iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Couple sweet gum videos

Started by CCC4, October 02, 2013, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Quote from: grweldon on October 04, 2013, 08:12:38 AM
CCC4,

Like I said, I'm really new to all this.   I guess I was assuming quite a bit since I had no clue about your background or experience. Obviously you are extremely experienced and I could learn a lot from you.  You just mentioned "heart pull" and being an engineer, I analyzed the mechanics and concluded that the method you use could result in the heart pull that you mentioned. I really didn't have a clue that all the factors had been taken into consideration.

Would you please take to time to explain a few things that I don't understand?

I've heard the term "Stump Jumping" but I suppose I don't actually know what it means.

I'm also not clear at all about why a load of Cedar would be turned away because of the way it was cut.

Thanks brother... didn't mean to offend...

Sir , there is no offense taken in any way. Ok, i'm just here for a short bit so I will try and explain what I'm doing. Basically with the narrow face and the "over kerf" I try and get back into the heart wood and stop somewhere around 60%..now this is where reading  your tree comes in, you have to know how far you can go in before pinching your bar, plus you have to know that your tree isn't leaned or it will come on over and chair backwards...and that's not good.

By using this method I do two things, I can get through my back cut as the tree starts going over...instead of leaving a 40% / 60% and trying to burn through the back 60%. (does that make sense) Secondly the majority of the heart wood is already compromised by my face...add the two together and you can eliminate any fiber and reduce you possibility of barber chair.

This method is considered pretty dangerous and people don't really like to talk about it a whole lot, I would assume it has to do with reading the tree...you could get one over on ya pretty easy if the tree was misread. It's kind of funny, I have been scolded pretty bad from PNW and NE guys for jumping timber...however some of the videos I have run across from some top cutters in the PNW area use the same method.

Basically to sum it up, I try and ONLY leave a hinge in certain conditions for certain reasons. I am uploading a real nice pine video from this morning, it shows open faces and Humbolt's and one pretty bad back leaner that I wedged over to keep my lay. It will be up later this evening.

thecfarm is spot on with why the cedar gets turned away with conventional faces...one side of the log can be 8'4 but the face side may be 8' flat, and that is not good for buyers who HAVE to get (2) full pieces out of the cant.

I didn't mean to be gloating about my experience, I just felt like telling what all I have done for the last half of my life...and that I have zero plans on ever sawing anything again  ;D

But really Sir, I take zero offense to your post. I don't consider myself a "Pro" by any means, but slayer is right, "stump jumping" can be dangerous and nobody wants to hear of someone getting hurt by trying to emmulate what he or she see's on a video.

Oh and on the pine video I have being uploaded, the back leaners...you will see me make cuts in the right corner...it didn't work but I will tell you why I did it after you see the video...ifn you want to know.

treeslayer2003

I coulda forgot that stump jumpin is a bad word in some circles. it's not to me, just it is another method of cutting down a tree.

CCC4

Hey slayer!  ;D I gotta go finish my track, I will hollar at ya tonight man. Hope ya had a good safe day man! Slayer you're gonna like the pine vid! GOOD pine and I got the 660 lined out! Whoot! Later

CCC4

Pine video from this morning. Nothing special. 660 used in this video. Thanks for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGHlN3b6yU&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

beenthere

Enjoyed going along with you and watching your pines fall.
So much, that I even thought I could smell the pine sawdust. smiley_thumbsup

Thanks for posting.

That video cam is pretty impressive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

By the way,how is the wood coming out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ryguy777

holy that's a fast saw compared to anything ive used

John Vander

For avoiding splits on cedars and pines,  wing-cuts combined with a fish cut works well. In some cases plunge cuts work with wedges too. Yeah, wood turned away at the mill is not nice!
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

John Vander

I sometimes cut away some of the bark on thick barked trees as to prepare the hinge more accurately. Including bark in the hinge means less sound wood across the face of the scarf.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Thank You Sponsors!