Sponsors:

Poll: Sawmill involvement

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 12, 2006, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

This poll was run a couple of years ago.  It will be interesting to see how things have changed.  Poll expires 11/27/06
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sprucegum

I voted so I could be the first to vote!  ;D

I've barely done enough to even call it a hobby but I aint done yet.

pasbuild

After four votes I find myself in the overwhelming majority
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Corley5

Currently full time logging and firewood processing.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

leweee

I 'am a part time sawyer ;D The rest of the time I'm felling trees, bucking logs, hauling logs, oganizing the log yard,cutting stickers, stacking lumber, loading trucks....ya part time sawyer. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Fla._Deadheader

Have a crew running my Peterson, and building a bandmill.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom Sawyer

Thinking about jumping in next year. 8)  I did cut full time for a WM owner for 2.5 years back in the late 90s.

pineywoods

Mine is a hobby operation which is threatening to turn into a full-time business. I'm trying to discourage that, I'm retired, don't want a full time job..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thurlow

Full time husband, brother, uncle, christian/church member and (I hope) friend.  Part time logger, sawmill operator, carpenter, electrician, plumber, engineer, mechanic, tractor/heavy equipment operator, retiree, welder, machinest, volunteer, cook, baker, fisherman, hunter, etc;  jack-of-all-trades;    MASTER OF ABSOLUTELY NONE! ::)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  Added homemade hydraulics to a 1988 manual WoodMizer LT40. I work alone most of the time, off bearing including.

After almost 12 years of it I am about whipped.  :-\  I work like a borowed mule and it is starting to catch up with me.  I love it, but it pulls all the goodie out of me before the weekend and I'm not good for much till the next week. Something has got to change, and soon.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

CHARLIE

I was Tom's offbearer once for a can of generic peas. Had to carve my own spoon. ::)  Temp was 97° F and there wasn't any shade cause someone cut the trees down. :o Sweat was dripping from the bill of my cap, my wallet was sopping wet and my feet squished in my shoes when I walked.  Does that count? :-\
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodbowl

You DanG right that counts Charlie! That's what I'm talking about. It's exhausting, it's hot, it's hard work and it's fun. Sometimes a fellow can only stand so much fun.  :D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

OneWithWood

I'm with Lewee except I would have to add that I do have another job 'cause I am a full-time bill payer  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Burlkraft

Quote from: woodbowl on November 13, 2006, 12:05:57 AM
You DanG right that counts Charlie! That's what I'm talking about. It's exhausting, it's hot, it's hard work and it's fun. Sometimes a fellow can only stand so much fun.  :D

Maybe you guys just need to move North...It's snowing/raining right now and I gotta get some sawing done today :( :( :(  I'm gonna be squishin' but it ain't gonna be from sweat.. :D :D :D

I even broke out the Long Johns today...... :o :o :o
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woodbowl

Quote from: Burlkraft on November 13, 2006, 09:28:06 AM
I even broke out the Long Johns today...... :o :o :o

Hmmm ......... I had on short pants and a tee shirt.  ::)

Burlkraft

Do ya think that's funny Olen... ???  ???  ???  ;D  ;D

beenthere

Burlkraft did too.............over da longjohns.. ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

BT,

Obviously you aren't going to show up for work today.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

treecyclers

Gang, it's very intersting that this popped up and I found it today!
Why you ask?
Because, after working for Uncle Sam for the past 4 years, and working for "The Man" for the past 19 years, today is the day that I give my two weeks notice, and jump into the lumber and milling business FULL TIME!
It's spooky and exhilarating at the same time, and it's been a long time in coming.
So, on the weekend following Thanksgiving, I will be "Gainfully Unemployed", and completely SELF EMPLOYED!
WOOHOO!!!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

woodbowl

Quote from: Burlkraft on November 13, 2006, 10:03:07 AM
Do ya think that's funny Olen... ???  ???  ???  ;D  ;D

Naw ...... It ain't funny! It ain't funny one bit, in fact it's quite a sad situation.  ;D  ;D

beenthere

Work ::) ???

When the sun shines, slight breeze, 50-60° ....... I'll be there....... just like the other day.....
:) :)

Did ja get my email ??  Don't get stuck in the mud......I'm slippin an sliddin here gettin firewood moved....wish it was frozen this morning as it would be much better.  Even snow would be cleaner to move around in than this grease..

Good on ya treecyclers. Now the fun begins.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

I'll be seein' ya next spring then...huh.. ???  ???  ???

Actually it's not that bad out...a little muddy...but good workin' temp ;)  ;)  ;)

thecfarm

Good luck treecyclers.We are all sending you best wishes.  8)   8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JimBuis

The closest I come to sawmilling is running Tokyo chainsawmill for my Industrial Arts classes.  I would like to sawmill fulltime one day, perhaps next summer when we return to the U.S.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Bibbyman

Mary and I are involved full time...  If you don't include all the long-winded customers and the occasional nap... zzzz_smiley
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94