iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best wood stove for me?

Started by Wedgebanger, November 03, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

thanks, fine tuning after many years.  just throwing out ideas!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

I can move heat anywhere in the house without a fan.
I say 80° but it goes down to 70° too. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 11, 2019, 05:41:04 AMI suppose there are some areas of the country where regulations of stoves exist pertaining to emissions however this part of Ohio is not one of them .

The regulations regarding Wood Stove Emissions are Federal regulations (though I suppose some states may have additional regulations). Last I checked, the Federal regulations only affected the production and sale of stoves. Existing stoves are grandfathered. (I'll admit, it's been a while since I checked.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

You can move air around with a ceiling fan .I have 5 of same .Another later this winter .

woodfire

my house is 1100 sf, and last year I got one of Englands 13nc models, its way too small, if there is any moisture at all in firewood it won't burn unless the door is left open, my house is very very old and not insulated well and when it gets down to 25 degrees or less this stove just does not do the job.
I've got to get a bigger stove maybe the 30nc
it is very efficient when burning well seasoned completely dry wood but has never burned through the night, not even 4 hours no matter what kind of wood and how completely fully stuffed the firebox is.
its a step up from the busted, cracked and split stove that was in the house, that stove was probably from the 30's. and the house from honest Abes day or before and it aint no log cabin, maybe a converted chicken coop.
the englander burns 1/3 the wood that's the good part of it if there is any

Raider Bill

Quote from: woodfire on December 06, 2019, 01:57:15 PM
my house is 1100 sf, and last year I got one of Englands 13nc models, its way too small, if there is any moisture at all in firewood it won't burn unless the door is left open, my house is very very old and not insulated well and when it gets down to 25 degrees or less this stove just does not do the job.
it is very efficient when burning well seasoned completely dry wood but has never burned through the night, not even 4 hours no matter what kind of wood and how completely fully stuffed the firebox is.
its a step up from the busted, cracked and split stove that was in the house, that stove was probably from the 30's. and the house from honest Abes day or before and it aint no log cabin, maybe a converted chicken coop.
the englander burns 1/3 the wood that's the good part of it if there is any
One of my biggest regrets when building the Tenn house is buying a englander wood stove.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

Quote from: woodfire on December 06, 2019, 01:57:15 PM
the Englander burns 1/3 the wood that's the good part of it if there is any
I'm not familiar with the Englander 13-NC woodstove, but I see the specs on it are that it will "produce up to 60,000 BTUs". If it actually will reliably put out that kind of heat, your problem is more likely related to your home's insulation.

I have a Hearthstone Phoenix stove that is also rated for 60,000 BTUs. It does a good job heating 2300 square feet of my home (at least until I get multiple days in a row of -10˚F temperatures - then it struggles a bit).

The FIRST place to start is in insulating and tightening up your home. Don't put money into a bigger or better stove until you have done that. It can completely change the size of stove you need for that space. You don't want to buy a new stove, then later do the insulating and sealing and find your stove drives you right out of the house when operating.

Once you have the house well-insulated and sealed against air infiltration, then re-assess your stove situation. You may find the Englander works well for you. However, if you do still need to replace it, there are a number of higher-quality brands, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

doc henderson

just like in High School, the prettiest girl may not be the one you want to spend the rest of your life with!  :P :) :D 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

1920 Sq Feet here, two story and walk in basement. I use a furnace with blower fan. I can use in power outage, either gravity or generator. I have a generator set up. Back up is an electric side unit, 20K-watts. Been burning wood now since Mid September. The brand I have here is Napoleon. It's a model 150. Lots of heat, and I did not over size. The 200 would likely put you out of the house. :D I keep it mid 70's during the day and let it out at night and let temps go down to 68 for sleeping. I can make it a lot hotter than 70's, but I don't care to live in misery. :D I keep humidity around 40 % and have an air exchanger. I've probably burnt less than 1/2 cord every 2 weeks. I check my pipes a few times a winter, never anything to it. I clean ash every few days. I also clean the glass door often with a putty knife. Grey powder, no black. It gets dirty mostly from me opening the ash door and speeding up the initial burn time. Then I close her up after 10 minutes and never open it again until the next start up. I never get creosote, just loose powder soot in the pale. The flu is so clean you might as well say there is nothing. And it is capped, but not one of them kind that comes down low. I don't like them kind. Draft here on the hill is no issue, plus my flu is above the peek of the roof to. And it isn't an outside flu, goes up through closets (boxed in) and attic.

I can't see how you can burn wood without making ash. That's a new one. :D I bet if it's not cleaned regular it's in that stove compressed down like dry cow patties. :D

77F and 38% RH right now. Feels good to me and no dried out airways. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Wedgebanger

Just to update everyone. Ended up getting a Vermont castings encore that seems to be a good fit, thank you all for the input.

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!