iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Blades

Started by Andy Harden, May 06, 2008, 10:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Harden

Has anyone heard of a band saw blade with less than one tooth per inch. That would make a rougher but faster cut.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Quote from: Andy Harden on May 06, 2008, 10:05:09 AM
Has anyone heard of a band saw blade with less than one tooth per inch. That would make a rougher but faster cut.

Andy
I'd be interested to hear what the logic is behind the "rougher but faster" cut....can ya tell us more?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andy Harden

Quote from: beenthere on May 06, 2008, 12:10:18 PM

Andy
I'd be interested to hear what the logic is behind the "rougher but faster" cut....can ya tell us more?

Well I was looking at the small band saw ion my shop. The less teeth on the band the faster cut in the same type wood. I also noticed the cut was less smooth.

On my band mill I have tried some 7/8 by 1.5 blades and they do not cut as fast as the one inch pitch. I think my logic is kinda fuzzy but it just made me think less teeth might drag more saw dust. My neighbor is running a 52 inch round mill. The tooth spaceing is over an inch. Big chunks of saw dust and a fast rough cut.

Dan_Shade

my understanding is that it will take more HP to pull a band with less teeth through the wood, but you may have a bigger gullet to get rid of more sawdust.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dodgy Loner

The bigger gullet is the key.  Once the gullet fills up with sawdust, it's no longer cutting effectively.  The same principle applys to all sawblades, including circular saws and handsaws.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Andy Harden

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 07, 2008, 09:06:08 AM
my understanding is that it will take more HP to pull a band with less teeth through the wood, but you may have a bigger gullet to get rid of more sawdust.

Well I have a 51 HP CAT® Diesel Engine. If I run out of power I have a Volvo diesel out of a passenger car. I think it has a lot more power. It is a Turbo charged 4 cylinder.

I just thought it might be a good alternative to my present blades. With the exception of the Wood Miser blades I haven't heard of anything else like that.

Mo

Hello gents, your thoughts so far are correct. With the wider tooth spacing you need a higher horsepower unit.
The 51 Cat is fine. The wider the spacing the more gullet capacity to remove the sawdust as mentioned,
which in turn allows faster cuts. 8) My personal experiance in poplur, red oak and hard maple is awesome!
One thing to remember regaurdless of your blade profile, always saw as fast as you can and still keep a strieght cut.
This will give you longer blade life.

Dan_Shade

Mo, welcome to the FF, and thanks for sharing info with us.

what is your minimum horsepower recomendation for the 1 1/8 blades? 

also, figuring out drive speed is one of the harder parts of learning to saw, do you have any pointers on  how to run the "saw as fast as you can and still keep a straight cut" ?  That sounds simple, but it's really not for a lot of us.

Mo

Thank you. Well you have nailed me! Your power feed speed is determined by so many things as I'm sure you know. So to give a actual concrete awnser, I'd be telling a lie. I listen to my blade and watch my cut. The blade will all most "sing" when you have the correct speed. It is something you learn on your own machine in time because each machine is different.
As far as the minimum horsepower, nothing less than a 42 horse because of rim speed.

HUMS MILL

Fellow nail cutters
Got a 1 1/8" tooth space blade from WDMIZER. Great blade. Cut hickory ,red oak, and 3 yr old hemlock with it. Stayed true. I have 40 hp diesel on LT40hd. Need to get it sharpened a few times to see how long it takes to break. I tried some 1 1/4 x 55 deg blades, they worked good, but 2-3 sharpenings they broke. Use RESHARP.
  Gotta go, have logs on deck AND a Honey do list ::)

Hum

Thank You Sponsors!