iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ashtrol ash, ok to use in garden?

Started by Chuckolicious, January 19, 2010, 06:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckolicious

I'd like to use the ash from my EC2300 in my compost/vegetable garden.  My only worry is the Ashtrol and what might be in it.  Anybody know if its ok?

Woodwalker

I think it's just lime and as to the garden, it's going to depend on the pH of your soil.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

SwampDonkey

I don't know what ashtrol is, but straight wood ashes are fine. Only thing is, if your growing taters they'll get scabby. But won't be harmful, just not smooth skinned.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wi woodcutter

I was told that ashtrol was just lime too. I just buy a bag of lime and use that instead of buying ashtrol from Central Boiler for way too much.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

WH_Conley

Bill

SwampDonkey

There are also some nutrients in ash. I know it will grow nice tall, dark green, grass in the ditch where I dump the ash can in winter. The little box elder growing there seems to like it too. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wi woodcutter

Quote from: WH_Conley on January 19, 2010, 10:06:04 PM
Why is it used?

Ashtrol is used to keep the inside of the firebox in your Central Boiler cleaner.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Dean186

Quote from: WH_Conley on January 19, 2010, 10:06:04 PM
Why is it used?

From the Central Boiler Manual "Ashtrol is a pH modifier that helps to neutralize acids that may form in the firebox."

rpote

So that would make it a carbonate or a lime product presumably if used to raise pH of the ash. Most likely used to avoid acid corrosion byproducts from attacking steel. My guess.

Chuckolicious

Yea, but nobody really knows what's in it.  I'm going to make some calls and see if I can get a definitive answer.  I just assume not poison myself unless absolutely necessary.   :D

beenthere

It was discussed here last year, and someone did know. Maybe a search will bring it up. The lime seemed to be the answer, just packaged with the trade name.  But prolly should not go on what I recall.  :)

I've not used any additives in my boiler in 25 years. Knock on wood, have had no leaks yet.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodcarver

Wood ashes can be problematic in a vegetable garden. They do have nutrient value.  They contain no nitrogen, but do contain some phosphorus and a signifcant amount of potassium.  I've read that the term potash originates from the Dutch word for wood ashes, potasch.

Wood ashes also contain calcium carbonate and will increase soil PH in the same way as lime.  Roughly speaking it takes about twice the amount by weight of ashes to raise soil PH to the same degree as a given amouint of lime. Many vegetables (and fruit) crops prefer a soil PH below 7.  A few, potatoes and blue berries for example, like the PH to be down around 5.5.

Depending on the PH of the garden soil and the crops being grown wood ashes might raise the PH above desirable levels.  If ashtrol is lime or similar to lime in chemical composition it may increase the alkalinity of the ashes.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Thank You Sponsors!