iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooding in Northern BC

Started by SwampDonkey, June 07, 2007, 05:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well, just thought I'd draw some attention to the current flooding situation in Northern BC. We have some members up there along the Skeena including Percy in Terrace who runs a sawmill. And a member (name has slipped my mind) in Prince Rupert. For those that don't know it, Terrace is a small city build on a broad flood plain.  You don't dig down very far before you hit old gravel beds. Surrounded by the coast mountains with several feet of snow up there, even into September there is snow in those peaks. In Prince Rupert, there is no danger of flooding because the Skeena is well to the south, the rail and the road is closed though. They follow the river valley. There already have been barges of food and supplies sent from the lower mainland. Prince Rupert is an Island city and that island is in ocean water. The mayor has stated there is no need for panic in his town, just can't drive out of there. But, there is a Ferry system.

They are on watch at some communities in the upper reaches of the Fraser river, including Prince George.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

We had to come home early from work on Monday because the Birkenhead river came up and was threatening to cut the highway off anout a 1/2 mile from here.

It's still one lane but we remained shut down from work since Monday because the level of Lillooet Lake which the Birkenhead feeds into,rose up over the logging road and flooded from 14 kilometre,right down to 25 km.
I heard this morning that the level went down and the grader is down sweeping the driftwood off the road.
The problem here is deep snow packs,weather around the 90° F and then lots of rain  :-\

I saw that Percy was online last night and I hope all is well with him too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

I was thinking of Percy today with the reports of flooding. Glad he is o.k.  8) There is some minor flooding along the Fraser here, some livestock has been moved to higher ground. There is a lot of debris in the river, the marine crews really need to be vigilant after dark.
Yesterday I talked with a lady who had watched three boom boats trying to catch logs that had broken loose. She said it was a hoot, just like a rodeo. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!