iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used saws

Started by pafire, August 27, 2004, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pafire

What do I look for when buying a used chain saw ?

DanManofStihl

You need to pull the muffler off and look at the cylinder and piston first off those are some of the most vital pieces. Then you need to look at the over all condition of the chainsaw how good of compression it has and if the chainbrake works and ask questions to the owner if that is how you are getting it from how long he has had it, how many hours, what kind of oil was used in the saw, and other minor questions. I think that is the majority of the questions Im sure i forgot a few lol
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Frickman

Welcome to the forum pafire!  8) 8)

Look in the mirror and ask yourself why you are buying a used saw. For all they cost and the problems you can run into it is usually worth it to buy a new saw. If the job is worth doing it's worth doing right. Having said that I did buy a used Stihl 021 last year in like mint condition for $100.00 off retail price. That was the first used saw I've purchased in years. It has to be an exceptional deal for me to buy a used saw.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

oldsaw

My 066 had seen some hard life as a real loggers saw.  It looks like hell, but runs like new.  The clutch is worn a bit, but it still grabs strong enough to bog the motor down as much as on any of my other saws.  Was going to change it, but for $80, it would only make me feel better, not make the saw any better.  I replaced the air filter, spark plug, rope/handle, and drive sprocket (was okay, but came with a .404) and got both a 7 and 8 tooth while I was there.  Has proven quite handy.

Watch for the big things, pull the muffler to see the shape the cylinder is in, check the gas tank to make sure the gas isn't made of jello.  Speaking of which, do you have any idea what 15 year old gas is like?  Well I already told you ,but the smell is, ah, unforgettable.  I spent too long cleaning out the carb and tank of my old Wards saw...before I found out it used 7/16" chain, and was mainly going to be part of my inadvertant "collection".

Hope this helps.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dean Hylton

I have a little experience in this. I buy and sell used saws and parts for my main living and work for a local Husqvarna dealer part time.  I am going to put into order things to look at starting with the simple first and then toward the more advanced as it goes. Go as far as you are comfortable with.  Look in the tank to see if there is mixed gas in it and smell it if it is empty. You can smell the differance. (yes I have seen saws straight gased and then had people try to unload them) look at the air filter to see if it has been taken care of. look at the pull cord to see if it is tore up, new or looks like the rest of the saw. look at the bottom of the saw to see if it was just thrown around or if it was handled with care. look for cracks in the plastic and on the handle bar.  These things indicate if some one respected their saw or just abused it and will give you an idea. Next would be to pull the muffler and look for scoring in the jug and on the piston. also while the muffler is off look to see if there is excess carbon built up from running the saw to rich, with a plugged air filter or with a dull chain for extended amount time. All signs of abuse. A simple way to check compreession is to hold the saw by the pull cord; if the saw will hold its own wieght then the saw has good rings and compression (99.9% of the time) To check bearings pull the side covers and clutch and try and move the crank up and down (if there is movement then the bearings are shot.  Inspect the cluch while it is off and look at the oiler gear while you are in there as well. When running the saw spray starting fluid around the intake rubbers and on the bearing  seals to see if you have any vacuum leaks.  I hope this helps. sorry for the short explination but I got to go.

balaban9331

hey guys!first time posting.just registered.old saws are fun to buy.i like the fact that they're mostly metal.seems all the saws these days,and many other things are made of plastic.i find that older saws were built better.not to say advancements in technology don't make for a good saw,i just like the old better.one thing with buying old is it's good if you know how to take it apart and mess around with it.that way you can fix it on your own.like i said,more fun.robert.

Thank You Sponsors!