iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neophyte Opinion: White Oak Better Than Red Oak For Framing Lumber

Started by plaindriver, August 09, 2013, 08:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

To add to your point, Mesquite, northern red oak and shumard oak are very similar.  The only difference is the depth of lobes on the leaf and the site they grow in.  The acorns are exactly the same and the bark is almost exactly the same, too.  Shumard is a high quality bottomland oak in the Coastal Plain while northern red oak does not venture below the Piedmont Plateau.  He is a fine shumard oak in the swamp.

It was just shy of 5 feet in diameter and 141 feet tall.  It was the Georgia state champion.  Sadly, it blew over in a storm.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Everything goes eventually. Hopefully some fabulous wood came from it.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Nope.  Food for the worms.  Too deep in the swamp to economically salvage. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

That is very sad. I'm sure the worms and fungi don't agree.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kansas

Soil types and location seem to make a lot of difference. I have had loggers want to mix in black oak with northern red oak on me for grade logs that come out of eastern Kansas. Both are classified red oaks, but the black oaks always had more knots, and a more red color. Then a guy I did business with in Nebraska wanted to bring me down some of his black oak logs. I said no, its never as good. He said trust me, these are. He had a sawmill, and never treated me wrong, so I said, bring it down. You couldn't tell the difference between that and a northern.

When I heard about the smell, the first thing that crossed my mind was pin oak. Which is in the red oak category technically. I don't know if it smells like that the country over, but you could swear every dog in the country stopped by and used that tree.

drobertson

Lots going on here, my only thought, for what its worth, if one is using oak for framing lumber either one is fine, so long as it is not rotten or structurally defective, the ole timers used what was available and worked with it to a practical end. Many structures are still standing because of their use and techniques of oak,    david 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on August 13, 2013, 07:50:24 AM
Nope.  Food for the worms.  Too deep in the swamp to economically salvage.
This almost brought a tear to my eye  :(
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

hackberry jake

If it wouldve been easier to salvage, it probably wouldnt have got so big.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!