iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quoting chainsaw mill job

Started by Ctsawyer, April 29, 2019, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctsawyer

I'm sure this topic has been discussed plenty of times.  Ive been using the scribner scale to get a rough idea of the board footage in a log.  what do you all think about charging $0.75/ bdft for chainsaw milling 2 inch slabs? example: a log that has 300 bdft according to the scale would cost $225 to mill into 2 inch slabs

mddillon78

I'm curious what others do as well.  I've done one job and charged by the hour.
Michael Dillon
Dillons Woodworks - New Hampshire
Custom Sawmilling and Woodworks
Dillonswoodworks
Dillonswoodworks - YouTube

terrifictimbersllc

If you're offering wide slabs that aren't competing with bandsawing I think you could easily charge twice that. I've been charging $2-$2.50 per square foot for wide chain slabbing with the Peterson, not everyone wants to pay it but plenty do.  More than I want to cater to. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Stephen1

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 29, 2019, 07:29:16 PM
If you're offering wide slabs that aren't competing with bandsawing I think you could easily charge twice that. I've been charging $2-$2.50 per square foot for wide chain slabbing with the Peterson, not everyone wants to pay it but plenty do.  More than I want to cater to.
I would agree with twice that. I like an hourly rate for the custom jobs. How long would it take you to chainsaw mill? How long would it take on the peterson? 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

terrifictimbersllc

Example 30" log 8 ft long, cut into 2-1/4" slabs, clean, 11 cuts, 178 sq ft sawn area estimate, probably take about 2 hr overall if customer removed slabs promptly.  

But that's not including travel, setup, packing up which is what these jobs are largely about.   I wouldn't do a log like described above, it would go on the woodmizer get cut off at 26" and then slabbed giving one live edge and that would take about 20-30 min. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Mfrost459

One thing you have to consider when slabbing out a large log is how to move the slabs.Large log slabs are extremely heavy and it usually takes extra equipment to handle the slabs. We did one log that was 14' long 50" wide and cut it 3.5" thick. It was all our skid steer could handle. Make sure your customer knows what equipment is needed or you may waste a lot of time.
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Thank You Sponsors!