iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody have this problem with a Kohler 25 HP

Started by Kcwoodbutcher, April 03, 2008, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcwoodbutcher

My mill had been running poorly lately, had to keep the choke partially set to keep it from missing at high rpms and from quiting at low rpms. I knew the problem was in the fuel system so I checked all the obvious things- tank screen, fuel filter, fuel pump and connections. Everything seemed OK. Next check was the carb. I popped the top of the carb and the fuel bowl was about half full of sawdust. I cleaned it out and made sure the passageway to the metering jet was clear, assembled it, and now it runs great. I still can't figure out how the sawdust got in there. I've never run it without the filters in place. Any ideas?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Kevin

pineywoods

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on April 03, 2008, 08:53:50 PM
metering jet was clear, assembled it, and now it runs great. I still can't figure out how the sawdust got in there. I've never run it without the filters in place. Any ideas?

Only way for sawdust to get into the float bowl is through the gas line. Dust blowing around while you pour gas in the tank ??? Is there a filter in the gas line between the tank and carb ??
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Nate Surveyor

I came outside to find my 3 yr old holding the water hose, with the end in the exhaust pipe of the 4-wheeler!

It is 2 stroke, and the thing was locked up, due to all the water. Had to pull the plug and crank all the water out!

:D :D

N
I know less than I used to.

Dana

I have to keep my Kohler's choke pulled 1/4 inch out. I wonder it's the same problem. Mine is 18 hp and about three years old now but has done this since it was new.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Kcwoodbutcher

I've got a 4 Year old grandson who has pushed the feed lever one or two times but he doesn't like the engine noise. Besides he's too short to reach the gas tank.

The thing has an inline fuel filter and a screen in the tank.

ladylake

My 27HP kohler has a rod with a rubber boot on top of the carb, maybe dirt could get in there.  When my governor was acting up I pulled that boot off and added a drop of oil, that was the end of the governor trouble.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Captain

Is the fuel filter a Kohler original or a basic inline plastic one from a parts store?  Sawdust can also enter in some models through the bowl vent.  I'm not remembering the vent on a CH25.

Hondas are quite prone in taking in sawdust through the bowl vent.

Captain

Kcwoodbutcher

It's a parts store filter. I didn't see an obvious bowl vent, so if there is one it's pretty small.

sawguy21

The bowl vent will be near the choke plate in the throat. Debris would need to pass through the air filter for it to cause a problem. I too suspect the in line fuel filter is not up to the task.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

I'd say no way could sawdust get through the needle and seat without problem like flooding and the carb overflowing.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

cptbob06

I frequently have the same problem with my 16 kohler. Not a lot of saw dust but enough to make the bowl look like murky. My worst problem is the seam on the gas tank leaks. If I dont put a tarp over the engine, I get rain water in my gas tank and then the carburator.

Percy

Im gonna check my edger engine tomorrow(Kohler 25) as the old gal has been a bit cranky lately. Its a 2001  with about a gazillion hours on it.  Once, about two years ago, an emloyee was running it, I couldnt hear it from the LT70 station but thought the lumber was movin rather quickly thru it. I walked over to hear the engine spinning at some gawdawfull RPM...Stuck governor... I thought that she'd grenade shortly after that but its still goin strong.....Kohler= tuff.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!