iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shake

Started by Magicman, July 09, 2010, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'm sawing beetle killed SYP, but these trees were stressed by Hurricane Katrina.  I suspect that the internal stresses caused by Katrina will be with us for many years to come.  We'll blame it on beetles.

Shake rings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

We find shake in Sycamores and cotton woods here in Ohio and some times after one H of a thunderstorm with straight line winds your find it in red oak and pin oak. White and Bur seems to hold togather a little better. But a tornado can do a number on all of them . I cut a white ash last fall that had a shake ring all the way around it and it was a inch thick so I left them dry out and knocked the centers out and made rustic waste paper cans.  :D
Bill

woodmills1

shake always shows at one inch under the width you want  to cut

it is worse up here than rot, at least ya knows rot will be bad.

I have tried to cut shake trees..........red oak and hemlock..........it always shakes out one inch below my maketable width.

I DanG hate the shake
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!