iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rainbow Poplar

Started by Normang, November 24, 2019, 10:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normang

whats the going price bbf, for 30 "  rainbow poplar,, virginia?

nativewolf

same as poplar, down from summer.  Poplar is Poplar.  If you saw it and sell it on craigslist, facebook, etc you'll do better and get a bit of added value but for logs...it is just a log.  

Whereabouts are you?  I'm in northern VA, close to Front Royal.  
Liking Walnut

Southside

Actually my experience is that mineral stained poplar will bring a lower price at a commodity mill as it will drop in grade due to the color.  If it can't be sold into the molding or furniture market the commodity mills don't really want it as it becomes pallet wood.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

The peanut gallery here sure wouldn't mind seeing a picture  ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

In slabs, we get $1.50 more per bdft than regular Poplar

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Waiting on these to dry

Just hope they don't fall off ceiling first :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

curved-wood

Are those streaky colors hold or tend to fade out once the piece of furniture is varnished ? Like what is happening with the bloody red streaks in negundo maple ?

PA_Walnut

Same as @YellowHammer , we get a premium for rainbow...big premium.
These 50" slabs have generated a LOT of excitement with customers!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

nativewolf

It is neat stuff for sure.  I personally love it and wished it was more UV stable.  Sadly it is not.  

In log form just not enough market, in board/slab form there is a premium and @PA_Walnut and @YellowHammer pics show you why.  

My whole farm was basically rainbow poplar, it is how I learned about it.  Sadly...had just joined the FF.  Today I'd have merchandized it much better.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

People love the colors, for sure. Always one of the first questions, "Will it keep the color?"  Apparently, as @nativewolf mentioned, keeping it out of the sun is a good way to keep color. I tell people, that it's no different that walnut...in that, if you put it in direct sunlight, the colors will fade. Thankfully modern UV/Fade resistant finishes will slow it down. 

I've been known to mention that the best recourse if fading is a concern is to budget for a replacement slab in the coming years! I always have MORE!  :D ;D 8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

They colors don't really fade, they darken, except for the pinks and light reds.  The blues will turn purple, the purple turns walnut brown, etc.  They look great, and it does help to put a UV inhibiting marine finish in them.  The thicker the coat, such as an epoxy, the lionger the color lasts.  If you put them out in the sun, yes, they will darken in a few days.  Leave them inside, out of UV rays, they stay that way for a long time, years has been our experience, even without the finish.  

We had one couple who hand picked through a pallet or two of these until they found the perfect one for a mantel to go over their big stone fireplace.  They literally took hours finding just the one they wanted.  They paid and left and a couple weeks later came back and when I asked them why, they said they put the other piece up like a mantle and could only see the live edge, so they took it down and hung it up flat like a huge picture on the stone, because it was so pretty.  It was the centerpiece of the room.  So now they were back to get an "ugly" mantle.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Magicman

The way I read the OP, he has 30" "rainbow" Poplar logs.  There is no way to add a premium to the lumber that "might" be in a log. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

I've got lots of poplar ranging up to near 36", most tops out around 24-30". I cut a couple of trees 30 yrs back that were larger yet and they had lots of color that I don't see in the smaller trees?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Normang

thanks for the replies, have gotten a number of 12 to 14' footers, up to 36", off one site, with vivid , purples, blues, reds and yellows,  just didn't know how long they would retain the colors, and if their was another market, other than crafters

YellowHammer

Here's a rainbow polar table a customer made last week.  As I said, the colors darken. 

YellowHammerisms:

Woodpecker52

Red cedar is a beautiful purple but I have never seen it last long.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

Even when the colors darken, it is exceptional wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tacks Y

What does the end of these look like? Can you see the color in the end grain? Been thinking of these ever since I saw the pictures. Not likely to find around here.

YellowHammer

Yes, the colors are very visible in the fresh cut endgrain.  
YellowHammerisms:

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Magicman on November 26, 2019, 02:14:23 PMThe way I read the OP, he has 30" "rainbow" Poplar logs.  There is no way to add a premium to the lumber that "might" be in a log. 

Not necessarily so. As @YellowHammer says, you can see the rainbow in a log. My logger is regularly looking for it for me, since I pay twice what his normal buyer does for poplar. win:win! 8)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Yes, he brought that out after I made my statement.  Remember that I am still learning too.  :P

The difference is that I only saw what the customer has, and then woo and wow after I saw it.  I am not actually seeking or looking for it.  When I start taking pictures the customer may realize that he has something special, maybe not.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Magicman on December 28, 2019, 09:29:51 AMhe difference is that I only saw what the customer has, and then woo and wow after I saw it.  I am not actually seeking or looking for it.  When I start taking pictures the customer may realize that he has something special, maybe not. 

No harm no foul. Of course EVERY customer's log is super-special, aren't they!? :D:D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

The interesting thing is that some, if not many logs, aren't equally pigmented around their circumference.  Some may only have 45° of very highly colored wood, some may be 180° or so.  I'm not sure why that is so, I've been told that's the side of the tree where the highest concentration of minerals were, but I don't know about that. 

So its important to eyeball the log before sawing and try to cut boards and slabs that have the maximum of balanced color while eliminating the boards that won't be as vivid.  That's better than just generating a stack of random color boards.

There is some trial and error involved, but it makes for interesting and enjoyable sawing.        
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!