iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I'm about 20 hours post shot and I woke up at 4am with a headache, but not terrible.  The arm is sore, but that is just like other vaccine shots.  I had anthrax vaccine a few months ago.  That really made my arm sore.  I have one more of those as its a 3 shot series.  I think that's coming up soon.

I've confirmed that signing dad up for VA is not gonna happen in a timely fashion.  He will just have to wait til the county health dept. has it.  That should be still this month.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

They announced yesterday to do 65+ residents (1b?) in my county (80,000 pop.) but are only allotted 3,000/week but have the capacity to administer 7,400/week.  So if all 65+ want the shot, it will take somewhere between 26 or as little as 11 weeks to work through that group.  That's if the 3,000 doses continue to show up as it has been as little at 100 doses/week being delivered.  Warp speed has slowed to molasses in my county.  We are mostly rural and right leaning in a left state.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

Is your 80,000 the total population or the number of seniors.  the people in 1A would not be in that group, as well people who have had covid in the past 3 months, and the people who refuse the shot, and those under 65.  I hope you get it soon.  If we have a new pandemic every year, we will get these details ironed out. but this is new, and not something were planning on.  Hope you get it (vaccine) soon.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

firefighter ontheside

One thing that should help with supply is that the feds have agreed to start letting all doses be used for the first dose.  What they had been doing was only sending out half of what was available so that they could be assured there would be a second dose available for those who got the first.  Apparently production is to the point that they trust there will be "more where that came from".  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

The whole shot and supply system is messed up, politicians making medical decisions.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 15, 2021, 01:44:29 PM
The whole shot and supply system is messed up, politicians making medical decisions.
Unfortunately it kind of has to be centrally coordinated by "someone". The vaccines will be arriving from different suppliers / factories, and then being send to multiple other front line agencies in multiple different states. This all has to be worked out so that the doses end up in the right places and can be transported and stored correctly so it's not wasted (or rendered useless by poor storage, but used anyway)  
US medical system is pretty fragmented with multiple companies and agencies providing care. Potential for stuff ups is pretty great. 
I wouldn't want the job  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: doc henderson on January 15, 2021, 11:49:21 AMIs your 80,000 the total population or the number of seniors.
That is just the seniors.  My county has a population of just under 400,000 with seniors making up 19.9%
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Paul_H

Just read this earlier today

QuoteThe Norwegian Medicines Agency announced in a press release that as of Thursday, the Norwegian health registry has received reports of 23 people who died shortly after receiving their first dose of the vaccine.

Norway warns frail patients over 80 of vaccine risks after deaths | TheHill
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

doc henderson

hopefully they will have ongoing improvements in your county.  usually the health folks hold onto control, until it gets old and then loosen up.  at age 80, just a hip fracture has a high mortality.  choices. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

PatD and I got our vaccinations this afternoon, "Moderna", so 28 days until the booster.  We were at the tent drive through facility 45 minutes which included the 15 minute wait.  Military personnel were handling the entire operation and it went like clockwork.  I never knew when the needle stuck and actually asked if it was over??

Edit:  I was re-reading the above and noticed that "spell check" had changed the vaccine name.  I changed it back.  My arm is a bit sore from the stick but we both lived through the night so I guess we are OK.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Paul_H on January 15, 2021, 03:20:48 PM
Just read this earlier today

QuoteThe Norwegian Medicines Agency announced in a press release that as of Thursday, the Norwegian health registry has received reports of 23 people who died shortly after receiving their first dose of the vaccine.

Norway warns frail patients over 80 of vaccine risks after deaths | TheHill
But also in the article...
Quote"For those with the most severe frailty, even relatively mild vaccine side effects can have serious consequences," the Norwegian Institute of Public Health said, according to Bloomberg. "For those who have a very short remaining life span anyway, the benefit of the vaccine may be marginal or irrelevant."
I think they are talking about people that are already at high risk of dying from even the Common Cold. 
I guess the question here is do you vaccinate the really old and sick? I would suggest you still do because it protects the staff caring for them, and the other residents that might not be as frail. The people that died would almost certainly not have survived an actual Covid infection, and if they contracted it from a visitor or care worker, they could easily pass it on the others. The benefit to the individual patient "may be marginal", but the benefit to the rest of the facility may be much higher.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Paul_H

I just posted a story that popped up in several news agencies,I don't like to editorialize. I presume they are just as dead from the vaccine as if covid got them.

firefighter ontheside

Definitely a tough call to make.  We already know that a huge percentage of covid deaths are among nursing home residents.  That won't stop without people getting vaccine.  Pts are in and out every day, so they can't just close the doors and keep covid out.  I would wager that more would die from covid if unvaccinated than will die from vaccination.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Quote from: Paul_H on January 15, 2021, 06:05:47 PM
I just posted a story that popped up in several news agencies,I don't like to editorialize. I presume they are just as dead from the vaccine as if covid got them.
Yeah, but you know some anti-vaxxer is going to pick up the story and run with it. 
So just trying to put it in context, that they say about 400 people die in rest homes in Finland on any normal day, because they are old and sick, and it's 1/2 expected. 
We know that there is possible side effects, up to "mild flu like symptoms". When people are that frail, mild flu could certainly be the last straw. 
Sorta ironic that in most places seasonal flu has been almost non-existent over 2020. That would normally have taken a lot of those frail old folks out 6 months ago....  Maybe the 10% most frail should skip the vaccine, and rely on immunity of those around them getting the shots? But will it actually make a big difference?

Paul_H

QuoteYeah, but you know some anti-vaxxer is going to pick up the story and run with it.

People are going to draw their own conclusions and it's not up to me to control other's thoughts. Some have had severe reactions to the vaccine many have not. It's good to see all the data.  :)

Ed_K

Because of my type of cancer, I've been told not to get the vaccine. The nurse practice'ner said that they don't have enough information to make a decision.
Ed K

doc henderson

the side effects were fever and nausea and it "may have contributed".  If you are so frail you cannot survive nausea and or fever, you will not likely survive covid.  One of my former military docs, who is often deployed for a month or two in reserves, will be out in Feb. dong vaccination duty.

azmtnman

In a strange turn of events, I got my vaccine yesterday (Pfizer) and an appointment for our 2nd dose. 
  We work at a church on a reservation. The tribal government called us and told us to schedule our vaccinations. My wife called to schedule it yesterday morning and we got it the same day! It took us 1-1/2 hours. 2/3 of that time was because we are not standard Indian Health Services patients and had some paperwork to fill out.
  IHS is run mostly by military Drs. (mostly U.S. Navy) so it was very efficient without bringing back memories of walking through a vaccination line in boot camp!  :D :D :D
  So far, we are the youngest, non-healthcare personnel that we know to get it. I have ZERO side effects--not even a sore arm! My wife's arm is sore but she's fine too. 
   We are using our experience and example to encourage our friends that might be leary of getting the vaccine to get it. 

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 06, 2021, 08:59:46 PM
Off topic, but we have one of these:

H2oral Irrigator Floss Do You Hate to Floss? are You not Wanting to Spend A Fortune On A Water Flosser

Amazon.com: H2oral Irrigator Floss Do You Hate to Floss? are You not Wanting to Spend A Fortune On A Water Flosser: Health & Personal Care
This contraption us genius!
I drilled out the restrictor hole so I get more water flow to the shower head.
Put the water pick in the garage junk box.
No more mess and easier to use so it's used more.
Thanks Dan!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

firefighter ontheside

Good deal @azmtnman I'm happy for you.  I had a headache yesterday which is now gone.  My arm was pretty sore yesterday, but that is barely noticeable now.  I'm just short of 48 hours out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old saw fixer

Happy to hear of so many unremarkable post vaccination symptoms.  Wife and I are 1C tier, we might get the shot before spring. VA has been slow with the rollout. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

firefighter ontheside

@Old saw fixer you ought to check again.  You're probably in 1B being 72 years young.  They may be starting 1B soon.  My state has officially started 1B but we have no vaccine available in the county for 1B yet.  I got lucky that mine came from a different county thru the hospital system that is our medical control.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

Hay Doc have you seen a person go a week and a half or so doing ok, with it, then start a fever and low oxygen? 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Runningalucas

I appreciate you guys sharing any ailments, or more so, lack there of when it comes to side effects.  I'm on the fence, and don't mean to sound bad, but am watching others.  I don't get out that much, and when I do, it's on the land working alone; so my exposure is next to nothing almost always.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Thank You Sponsors!