iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Consulting Forester...Central Minnesota?

Started by jander3, May 30, 2010, 01:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

I am looking for consulting forester in my area.  I've talked with the DNR guys and they are very backed up, it would likely be years before they could give me a hand.  Any ideas on how to locate a reliable consulting forester in my area?

My general need is listed below:

I am finishing up a hand-scribed log cabin on our property and by mid summer I should be starting on the outbuildings.  I would like to get some advice and an overall plan before I cut the trees for for the outbuildings.  In general, I am interested in maintaining the property secluded and remote while improving the current state.   Over time,  I would like to improve the value of my timber.

I do not have any current plans to log the area.   I will be cutting trees a few at a time using them for hand-scribed outbuildings and cutting lumber with a small manual band-mill.  Trees will be cut and removed with an ATV and log arch.

Specifically, I am interested in the following:
1. Producing a management plan.
2. Marking trees that should be cut with the above thought process in mind.
3. Suggestions on any planting that should be done.
4. Some personal education and walk down of my property so that I can
get more familiar with specific this topic (as I am not familiar with
land management).
5. Any suggestions or advice as to establishing long term trails on
the property.

Gary_C

Who did you talk to in the Sandstone DNR office?

I know they have been busy during spring fire season and they have a big sale in June. But maybe one of them could come out after the sale. I know most of the guys and if they can't get out there later this summer perhaps they could recommend someone in the area.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jander3

Thank You Sponsors!