iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Maple

Started by EZ, April 24, 2003, 06:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

A guy was telling me today that he has a sugar maple next to his garage, and last yr he was working inside and heard a big crack. He walk out side and notice the tree split from the bottom to about 12 ft up. The tree is about 40 inch at the bottom and is clear up to 12 ft. He ask me what caused it to split and wood it be any good to saw. The tree is still alive.
EZ

Minnesota_boy

Was it cold when it split?  A lot of our hardwoods and some softwoods split from the expansion of the water within when it gets real cold.  I've stood outside on a clear, cold night and listened to them crack.  They are ususally the loudest sound outside when it is -30 to -40 and the sound occurs several times a minute in this area.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Corley5

Last winter being the coldest we've had here in several years I really noticed the trees cracking and popping at night.  Sometimes really loud.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

EZ

Yes, he said it was middle of winter. Thanks guys.
EZ

Minnesota_boy

I get to saw these frost-cracked trees quite regularly.  If they crack straight up the bole, I can get the crack in one or two boards, but when they spiral crack, half the tree or more is wasted.  I need to learn how to spiral saw and then I need a use for spiral boards.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

AAWWWWW, com'on  now, Spiral staircase railings????
:) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!