iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning strike honey locust

Started by low_48, May 14, 2018, 09:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

My friend Julie Dodge sent these pictures to me, taken about 1 1/2 miles from my home in the city of Peoria, IL. Happened early Saturday morning. I went over to look at it tonight, but was pretty well cleaned up. I picked up some 6' long splinters. You could see some roots that had come partially out of the ground. One heck of a hit! Tree was maybe about 18" diameter. 

Woodcutter_Mo

I bet that made a heck of a bang when it struck! 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

btulloh

I've seen quite a few lightning struck trees but that one takes the cake. 
HM126

thecfarm

WOW!!
I had a strike here. Well more than one. But this one caught the slash on fire,than the shower came and put it out. Fire was no wider than 6 feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

That is impressive. I had a strike hit a live poplar tree on the farm a couple years back, broke off the top, which was about bone dry when it hit the ground, talk about a fast way to dry lumber. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

florida

We were coming out of the woods one day and saw lightening hit a pine tree across the road. The whole tree went up in flames. I've never seen one blown up that bad though!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Woodcutter_Mo

I've seen lightning blow large chunks out of a tree but never that bad. We had a cedar tree get hit and it blew every strip of bark and almost all of the leaves off one time. It really stood out even from a distance when we went down in the woods to see what got hit, being bright colored without any bark. There was strips of bark 30-40' away. It was in the middle of a thick cluster of cedars and none of the others (even much taller) had damage. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Thank You Sponsors!