iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Project 2024

Started by customsawyer, December 06, 2023, 06:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Cyberspace ate my post!

I am trying picture posting as Jeff described. Looks to work but it did in my last attempt. We will see if this sticks this time.

Great time, great people, great classes. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow if I don't get my eye drops and Gorilla glue I bought at the dollar store next to the hotel while ago mixed up. I bought the glue to fix the down key on my lap top which popped off and eye drops for old tired eyes. If I'm not there in the morning you know what happened.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Good thing you can go back for remedial training this morning Howard, ffcheesy Not to worry I am certain you will get it yet. (Remember to take notes as if it were a vacation week in Cameroon.)
 Sorry about your arrow key, you have to be very light handed with that gorilla glue, once its on there you are done.

Every body have a great day today! Geez, only 87° for a high today?  ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

One thing that occurred to me Andries is that with so many folks at the PrOject, I have a lot more time on my hands to get things done. Usually in the morning it take me over an hour to read all the posts since the previous night, and most nights I am up a little later than I would care to be reading the daytime posts and/or posting and defending my color choices or some other thing.
 Last night I was in bed before 10pm (rare) and today up before 6, read and responded to posts in short order, did my email and am ready to work at just a few minutes before 7am. So there is that. ffcheesy
 It also occurred to me (after Howard pointed it out in another thread) that they are likely talking about us more than we are talking about them. That didn't occur to me, being the utterly forgettable type that I take myself to be.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Stephen1

Looking pretty good down there. Keep the pictures coming so we know it happened! 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Nebraska

Enjoying the pictures. 

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Thank you very much Robert for posting today's short video.
I hope that you and Martha are having a great time.
Looks like a grand old PrOject, and seeing Jake operate every a piece of equipment he owns - well it's probably as much fun for him as it is for everyone watching.
I got a quick glimpse of Chief, the resident sawmill logdog, and it looked like he snagged a string of sausages from a table and was hightailing it for the woods. 
Clever boy!    running-doggy
... takes after his master.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

It was a great prOject, we had fun and made a lot of sawdust.  Lots of sawing going on.  That string of sausages Chief had was one of Docs amputated simulated arms he used at the first aid class.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Well, good for Chief. 
One man's amputated arm is another's string of sausages.
Did Doc take advantage of the situation to teach about the treatment of bites from wild animals?  :wacky:
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Wishing safe travels for all those on their way home from another great event. If you're driving and get tired, pull over. Get home safe so you can upload your photos and videos! :wink_2:

trimguy

Many thanks to Jake for hosting this and all the work that it takes to make it happen !! Thanks to everyone that chipped in and helped in so many different ways! It was good to see people that I met before and to meet new members. We had a great time .

jrsloan1

Well we made it home fine. To those still traveling be safe!!  I really enjoyed my first project and meeting so many of y'all. What a great event!!  Thanks Jake. 

Jimmy
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

customsawyer

Had a great time. Many thanks to all that pitched in and helped to make it what it was. Everything from helping with the logs to all of the help in and around the kitchen. I couldn't have done it with out all of the help. Much appreciated. Thanks to all that went to the effort to come. We had few set backs but just kept plowing forward. 
Great shorts Robert. Can't wait to see some other's videos. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

Thank you hosting, Jake.  It was good to see so many friends and to continue to learn from experts.  I know our host must be exhausted and I hope he can get a little rest this week.  I took fewer pictures than at any previous project so I'm looking forward to seeing the videos and photos of others.  
Caveman

123maxbars

Tons of footage to process today, I was able to get some fantastic shots with the 360 camera following Jake's 70, should make for an interesting video.
ETA on the video is Thursday if I can get it done by then,
Great weekend, went by way too fast as usual.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andries

It's become a tradition, by the look of it.
Martha Milton used to start the project bonfire with a drip torch.
She seems to have graduated to heavy equipment for the kindling.
Any way you look at it, she's the best fire starter I've ever seen.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Larry

Hi all, got home late last night. Plan was to make the drive in two days but I decided to do it all in one day to take advantage of lighter Sunday traffic.

My first project so wasn't for sure what to expect. What a pleasure! Lots of interesting demonstrations to learn new practices and techniques. Jake and Robert teamed up to do quartersawing, Howard showed projects made from sawmill scrap, Doc did Stop the Bleed along with a bench demo, and Jeremy showed off fishing rods. Lots of other things going on in slack moments. Made new friends and shared thoughts along with ideas. And the meals were excellent!!!  Lots of hard work went on in the kitchen and on the BBQ. Thanks to all that made that happen.

A few pictures from the quartersawing demo.

Jake didn't even break a sweat splitting the log and had it done in a few minutes. Would have taken me all morning than I would have been ready for a nap.

A quick discussion on where to put the blade. It paid off with very good figure. Lots of perfect high grade boards.

I don't have any problem getting good figure quartersawing......with perfect logs. Jake picked two tough ones that I would have butchered. One had three piths while the other had curved and straight rays along with taper. Lots of great information and technique sharing went on. I can put those skills I learned to good use. Thanks guys!

A big thanks to Jake for putting on Project 2024. I really enjoyed it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

Well Georgia and I got home safe about 1:30 this afternoon.  unloading and resting.  what a great time.  Thanks Jake and everyone.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Rhodemont

Got home couple hours ago.  First thing had to go down to my mill and load a log for tomorrow.  Thanx everyone.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

TroyC

I got home safely also. Thanks to everyone that made the PrOject a great success!

Tony Sawmill

it was a good time getting to meet so many people for the first time.  Didn't bring my GoPro this time around but snapped a few pictures!  Thanks to Jake for hosting and everyone for handling all the logistics and the good times and good food!

Resonator

Got home this afternoon safe and sound from the 2400 mile trip.  ffcool move_it
Here's a bunch of pics of the PrO-ject...

Doc's bench that he made, and then generously gave to Jake.

Cutting a slab on the Lucas mill.

Customsawyer cutting customer cookies with the cookie-mizer.

Reverse roll quarter sawing demo, using a White oak log that the Hamsley family brought.

Lumber stacked, stickered, and on the trailer.

More RRQS oak.

Jamming Friday night with Jeff and Nathan.

Doc Henderson giving his demo on bench making.

Howard (WV Sawmiller) explaining to Doc the importance of having all the legs touch the ground.

Me (Resonator) showing off the custom fishing rods my friend makes, Rexx really liked them. fishin-smiley

And Scout overseeing the weekends activities, watching close for any food that "accidently" got dropped. ffcheesy running-doggy

Thanks again to Jake for putting on the project this year, it was a blast!
And thanks to all those who helped set up, Julio the cook, and of course Jeff for starting the Forum 20+ years ago. By keeping it going through ups and downs, it brought us all together this weekend!  ffcool

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

Sorry for not posting more. This is first time I've been on line sine I left the hotel for Jake's on Saturday. Spent 2 nights at my Aunts in Lake City Fla and now at mom's in N Fla. Her 94th birthday is Friday and I'm bring her back with me for a week. We'll stop in Charlotte Saturday night and visit my daughter and grand kids Sunday then got to WV.

Jake,

I realized after I left I left my mystery wood on a stack of lumber there under your shed. It is about 12' wide and 3' long and 9/4 with a little spalting on the base. Robert determined it was butternut. We figure its worth about $450 so please just go ahead and sell it and send me the money.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy Okay, throw in the the to sell or use or firewood pile as most appropriate. Thanks again for hosting this event.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Ah HA! So you folks are alive and well, I was starting to worry when you didn't jump all over the recent post on my thread. Glad you are OK.

Jake, forget what Howard says, take his 'highly valuable butternut' and throw it behind the seat in your truck and bring it to the Pig Roast and I will give you 5 bucks for it (cold hard American Cash) and you can give Howard his cut. :wink_2: (No really, I have never had a piece of Butternut in my hands, let alone in my shop and it's the least Howard can do considering his relentless color issues.)

Thank You Sponsors!