bathroom of an old trailer i was living in at the time. i didn't want to asy anything because i figuerd the wife would have me put away. one night just befoe christmas we were sitting on the couch admiring th tree when it came running down the hallway and knocked the tree over. we looked at each other and were both relieved to know that we weren't crazy. she had been seeing it too for months. it never was anything sscary, just startled you. this went on for quite some time and then we move the trailer to another location. the little spirit or whatever came with us. i say little spirit because it left the impresion of a child. you kinda gotrused to it after a while. a few years later we sold the place and moved to our cuerrent home. sure enough, along came the little one. one night i was alone in the living room watching the tube and looked up to see it looking through a port in the wall which again statrled me. i told it that i had enough beeing startled and said for it to come in and talk about it. it ran off and i haven't seen much of it since. still around though. we never said anything about it to the kids and they never mentioned it till they were grown. seems it used to wake the oldest up at night sitting on her wanting to play. LeeB :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Modat22

I've seen, felt and heard things since I was 9. Not sure if I saw ghosts or if I'm just crazy but I like to think they where/are ghosts or perhaps imprints from something that happened with great feeling or pain.

Generally the things I saw where of the out of the corner of the eye type that remain there as long as you don't try to look directly at them.

I've read that this can also be caused by retina problems or early alzhymers onset.

I do believe in ghosts.
remember man that thy are dust.

Wudman

I have lived in several houses through the years that I feel contained another "resident".  As a kid in my parents home, it was not at all unusual to hear doors open and close, dishes move, or hear footsteps.  This went on for a number of years.  Both of my parents have seen some type of apparition standing at the foot of their bed.....both said she was a young girl in the range of 6 years old.  The "spirit" has moved on as the house has been quiet for years.

I also lived in a house in Johns Station, NC that was "inhabited".  It was common to hear doors open and close.  On more than one occasion, I had gotten up to investigate only to find nothing.  One night I had just finished cooking my supper.  I removed a cast iron frying pan from the stove and sat it on the counter beside the sink.  I went in to the den to watch tv as I ate.  I heard the frying pan hit the floor and slide across the ceramic tile.  I got up to see what had happened.  As I entered the kitchen, the pan was in the doorway, about 12 feet from where I had sat it.  It did not fall and roll...it slid.  I had been accustomed to strange stuff from the time of a kid, but that got my attention. 

One other night, my girlfriend was putting some clothes in the dryer.  She came back into the den and wanted to know why I turned the light off on her.  I said I have not moved.  The light switch had been turned off.....we were the only two in the house.  DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

blueox

I believe...for sure! My Gram had lots of good stories. Mostly related to the night a family member past away. Barn lights turning on, vegetable gardens that were dying actually had vegies etc...

But I love halloween. I'm tying to attach a photo of my "halloween" wife Gladys ( I called her Glad-Ass), I'm Hecter! This is my favorite halloween costume. Hecter is a funny, Ole' Hick (probably owns a sawmill....tee hee!) But he cleaned up nice...no saw dust in his shoes ...Now Glad-ass, was a looker, quite a bit taller than me and has a beard, but she don't get out often so I don't mind that she didn't take the time to shave. I wish I could post this picture. You will have to use your imagination.

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

dave7191

Modat 22 if it is  alzhymers i've had it from a very young age It could be my eyes but if i'm tried it happens more often but i've had a group of indians that i see every now again always setting on horses standing at the side of the road
sometimes an aminal that isn't there
Dave

Texas Ranger

Dave7191, read Stephan King's Gunfighter series and all will be answered.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Modat22

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 05, 2005, 04:34:33 PM
Dave7191, read Stephan King's Gunfighter series and all will be answered.

I thought the same thing when I read the series.
remember man that thy are dust.