iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying trees

Started by Drewster2016, August 02, 2020, 11:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewster2016

Do logging companies sell their trees directly to people that have their own log truck/ way of transporting them? 
I'm doing a little side work for a firewood co, and they have a semi truck and want to buy a log trailer to pickup logs. 

B.C.C. Lapp

I sometimes sell logs or firewood poles right off my landing and sometimes the buyers send their own truck.  Its not uncommon here in Pa at all.   But I'll ad that I usually like to deliver and use the log truck that hauls all my logs to the mill or where ever simply because the owner operator that hauls for me is a good guy to work with and I hate to see loads he would have hauled go to another truck.  

Also you get people telling you they are sending their truck and it doesn't show up and now you have these logs you sold laying around in the way gumming up the works.  

I forgot to ad that if your log trailer doesn't have a loader you'll only be able to buy off landings that have a loader on site.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Drewster2016

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on August 02, 2020, 11:46:15 AM
I sometimes sell logs or firewood poles right off my landing and sometimes the buyers send their own truck.  Its not uncommon here in Pa at all.   But I'll ad that I usually like to deliver and use the log truck that hauls all my logs to the mill or where ever simply because the owner operator that hauls for me is a good guy to work with and I hate to see loads he would have hauled go to another truck.  

Also you get people telling you they are sending their truck and it doesn't show up and now you have these logs you sold laying around in the way gumming up the works.  

I forgot to ad that if your log trailer doesn't have a loader you'll only be able to buy off landings that have a loader on site.  
If the trailer has a loader on it, they are allowed to load themselves? The trailers I've seen with loaders looked like they would have to be short logs, do they get cut so they will fit on the trailer? 

mike_belben

Everything sells to the high bidder.  The more you bid the more you can dictate the terms.  That is not to say you can buy any log you want and turn a profit ontop.

But everything is negotiable. There are no rules. Its all case by case. Ya wont know the terms until ya step out of your truck, find the other party and get to talkin.
Praise The Lord

B.C.C. Lapp

Well Drew, here in Pa trucks with loaders haul short logs, 8, 10, 12 footers.  But they also haul pole length for chip plant or scrag mill, and that can be 23 to 25 ft. depending on the truck. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

moodnacreek

The best way to buy logs that I have found is to hook up with someone who sells logs all the time. Have a place he can unload 24/7. You get the logs when he needs to get rid of them and he knows you will pay cash the next time you see him.  Yes it all depends on the honesty and knowledge of both parties. I have been doing it this way for a long time. Never refuse a load unless it is very bad. If the stuff is not so good, tell him not to bring any more. If you are on the side of the main road, pile logs there as this can attract other suppliers.

Thank You Sponsors!