Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: cell phones

Started by Ron Wenrich, July 03, 2006, 07:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Well said Patty.
Did not even consider the huge increase in safety.  Yes I did travel for work before cell phones and agree with you.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

I agree with Patty as well, we have this new technology and it's great to have and be able the use when needed. But, I've travelled in many places, not far off the main arteries actually, that a cell phone was of no use. Also, I've never had a 'fear of the public' that I couldn't stop at a stranger's house or filling station to call, or thumb a ride, or walk some distance if neccessary.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Quote from: Jeff B on July 10, 2006, 11:23:24 PM

New technology has been dissed and dismissed since even before and along with indoor toilets. We have proof of that somewhere here on the forum because Pigman and Noble still gripe abut the indoor sitters. And I did say sitters.
{/quote]

I am not against new technology. I think every outhouse needs a phone on the wall. A person might run out of corncobs and need to call for a new supply. I am also very proud to be mentioned in the same sentence with out distinguished member Bro. Noble 8)
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

bitternut

Cell phones are a very valuble asset for many reasons. The problem as always is the ignorant person using it that has no common sense. Its illegal to talk on a hand held phone while driving in my state ( NY ) but people do it all the time. It appears to only be enforced when flagrant or the cop is in a bad mood I guess as I see people holding phones and yakking all the time. I even see people on the phone and using a laptop while driving.

Patty if you take that chainsaw with you won't have to be afraid to stop anywhere at any time.  :D  :D  :D

tomboysawyer

Its not that the bank is calling me 'cause I owe 'em that I don't answer the phone - it is that our credit is too good. Our home phone receives, approximately, 40 telemarketer calls a day. And, yes, I am on the Do Not Call List - lotta good that does.

Like I have machines to do a lot of things in my life, I have a machine to answer the phone. If I'm near the phone, I can read the caller ID (within 15 feet). If'n I recognize the caller, I answer the phone and greet them politely and personally - not even with a generic hello. If I'm home alone and not grossly involved with something up to my elbows, I'll usually wander over and see who it is. Frankly, I feel continuing a conversation that I am personally engaged in - with my hubby or a visitor - is more important than taking on a new conversation. If folks start to talk to the machine and we are there - we pick up the phone.

And I do answer the phone when someone talks to the answering machine even if I am extremely sleepy. 'Course, when folks call at 2am and ask if they woke me I assure them I had to get up to answer the phone anyway - not to worry.

I don't have a phone in my bedroom. I think that's as polite and important in  my life as anything else. But I can hear the machine.

I do tend to answer my cell phone whenever it is safe and polite to do so. I don't have it with me when it would not be polite and, like the home phone, it will then let the "machine" answer.

Telemarketers don't call cells, yet. And, generally, they don't call business numbers. I always answer my business phone when I'm in the office as fast as possible.

I realize not everyone gets the same kind of phone harassment I do. My hubby and I just decided it was better for our health and stress to not instantly respond to the ringer. Yes, whoever is calling has paid for their phone too (usually - I do have toll-free here). And I leave polite messages when I call them.

I used to get a lot of compliments on my old answering machine message:

"Hi, you've reached Mark and Amy. Friends and family you know the routine, leave a message. Everyone else: no, we don't need a new loan, no we don't need more credit cards, no we don't need a satellite dish and no, we don't need vacuum cleaner bags but thank you anyway. Beep."

Sorry, just like any invasive technology, we decided the person here, in the flesh, is more important than the one on the machine (the phone or online).  When it is an emergency, we can hear that, and we react quickly.

DanG

I understand where you're coming from, TBS.  I'm pretty much the same way.  We don't have caller ID on the house phone, so my "Hello" is rather brusk, in a deep tone.  That tends to put the telemarketers on the defensive, if there happens to really be a person on there. ;D  Once their little game has been confirmed, a real firm "Have a nice day", followed by an even firmer click, terminates the conversation. ;D :D

I guess what bothers me here, is the people that criticise others for having a cellphone when they don't.   ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

One of the telemarketers called the other day and said 'We are conducting a survey......'

I responded with 'No, we aren't..........click' Because the last couple of questions are always about your income.

The click was actually my pulling the phone line from the jack. ;D

After doing this about 20 times I finally got CapitalOne trained as to not call here to push their cards. I'm even getting application notices from the University, seems they are pushing credit cards off on Alumini. They do this to students also, and a credit card is the last thing a student needs.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

We had a young lady in Iowa not too long ago get herself into a world of hurt. She drove an hour north of her home for an interview. She never showed up for the interview, and when she didn't come home that evening her folks were very worried, and a search was put into motion. No one could find her, and she didn't call home to tell them where she had gone. Several days went by, and a road crew found her car. She was still in the car, and she was alive and had been conscious, just waiting and hoping that someone would find her.  After several weeks in the hospital, she recovered, but both of her legs had to be amputated. As it turned out she did have a cell phone with her....she had forgotten to charge the battery. If she had only been able to use her phone to call for help.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

PineNut

Had a telemarketer call the other night, same phone number that has been calling for several weeks. I think it was from Bellsouth. Figured it was about time to answer it. Seeing as I had no desire to talk with them, I just let the TV talk to them. Guess they didn't care about that because they were gone when I picked up. The TV is good for something.

Gary_C

Late this afternoon, I met a car and the driver had his left foot out the window and resting on the rear view mirror.   :o

What an idiot! Guess we need to ban that too?    :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Faron

I vote no ban, - but people need to use some common sense.

My wife kind of talked me in to carrying a cell phone.  I didn't think I wanted or needed one.  I needed it.  Many customers can now reach me when they need to talk to me, and that makes life easier for both of us.  I may be in the woodshop, the sawmill, farm, or woods.  If I depend on the answering machine at home, it may mean a trip back, whereas with the cell phone, lots of times I can take care of the customer's needs before I come home.  Friday my wife got in her car, dog tired after a long day, and the DanG thing wouldn't start.  50 miles from home and really no one available to call down there, at least not without emptying her pockets and mortgaging her firstborn.  She got hold of me, cell phone to cell phone.  I was able to get there and fix the problem, but I wouldn't have been home to answer the phone for another 2 hours at least.  It works the other way, too.  I often call someone to pick me up when I am moving equipment from farm to farm. 

I answer the phone whenever it is safe to do so.  I don't see any reason to keep a customer waiting.  He just might have both hands full of cash for me. ;)

Gary_C ,   Ya shoulda honked, man.  That was probably me going to fix the car! ;) :D

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

sandman2234

I will probably catch some heat for this one...
     I have driven all over this country, in familiar towns, and others that I hope to never have to return to. Since the early 90's, I have had a cell phone, and have managed to talk on it without getting in too much trouble. Or in other words, have managed to avoid hitting or running into anyone or anything.
   I did manage to ruin my almost perfect record in a small town in Florida, by catching a telephone pole coming out of a parking lot. A lady came out of the parking lot across the street from me, and I was in her lane. I spun the wheel to avoid her, and actually drove across the base of the pole with one tire. Never touched it with the vehicle, and managed to miss her, but ruined my perfect record.
    I have a friend who cannot answer a phone while driving. He knows it, and will pull off and call you back if you have hung up. I have spent hours on the phone while driving in bumper to bumper traffic, at 70+ mph down the interstates, backing up to a dock, or negotiating curves and street corners, while talking to him and others, and it amazes him.
     In case you don't know, I drive a tractor trailer for a living, and keep in touch with friends and family via a cell phone. I don't use a hands free device, mainly because I don't think holding a phone up to your ear stops you from using your eyes to watch what you are doing. It doesn't keep you from turning your head to see what is happening around you. When I need to shift a gear, I can reach thru the wheel with my other hand  and change the gears. (Truckers used to have to do this all the time with a duplex or triplex transmission,ie multiple sticks,  so don't jump on that bandwagon)
   The part that gives me the most problem, is actually dialing a phone number. The act of looking at the keypad to push the correct numbers gives me a problem. I reallly wish they would stop making keypads where each button is against the next. I used to could dial a phone without looking at it, but with new flater keys, it makes it hard to feel each key from the next.
   The technology to be completely hands free has been around for quite a while, including dialing. Mash one button, to activate it , and you don't have to look or touch the phone again. Now that was great.

A man has to know his limitations...
     David from jax

SwampDonkey

Quote from: sandman2234 on July 16, 2006, 01:40:27 PM
I will probably catch some heat for this one...

Not from me.   ::)

Modat22

I figure that a person should not do anything while driving that he or she wouldn't do while shooting a firearm.
remember man that thy are dust.

sandman2234

Kind of hard to hear a cell phone with earmuffs on. With the new technology in smaller and smaller phones, maybe they will have one that will fit inside my earmuffs pretty soon!
   David from jax