iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Of all the big saws I've ever used - and I've used most all of them - I'd say the 395's are the smoothest. S'why I got two and a parts saw, and will buy another before christmas. They're my regular felling saws, and for my own work I usually got 1 with a 28" and the other with a 32". You can't drive them on the dogs with a 32" like an older 076 but they'll handle it better then most.... without the weight penalty of humping an 088/3120 around on my hills

The 372's are a real nice saw, and I think maybe one of the bet saws ever made. And I'm currently running a MS 461 for a saw in that class which is nice. And for most of what I'm cutting up there it would be a standard/sensible size. If you run say a 24" bar on a 372/461 in this stuff with your rakers set to the "hardwood" height of a carlton gauge they'll cut this stuff all day no problem (except for the incessant filling but thats a fact of life with dirty pipey logs like these) But I'm paid production, and I'm off contract felling because I need the money so I'm chasing tons. With the 395 and a 24" bar I can set my rakers at 2 swipes of a file under the softwood setting and they've got enough grunt to handle the extra bite though it can be a bit "catchy" on the pipe. Far smoother then the other fellers saws which are a 661 and an older 066 for sure.

They want 350-400 ton of logs dropped and topped from me a month. I want that on the ground in 10-12 days + a day each way travelling becasue I got my own business to attend to. You save a couple minutes on each tree and it adds up in $ and time over a trip. I'm hearing ya Mike - I've been home two days and my wrists are still tingly. But its a 5 month season to make what I can and I'll worry about tomorrow when my bills are all paid.

Most all of these logs are piped out to about 8' above ground level, I took this guy off probably 5' above ground height then butted another 3' off on the ground to get above the flair where he tightened up to compulsory. At the base I'd have called him 6' pretty easily. Thats a 28" bar...

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Skeans1

They won't dog in with a 32? I call bs I'll dawg in a 42 even in hardwood buried done it plenty, a lot of it comes down to chain prep anything with the word file or round in it shouldn't be used for production falling.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 27, 2018, 07:50:01 PM
They won't dog in with a 32? I call bs I'll dawg in a 42 even in hardwood buried done it plenty, a lot of it comes down to chain prep anything with the word file or round in it shouldn't be used for production falling.
My timber is... class 1 durability eucalypt hardwoods.  Density in the range of 75-85 lb/ft3, janka hardness from about 2000-3000 lb. Might as well say twice as dense and twice as hard as your White Oaks.
No offense meant, but I'll call bs that you've ever seen a "hard" wood. Welcome to 'straya...
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

nativewolf

Skeans having been in both continents I can say that the funky hard Eucs are just a class in their own.  It's just remarkable wood, very different ecosystem, must have evolved very differently because the wood has just a world of different hardness.  Now if you go to Venezuela and go cut in the rainforest in southern Venezuela the silica in some trees will literally ruin a chain in 1 tree.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

I don't have oak unless you head east of me, our Doug fir is hard as a rock it's not a "softwood" by any means.

Ianab

Compared to most Aussie hardwoods, any Doug Fir is soft  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

Not gonna get a tie out of that buttlog by the looks of it   :D

Thats how our scarlet oak looks.. I kinda joke that the only way to tell a scarlet oak from a red oak is to cut it down.  The scarlet will be hollow and full of black dirt.  They sure have broken my heart a time or two.  

The things we have to do to pay those dang bills.  I dont miss em, these days id rather have nothing than something with a payment. 
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Hardness is a funny thing and  the density and hardness of a timber are only one of the factors that affect it when you saw it.

As nativewolf points out silica in the wood (we get some rainforest species here that carry high siica levels too) is a chain killer. I've cut them and yeah...  logs in the white oak density/janka range and you might need to sharpen a chain couple times to put a tree on the ground. The silica in the wood means you cant hold an edge up to it.

One of the worst timbers I know to mill is Australian Red Cedar (Toon in the US/Europe). Its soft, indent it with a nail like american cherry. But the grain springs  up behind the saw and it drags on your blades/chains/bands... chips dont clear, heat builds up.... and next thing you know the cutting edges are struggling.

two of the toughest woods i know to cut are a minor species called grey bloodwood and Forest Red Gum. Plenty of Aussie hardwoods way denser and harder on the janka scale but the short interlocked grain structure makes them just tight. The mill howls in grey bloodwood like nothing else including cooktown ironwood which is (at 3820 lbf Janka) right up there with the toughest timbers in the world.

Ironwood is hard and dense... but aside from the hard factor it saws okay thought it might be quicker to attack it with an angle grinder.

They say that the Inuit have 50 words for snow and yet we - who encounter thousands of species of timbers - find ourselves stuck with a few to describe them. We really ought to make some up.

mike_belben

Well theres already a whole slew of cursewords available for the more aggravating species.  

Worst tree i ever felled was about a 30" hickory with a 4" or so dirt tube up the center.  It dulled the chain every 10 seconds and i just plain ran out of patience with it.  Sparks was a flying. 
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Ive found cutting hardwood along side a dirt rd will eat up chains lol. Cut a bunch of big oak once. Must be years and years of dust and dirt flying up grows right in the tree.

jwilly3879

We cut some special order pine this weekend. 22' and 20' 18" minimum small end along with some normal pine. 

8 logs over 4000 bf

The big one is 800 bf

Good load on the truck also

Fokke

I'm currently cutting this. The old 064 has got some noodling to do

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Geez,you guys are kinda short over there. :D 
Would like to know,what did you use the wood for? If a sawmill,how big was the mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustintheblood

That will keep more than a few families warm through a winter .... or nine
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Fokke

Quote from: thecfarm on August 02, 2018, 07:20:12 PM
Would like to know,what did you use the wood for? If a sawmill,how big was the mill?
It's all going to be firewood

nativewolf

Quote from: Fokke on August 03, 2018, 03:52:36 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on August 02, 2018, 07:20:12 PM
It's all going to be firewood
No anti-trust rules on owning too much market share?  :)  That's going to heat quite a few homes!
Liking Walnut

millcreek40

Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

coxy

I want to see that tractor pulling it  :D :D and I wouldn't want to be the one lifting it on the splitter 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

You guys ever have a job that wont end ??? This was the one for me 😂 should be completely wrapped up by this weekend, loggings done and irons moving out. 

40 bolts and she is on the trailer. 

she went to the mill tonight, wash and oil change, couple hoses.

rained like a mother the whole way up, finally getting to that big ash job I've got. 

not the best picture but was in the middle of setting another 45' bridge across a creek, doing more and more of them, have to deck it next week. 

barbender

Some of you have complemented me on my wood piles, which I appreciate, but there is another operator on our crew that takes it to the next level. While he does plenty of tap tapping back and forth, he still moves a lot of wood and the trucks love him- 

Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

But how many trucks can he back into?  

smiley_devilish
Praise The Lord

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

It took me a long time to figure out that life is just better when you can laugh at yourself.  Just think of me as a concerned citizen helping you along the road to recovery.   ;D  

Honestly, my entirely life has been a joke.  And some days its a pretty funny one at that.   

I can make piles as nice as that guy.  With a 3120 and a 14ft bar.  Just tell the cutter leave me about a foot of trim. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!