iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing white oak flooring

Started by KDEC19, March 13, 2004, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDEC19

Hello got my new mill two weeks ago.  great machine.  LT40HDG25-RA Have bunch of photos of maine and the new buit!!  Will post in next few days.  Wanted some advice on sawing this first load of flooring.  We have a few large white oaks on the farm and want to make flooring.  Thinking 1 x 8 or 1 x 10 boards.  is the best way to square a cant and then saw the boards staight down.  Or should we saw slab and the cut staight through the whole log and edge the boards on the mill.    Also any thoughts of woodmizers solar kiln.  Thanks  much.  p.s.   dropped one tree today 31" at the cut.  :D Should be real nice.  
gonna do it again......

Oregon_Sawyer

If your white oak is the same as Oregon White Oak you will want to keep the flooring boards down to not over 6in wide.

When I cut Oak I square up the log and then cut to the cant width I want and then cut from top to bottom.  You might want to box the heart and use that for something else.

At 31 inches I would quarter saw the log using the WM method.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Thank You Sponsors!