iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by woodbe, September 15, 2011, 06:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

Over the last couple of days I was able to saw up a Black Walnut that I was given about a year  or so ago. It had sat so long that the bark came off nicely. There were three 8' logs that were any from 18"- 24" on the small end. They have nice color and grain. On one half of the butt log I hit about 7 or 8 nails that must have been a fence or gate but I can't complain  the log was free.

Woodbe

In the end I got a good pile of wood. Now I just need to get it all up in the barn to dry.

T Welsh

Nice little pallet of walnut, any projects in mind? (tip) run your stickers right to the ends of your pack! it will reduce splitting in end grain while drying. Tim

terrifictimbersllc

Yep it's walnut all right looks good.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Walnut is my favorite all around wood.  Looks like you got some nice wide boards.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

The walnut looks good but I like the skytrak for handling logs better.   ;)  I could sure put a unit like that to good use.  ;D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

cypresskayaksllc

Quote from: Coon on September 15, 2011, 10:41:02 PM
The walnut looks good but I like the skytrak for handling logs better.   ;)  I could sure put a unit like that to good use.  ;D 

same here
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

woodbe

The Skytrack is on a long term loan from a good friend. He has 3 of them and this one is a little under powered for them so it just sits around at the shop. So he said it might as well sit around my mill were it can be used and let me tell you I am glad it is here. It is good to have good friends. As for the stickers I will use my better maple stickers do a better job of placing them. I just roughly sticker the stack till I can get them up in to the barn. All of my lumber is stored up in the hay mount so each board has to go up though the hay door at the end of the barn. Once again thank God for Skytraks.  Someday I will get a loft finished at the front of the mashie shed so all of the lumber could just be stickered on a skid and lifted up on the loft for storage.

As for a project I think that I can see a dresser for my daughter in that stack of lumber. I have a few nice wide boards from  another tree that are about 20" wide and about 5' long. I think they will make good sides and top. I will just have to see how it all dries out.

Woodbe

Brad_bb

That is some nice "Highly Valuable Black Walnut".  I've never had any myself yet.  Hopefully once I get a mill, I'll come across some "Highly Valuable Black Walnut".
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

paul case

what kinda mill is that? i like the big throat. a friend of mine ordered one of those form the mfger in the northwest but icant remember the name of the builder.

nice looking lumber. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 16, 2011, 05:08:30 PM
That is some nice "Highly Valuable Black Walnut". 

I liked it when the guy asked the lady, "Are you retarded?"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Yeah, you got me.  I can't think of Walnut now without thinking "Highly Valuable Black Walnut" from that video.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

woodbe

The mill is a Burg and it is made in Gold Beach Oregon. I think that it is one of the bigger ones that they make. It has been good to me so fare. I think it can make a 40" wide cut. I have cut an oak that was 38" after I squared it up with a chainsaw. 

As for valuable I tell people it is only worth something if you can get someone to want the wood from you. I have not tried to sell any to the public. I need to give it a try.

Woodbe

paul case

yup,

thats what his mill was. i thought it would work well and was not as expensive to buy. he didnt have it very long and bought a wmlt40 with a baker resaw and some other equipment from a fella and got a contract with the wm mill so he sold the burg. i sawed him out some 6x6's to set it on. the new owner called me to cut him some 6x6's to set it on. i did. he never set it up. sold it. they never used a total of 2 bands between the 2 owners. i sold 2 sets of 6x6 cants because of that mill. i guess you could say it was good for me.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

woodbe

They are not fancy but it will do the job. My mill has concrete pillars in the ground about 8" with j bolts in them and 4X10 on top and an 8" I-beam on that. I think the beam has saved me a time or two when loading with the skytrak. There as not been any major damage but I have had a mishap or two. I have sawn up a lot of lumber while I have had it.

Woodbe

shelbycharger400

reading up on the burg mill
what ties the 2, 10 ft pieces of angle iron together? a picture would be good enough for me

Magicman

It looks like you maximized your yield by live edge sawing all of it.  Very nice stack of Walnut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodbe

Shelbycharger the track has a tab that is welded to one section of track and then bolted to the next. That is the reason for the I-beam that is bolted to the track.

As for the live edge on the walnut? I was in a hurry and have had a request for some with live edge. I will be cutting some white oak soon and it will be squared up and some will be quartered.

Woodbe

kderby

Oregon White Oak?  I hope you will post pictures of that as well. 

Thanks Woodbe, Enjoy the walnut!

shelbycharger400

thanks woodbe, im always tinkerin with somethin.
I was puzzeled as to how the burg from the vendor seemed a bit light just being angle iron.  Seemed ya took care of that problem.

Thank You Sponsors!