iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally building my little mill

Started by biggkidd, December 31, 2021, 08:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediwood

howdy boys. i would definetly use the tube, much stronger. I'm using 3x6 1/4 wall, Im pretty hard on equipment! lol my build is going to take a lot longer, everything I ordered  is out of stock like everything now a days. Guess its plow snow and clean the shop tell some stuff comes. Maybe buy an old handsaw and start sawing! what size roller chain did you use on your log turner? 

biggkidd

We haven't even started building yet. My SIL was here to help all week and the weather crapped on us. They just left headed home, they are going to try and come back next week but the weather doesn't look much if any better then. We did get a bunch of other stuff done and more parts for the mill have come in. Other than odds and ends I believe I have just about everything to make it go. Now we just need the weather and Nate's schedule to coincide so we can get it done.

After extensive reading here I am now back considering the diesel engine on account of the higher torque. Both the gas and diesel engines I have in hand are rated right around 22 hp. I wonder how much difference there is in the torque? I also wonder which will be more friendly on fuel use?
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

Jediwood

Hey biggkidd, just wanted to let you know I found a 35 to 40 Isuzu Diesel engine from a termoking refer trailer. Lots of hours but they pretty much just sit and idol all their lives. I only paid 750 so even a rebuild after a while I won't be into it for a ton of cash. It has an electric throttle control and even a little radiator with electric fan. Even an empty belt pulley of the crank for a hydro pump. I think it should work pretty cool. I'm taking the coupling off the back today to see what I have to do to put a clutch on or mount a pulley for the drive pulley. Good day to stay in shop, -20 to -25 today with windchill, welcome to Wisconsin! 

JoshNZ

I think diesel is going to suit a sawmill better in every way, other than the extra noise, vibration, and smoke.

I use a trailered fuel bowser where I do some work occasionally, that thing is a little single banger diesel and it sounds like a jackhammer, enough to scare anyone off the idea but the multi cylinder Yanmar/Kubotas are pretty sweet

biggkidd

Quote from: Jediwood on January 09, 2022, 12:16:27 PM
Hey biggkidd, just wanted to let you know I found a 35 to 40 Isuzu Diesel engine from a termoking refer trailer. Lots of hours but they pretty much just sit and idol all their lives. I only paid 750 so even a rebuild after a while I won't be into it for a ton of cash. It has an electric throttle control and even a little radiator with electric fan. Even an empty belt pulley of the crank for a hydro pump. I think it should work pretty cool. I'm taking the coupling off the back today to see what I have to do to put a clutch on or mount a pulley for the drive pulley. Good day to stay in shop, -20 to -25 today with windchill, welcome to Wisconsin!
That's great news! I'm thinking harder and harder on using the yanmar even though I purpose bought the gas engine for this project. Guess I'll figure it out when I get to that point. lol
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4

Jediwood

Got another big question, where is everyone getting their blades? I want to get a couple of different blades to start just for set up. I'm going to cut mostly hardwood, oak, maple and ash and then I got a bunch of pine. I got a woodmizer dealer that we do work for not to far down the road. I'm just wonder what to start with. Above zero today so good day

KenMac

I would think that your local Woodmizerdealer would be your best bet for blades, especially if they have a resharp service there. Several companies offer blades but shipping is a substantial part of blade expense. Good luck with your endeavor.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

biggkidd

Quote from: Jediwood on January 11, 2022, 10:07:19 PM
Got another big question, where is everyone getting their blades? I want to get a couple of different blades to start just for set up. I'm going to cut mostly hardwood, oak, maple and ash and then I got a bunch of pine. I got a woodmizer dealer that we do work for not to far down the road. I'm just wonder what to start with. Above zero today so good day
A couple years ago I ordered boxes of mixed blades from Woodmizer kind of like a sample pack but I got two. I also have a box of blades from Norwood.

biggkidd

Grr weather and life keep getting in the way!

But it has given me a chance to try and find out what this Diesel engine Nate brought out is. Looks like it's a TK380F A yanmar made for Thermo King. A 3 cyl water cooled diesel. Looks like it has 23.9 hp @3000 rpm and 45 ft lbs of torque @1800 rpm. The predator engine I bought is an air cooled twin cyl gas and has 22 hp @ 4000 rpm and 33 ft lbs of torque @ 2500 rpm 

The gas engine is new and the diesel is used and unknown. 

I already have everything to hook up the gas engine I don't have any of the accessories or connectors for the diesel? IE: Radiator, alternator, cooling fan, pulleys

Opinions? 

Jediwood

Morning boys. I've been doing a lot of research on these motors and on sawmills, like they all say, torque is king. A lot of guys are putting them in generators and little pickups. Mine is the D201 by Isuzu but I've seen yours (yanmar) mentioned a lot. They put that thing in a lot of skid steers and mini ex. We have 2 minis with these thins in.  Yours I think is newer. I've stated cleaning mine up looking for some parts I need. The biggest thing I'm having trouble with is the flywheel and trying to find an adapter to put a clutch or pulley on. I'm going for the clutch so I don't have to be dealing with belt tensioners. I've found some little radiators on market place for compact tractors, pretty cheap. The one I got is a glorified  tranny cooler with little electric fan. I found some pretty cool web sites with some good info on these things. I've been reading a lot to since I can't get any parts. The only parts I got so far are a hand full of bearings, not the ones I need to start with. Surplus center has been cool, spot on. 

The one thing I did was put my motor up on some saw horses, hooked up some diesel and battery charger and got it fired up. It runs but needs exhaust manifold. I think it should bad ass making sawdust. 
I'm hoping I get some parts this week to get started, at least my shop is clean now! 

I'll find them sites and get them up for you. 0 this morning, got to love Wisconsin!

Jediwood

Biggkidd here's a couple forums I found. These guys are messing with little diesels and have some good info

Diesel dash 
4btswaps
Nissandiesel 
Dieselbombers 
Smokestak 

I've read more stuff in the last 4 months than I did in my entire high school career! If I find some more I'll throw them up

Jediwood

biggkidd

Thanks @Jediwood Yeah I've done a crazy amount of research myself. Now if only we can get building every time my SIL comes up to help something else occurs and plans shift today it's snow sleet freezing rain... Yesterday we went and got him an old pickup to use around the place.

biggkidd

The weather and everyone's timing around here has had us in a holding pattern for getting this project going again. The weather has been wet and wintery lol and my SIL has yet to be here to help me on any of the very few decent days we've had. Been here ready to go on several rainy / snowy / icy days when my health won't let me out to work

But I've been reading here and learning a lot here and on youtube. So now I have more questions for you guys who've been doing this awhile. 

How much HP is actually used for cutting versus all the hydraulics and such the larger mills have? 

Does anyone beside Steve Cross use more than one engine on their mill? I have a lot of low hp gas engines I could use for an Auxiliary engine to pull power from for moving logs etc..    

Thanks for any info!

Ljohnsaw

You *could* have a hydraulic pump on your main mill engine but then you would have to have an energy chain to carry the hoses to the bed with a bank of valves.  WM (and maybe others?) use electric over hydraulic and use a power rail to get battery power from the head to the pumps (if I got that right).  Running an electric pump would be more convenient and quieter, but if you have some spare engines (and pumps?) laying around, go for it!  But, there are a lot of builds that use an electric winch to power log turners, backstops and clamps.  Could probably rig up a log loader as well but that would be a tricky one.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

biggkidd

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 26, 2022, 07:23:10 PM
You *could* have a hydraulic pump on your main mill engine but then you would have to have an energy chain to carry the hoses to the bed with a bank of valves.  WM (and maybe others?) use electric over hydraulic and use a power rail to get battery power from the head to the pumps (if I got that right).  Running an electric pump would be more convenient and quieter, but if you have some spare engines (and pumps?) laying around, go for it!  But, there are a lot of builds that use an electric winch to power log turners, backstops and clamps.  Could probably rig up a log loader as well but that would be a tricky one.
Thanks that's sort of what I was thinking. In all honesty I'd rather stay away from Hyd. it is one of the two areas I am fairly weak in. I was leaning more towards a "pony" engine driving an alternator and a second battery. That way I can use electric motors or winches for several things. Also trying to stay as much as possible with things I already have in hand. Some people claim I have a micro junk yard. ROTFLMAO 

Jediwood

Morning boys. Exciting day, got a message from fedex, parts delivery today. Hopefully I get some band wheels and idle axle so I can get going. I got a bunch of other parts but I want to start with the head and go from there. Biggkidd how's your going, get started yet? The weather hasn't been to friendly up here lately. Anyone on here mess around with building an accuset or something like it? I'm going all hydraulic and want to get my valves ordered but thought I'd do some homework on how to set up some electronics and get a 12volt valve coming. It looks like it might be a cool thing to build, plus they are pretty nice to saw with. Time to go to work in the shop, polka Sunday!

Jediwood

Morning boys. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  Health issues in the family so no building for the last 2 months. Just got back in the shop yesterday and put the bearings on the shaft to build the drive wheel side. Biggkidd  just wondering how the build is going? Also wondering if anyone has used a hydraulic or electric clutch on a 50hp diesel? I've been searching and can't find anything that fits my shaft and has a 3 belt pulley. Hoping to use a clutch instead of a idler pulley. Have a good one guys

Thank You Sponsors!