iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tallest tree in the world

Started by mike_van, September 30, 2006, 07:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

you guys need pandas to control the bamboo!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

farmerdoug

SD,  I think what you are refering to in northern bamboo.  We have it around the house also.  It was planted before we moved here.  It stays around the house because of the mower.  I discovered that 2-4-D will knock it down but it seems to come back just as strong in a couple of years. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

What has always amazed me about the tallest tree thing, is why isn't the tallest trees in the tropics where there are green house like conditions and no severe cold.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Genes. Redwoods have great genes. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Kcwoodbutcher

I believe most of the trees in the tropics are shallow rooted, basically because they don't need a deep root system to get water. This would hinder very tall growth as they may easily fall in a strong wind. I received the book "High Climbers and Timber Fallers" from Bailey's as a Christmas present. It's probably as close as I'll ever get to the real thing, but the size of those redwoods and what those guys do to get them down is incredible
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Ianab

QuoteWhat has always amazed me about the tallest tree thing, is why isn't the tallest trees in the tropics where there are green house like conditions and no severe cold.

In the tropics EVERYTHING grows fast, incuding the termites and the fungus, so trees just dont live very long. The mild climates like Pacific NW, NZ, South Australia seems to let those big trees grow for hundreds of years and get some decent size on them. No extremes of hot, cold or dry to stress the trees etc.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Concerning the reply about "Water Column", Where is the water pump located on these tall trees ???  It is a known fact that you can not use a pump to "Pull" water over 23' , elevation, from it's source.  It takes a decent sized pump to "push" water over 150'. HOW does this water move ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

Sure, if you're pulling through a tube your 23' might be the limitation.  However, on plants, you are moving from cell to cell.  Process of osmosis going from that of a greater concentration to that of a lesser concentration.  Those cells aren't 23' long, so the height you're lifting is more like lifting with a series of buckets instead of through a tube. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kcwoodbutcher

I may me wrong but I think it's like 32 ft. At that height the vacuum at the head of the tube would boil the water. In the real world this limitation is always lower. This is why primitive plants such as ferns and horsetails cannot attain heights greater than this. The water in these plants is fed up the stem simply by capillary action. While osmosis plays an important role in the transport of water in large trees, active transport (think chemical reaction) allows these trees to transport the water and nutrients to the great heights of the large trees.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Ironwood

Been to Humbolt, the trees get moisture from the coastal fog that lingers high in there canopies. A MUST SEE is the flood footage of the 1964 flood that is in Sciotia the old PALCO lumber town. DON"T miss this if you are in the Eureka/ Humbolt area. Some of the camping areas allow you to camp right among the giants. We had a hollow trunk that the kids climbed into to play. The trunk was 10 feet or so high, and a perimeter "fence like" raised portion to keep to kiddies from falling out. It was really neat.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) ::)  I really do understand how the water moves in the plants.  ::) ::)

Just making a point as how much and how fast, as evidenced in Sap runs, like Maples and other tappable trees.  ;D ;D ;D  Dat's a LOTTA water.  :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 02, 2007, 06:21:36 PM
What has always amazed me about the tallest tree thing, is why isn't the tallest trees in the tropics where there are green house like conditions and no severe cold.

Intriguing question.  I remember a wood tech professor asking the question, "Why are there no hardwoods at the timberline in high elevations?".  It seems that the tracheids that make up the conifer wood and transport the water are closed at both ends with little valves called "bordered pits" between the cells.  That way, if an embolism in one cell occurs (from freezing, etc), the bordered pits close off and isolate the cell with the embolism and protect the water column from breaking.  The vascular elements in hardwoods that make up the water conducting cells have open ends, like sections of sewer pipe.  If an embolism occurs in one cell, that cell cannot be isolated, and the entire water column breaks. 

I suspect that is why most of the tallest trees are conifers and not hardwood.  Think of the tension on the water column as a tree grows ever higher and higher.  The probablility of the water column breaking, thereby limiting growth, would be greater in hardwood than conifer because of the type of cells that make up the water transporting xylem.

Probably wrong, but Swamp's question begs an answer.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

FD, the water column going up is a lot bigger than that coming down as sap. Excess water is transpired through leaves and what ever is needed to transport food is sent down the pipes, just under the bark, toward the roots.

WDH, sounds like a good answer to me. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!