Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: paper or plastic

Started by Ron Wenrich, August 26, 2007, 05:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

When you buy something at the store, which do you usually get?  Poll expires in about 2-3 weeks.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

crtreedude

I marked other because I honestly don't know - I don't shop in grocery stores.  :-[
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Down here, it's all plastic or cardboard boxes .
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

I choose paper, cuz then I use the bags to wrap green turned bowls in, fresh veggies from the garden and sometimes I just like to slip one over my head and pretend I'm not there.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 26, 2007, 06:55:38 PM

Down here, it's all plastic or cardboard boxes .

Pero, porque no usar bolsa de concentrato - es muy bien para la feria!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Don_Papenburg

What????????????  No speeke english????????????? 

I don't think there is a paper sack in the stores around here. and the boxes all have to go to the landfill .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Cedarman

I don't see much choice.
I get asked, "Do you want your milk in a bag"?  Maybe because it sweats or something, but I would just as soon carry by the handle rather than have a busted bag.  The federo's want to tax everything, why not tax plastic bags?  I would then remember to take my own cloth bags. Hit me in the wallet to get me to change my ways.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Carries-Mom

I guess no one around here believes in paper bags....all ya get is plastic...like everything else.. ;D

thecfarm

The grocery store here still have paper,but you have to ask for it.They use to ask you paper or plastic?I see that is starting to end too. All the other stores I guess all use plastic,walmart,lowes,home depot and all of the other stores too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

I like the plastic ones because I can bunch up the handles of about 10 of them in my hands when I'm unloading the truck - less trips back and forth to the kitchen.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Furby

Yes, but would you even have ten bags if they were paper ???

Mooseherder

I'll try to find out the most current cost on the bags tomorrow.
Last I heard the plastic were a fraction of a penny and the Paper were about 5 cents.
In other words companies save millions by using plastic. The paper bags are guarded. :D
I like the paper bags. We re-use all bags for alot of stuff.
My favorite is taking hot fries outta da grease, put em in a Paper Bag with paper towel to soak up the grease and shake after throwing some salt in. The sides of the bag gets all greasy. ;D

Don_Papenburg

What gets me is when they put two items in a bag and start on annother one  .  Then I end up with 20 bags and all could have fit in one or two. 

Engineer

You oughta see the reaction when I tell the cashier ("checkout scanner operator") that I want paper bags.  Rolls eyes, big sigh, angry look, etc.  One time I was asked "Are you sure?".  Another time one of 'em said "We're out of paper bags" so I waited until she had half the groceries packed and then reached under the bagging area and pulled out a handful of 'em and waved the manager over.  That was not a pretty scene.  Some of 'em pretend not to hear you and pack half the stuff in plastic already.  I just repack it myself in paper and leave the empty bags on the belt.

Paper bags are a big deal in my house.  I pack 'em full of scrap wood and sawdust and use 'em to start the wood boiler, use 'em for fries like MH does, book covers for school for the chilluns, use 'em for scratch pads in the woodshop, paint spray protection/masking, etc.  Lots of uses.  Plastic bags are no good except for hauling used diapers to the transfer station.  At least around here they generate power from the plastic that's thrown away.

What's worst is the places like Home Dopey that don't even give you the paper option.   >:(

Jeff

I tend to be Bi-sackual but prefer paper.  ;D

Up north in Cedarvile and De Tour, they dont ask. They give you paper bags with strap handles. They are great.  They hold what three plastic bags will hold, and I can bring my laundry home from the cabin in them.

Here in Harrison, we are in plasticville.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

solodan

I get paper, we use them for firestarter. gets a fire going on dry lodgepole or incense cedar with no kindlin, but I got plenty of kindlin, and plenty o sawdust too. ;D but I still aint using them plastic bags, there too small and the paper ones have handles anyway. I clean up litter from time to time along the highway near my log yard, and I even pick up after the flatlanders when they find our spot on the river, and you know what ? I don't think I have ever picked up a paper bag. ??? Paper is reusable, or used for fuel, or biodegradable. Those stores that only use plastic rarely see my money. And why wouldn't they put it in plastic, most of the stuff they sell is plastic, the tools, the decking, the siding, the appliances, the toys, the garden sheds. :-\  I think the tree huggers have truly won. :'( ??? :D

ARKANSAWYER

I like paper.  Just do not get a good wipe with plastic and they seem to clog more.  ::)   Sure miss the Sears Catalog.
ARKANSAWYER

Brucer

We take our own canvas bags. 25 years ago Barb made a whack of lightweight canvas bags that were the same size and shape as the plastic grocery bags. She figured the stores had worked out the optimum size (not too big when full of heavy stuff, not too small to hold the bulky stuff). By making them the same shape as the grocery bags, they fit on the racks that many stores use to hold the bags open. Eventually they wore out -- 20 years later. So we're on our second set of canvas bags now.

Funny thing -- the local recycling council is promoting canvas bags now. They're flogging great big things that don't fit on the racks in the grocery stores, hold way too much, and are consequently about 3 times as bulky as Barb's design.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

farmerdoug

We perfer plastic here at this house.  But I reuse all of the bags anyways.  We use them for bagging plants at market for the customers.  I use new plastic bags when selling veggies but hate to use new ones for plants.  I tell my customer that I reuse bags and they are more than welcome to give me their used ones.  Paper bags do not like wet plant pots much. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

KarenKae

I prefer paper and ask for it if I have a chance of getting it.  Mostly stuck with plastic from SuperCenter.  However, my husband works for the Supercenter and he said there was a meeting of middle management about how to re-introduce paper bags and eliminate the plastic ones. It was only a 'in store' meeting .. but hey!  they could be ON to something!
I think they are being pushed by expenses as plastic bags are made from petroleum and that has gotten much more expensive.

katie-did

Paper Please!

If I have a choice I would rather have paper but unfortunately most of my shopping happens at the Superstores and all they have is plastic.  :(  I will give them one brownie point in the fact that they have a box that you can return them to be recycled. So when I come home for my big once a month trip I just unload the bags and toss them in the middle of the kitchen floor and bag them all back up and put them back in the truck for the next trip.

I have very little respect for the training of cashiers this days though they have no idea about common sense  :-\ YOU DO NOT PUT CLEANING SUPPLIES IN WITH FOOD, AND CLOTHING GOES IN A BAG BY ITSELF. I will only shop during the day and I am picky as to which cashier I pick when checking out so I do not get a lot of grief when I want things done my way.  I have to unload my cart so that I know that things get bags correct and so I end up with as few bags as possibly. I put all of my colds, boxes, can and cleaning stuff together so that I know that they will get bags separately. You can fit more in a bag if you put likes together and if you can only fit one thing in a bag or if you have to double bag it other then cans don't bother bagging it. I cut my number of bag in half by doing this.

Personally, I love the stores that promote boxes and gives you the option to pay extra to get the paper bags. I guess I am a little biased since paper and boxes put the food on our table. Part-Timer works in a 100% recycle paper mill. But I figure that by me recycling my plastic bags are putting food on someone else's table and hopefully they are recycling there paper and cardboard for us. 8)

You would think that more stores would promote customer to take the boxes since they have to pay to have them haled way. The middle man it really making out because they get paid to haul the bails way and then they charge top dollar to sell it to the mills.  :-\

Talking about the price of paper verses plastic the plastics would not be a cheep if they would make the bags heavy enough to hold what was being put in them. :o

Brucer- sound like your wife need to patent them bags you could be making millions!  ;)
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Brucer

I don't think it's patentable (is that a word) ???

In any case, I wouldn't want to make a buck off it. Maybe we could get someone to manufacture a bunch of these bags and stick the FF logo on them. Sale proceeds to go to Jeff, naturally.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

IMERC

use their boxes that the food stock comes in...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Don_Papenburg

Used to be a grocier in town that had a stack of boxes that his products came in setting by his cashregister.  He ran the whole store himself ,for the most part. anyway when you would check out he would look at his stack, pick a box and box up your goods and they fit the box without any gaps that would let them fall or slide . Then he would offeer to carry them to your car.

Bill

FWIW

I choose paper - then use 'em to collect the junk mail or old newspapers that're left over for recycling day.

They also do double duty for other stuff - once even pulled the old trick of making carb gaskets when nobody could find a rebuild kit at the auto parts place - worked cool  ;D

SwampDonkey

The big supermarkets here have enviro bags now. I suppose they are made from recycled plastics. Nothing to stop anyone from using their own cloth ones. Paper bags for groceries went out of here years ago as soon as Irving started their on plastic bag business, since they run the largest refinery in Canada, and building a second one. 

My father used paper and burlap in the potato business. I remember wrestling those wired up, 1000 burlap bag bundles. What wasn't so fun was toting them full of 100 lbs of potatoes and stacking them on pallets 8 feet high. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

When Mary shops at Wal-Mart,  we get about 20 plastic bags.  Some with just one item in them.

We also do a lot of bulk shopping at Aldies - they charge 5¢ for a paper bag I think.  Mary takes a big box and has it in the back of the Durango.  She'll empty the cart of all the small items in the box and the rest just has to hold on the best it can.

There is a new grocery store in town. It's not a mega-mart and it's on our side of town making it even better.  Mary's shopped there a time or two.  The last time she said something about all the plastic bags and they asked if she wanted paper she said yes so they d-sacked all the stuff and re-stuffed it in paper bags.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

treebucker

Ok, I saw something on TV last week where a company was using recycled grocery bags mixed with wood chips to produce decking boards. The boards contained color throughout and were guaranteed not to warp, split, check, etc... I can't remember if I saw it on The History Channel's The Boneyard "Garbage" episode or on Ask This Old House or on This Old House.  This seems to bring the wood back into the grocery bag. Or is is the grocery bag back into the wood?

I use whatever is handy (paper, plastic, boxes, shirttail, nieces, nephews, etc.)

Do fences and power lines geta vote here? They sure do like them plastic ones. :D
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

schmism

i use a combo of both.

I perfer to bag my own as i know what i want in what bags.

Boxy sq stuff i put in paper.

heavy bulky stuff (cans etc) i put 3x more in one bag then double bag it,   i dont want to have to carry 15 bags with 2 items in each bag!
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

isawlogs

Here we still have choice of plastic or paper in the smaller convinience stores .. the box stores almost all went to plastic .   We do have some bags available at the stores , these bags are made of heavy plastic and have handles sewed to them , much like the bags that Eaton's and Sears had a long time ago ( I dont recall there names ...  this happens to me from time to time ...  ::)  )  we buy them for one dollar and the store credits you .03 cents for every bag you use for your groceries . I had one with me at the piggy roast ... it never did make it back over da border   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Some stores here now are weaning the public off plastic bags by charging $0.05 a bag at the grocery til. Many will be toting those cloth bags or boxes. Some store chains have been doing this for over 10 years in other provinces. In Wal-Mart the other day I noticed a big bin full of paper grocery bags, only they weren't labeled as such. I forget now what they were marketing them as. It never took in my memory cells. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironmower

I ain't seen paper bags in the grocery stores around here in 20 years :( My wife keeps'em and crochets rugs out of them ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD