iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle saw rpm...

Started by mrcaptainbob, November 26, 2010, 10:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Just a question: I thought the harder the wood, the less the saw wants to follow the grain? Unless the Australian hardwoods have a larger difference in growth ring density?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom

We saw Live Oak  here and you can believe me that a saw will follow the grain in a Hardwood.  The most confounding thing I have found is wide grain.  Loblolly pine has wide grain and gives everyone fits, band saws and circle saws alike.  Once the edge is off of the tooth, it begins to have problems.

argyle1

might as well add my 2 bits worth too----whenever i set up another mill ( i mean an older mill thats already built, not building a new one), i figure out the existing saw speed, then wharever it is , i just get the saw tech to hammer it to that speed.
I haven't had any problems between 550-900 rpm on 48 in saws, as long as you have enough power for the higher speeds.
more often than not, when a head saw is acting up , the problem is something else---like dull teeth(most often), mis-alignment of knees(we call them head blocks around here), crooked track, damaged collars,bad or loose arbor bearing allowing arbor to move in and out of cut, or saw lead set wrong.
any of these problems will heat the saw ( thereby changing the tension) and it will have to be re-hammered or rolled
bt

mrcaptainbob

Great comments and great questions. I will find the answers soon and report back....
Thanks for the guidance!

Peter Drouin

Boy im glag I have a ban saw  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tyb525

Don't get us started on band saw blades ::) :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!