iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

35 Foot Red Oak Beam

Started by Kirk_Allen, March 29, 2005, 07:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I pulled out a red oak log from my brothers place yesterday that was just over 35 feet long and veneer quality.  It was uprooted from another tree top when they logged his property.

Any Timber Framers out there that may have an interest in this log before I cut it up into shorter peices.  I am pretty sure it will sqaure 10".  Might go 10x12 but I havenet taken any measurements on the small end yet.

I hate to cut it up but I cant use anything that long right now. 

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Greg

Kirk,

How does your mill handle such a size log? If its a veneer log, I assume you are taking all the high quality clear boards off the outside, then using the heart for the timber, right?

It always amazes when I hear about ancient old buildings that have incredibly long timbers in them, like 40 or even 50 foot continuous plates.

Unless the raw material (tree) was felled in the immediately vicinity of the building going up, I don't see how in the world a 35 or 40 foot timber could be transported of any distance, either today or in the past.

I've guess seen big trucks from utilities toting telephone poles around with a little wagon in tow, maybe thats how they move these size timbers as well. Jim have you worked on any TTRAG or other projects with super long timbers. How did they handle transport?

Also, I am now wondering, how tall is a standard telephone poll?

Greg

Jim_Rogers

Greg:
Every project I've worked on with the guild used timbers shorter than 40' so they moved them with a standard tractor trailer.
When you know you're going to need a long stick, in the olden days, you cut the tree down and hand hewed it right where it fell, so that you only moved the beam not the waste. Some teamsters had wagon's that could come apart in the middle and the front axle hooked to one end of the stick and the rear axle hooked to the rear end of the stick and the stick made up the body of the wagon. Then they'd haul it to the barn.
A lot can be done to lift it with a block and tackle for setting it up onto the wagon axles.
Climb a nearby tree, hook the block up there, hook the rope to the horse and he can lift the beam, roll the wheels under and back the horse up to lower the beam on the wheels.
Not that hard when you think it through and see it done.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Kirk_Allen

Quote from: Greg on March 30, 2005, 10:14:14 AM
Kirk,
How does your mill handle such a size log? If its a veneer log, I assume you are taking all the high quality clear boards off the outside, then using the heart for the timber, right?

I have cut some 25-28 footers on my LT with the assistance of Bibbymans info in the knowledge base.  Worked fine but if I had to do it often I would purchase a bed extension.

Turns out this log is 38 feet long, 16" at the small end, 23" at the butt.  I can haul it on my 20 foot trailer.  In fact I have hauled 40 foot telephone poles before.  I put on my 6" drop receiver and that lets the nose of the trailer drop so the back of the trailer is point slightly up.  When the long poles or logs are loaded they don't drag.  I strap and chain down the front portion of the trailer to stop them from tipping.  Since I am in the country I can go just about anywhere in the area via gravel farm roads. 

Brought back a 28' Pignut Hickory Friday.  I think Jim is right.  I will save them ;D  These beams are just to nice to cut into logs.

Thank You Sponsors!