iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Season

Started by Autocar, April 20, 2013, 08:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Comes in Monday morning and right now don't have any intention on going, the way the weather has been Iam going to hold out till the second week. It will be the first time Ive ever miss a opening morning must be old age I don't get excited about it like I use to  ::).
Bill

Chuck White

Turkey season here is the month of May!

My son is taking his 2 youngest boys out turkey hunting tomorrow (21st) for the special "youth hunts" which is open before the regular season!

They may get lucky, turkeys smarten up quick!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Turkeys are mighty smart critters. If they are in the field and I go to the door,they will run off. Same way in the back of the house. I can go out and watch the deer,but those turkeys are long gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

I got my first (and only) turkey two years ago.  A nice big 21lb tom.  Didn't have a chance to go last year.  And this year I think I've decided I don't want to bother largely due to the fact of how much the state wants to charge me for it.  (weird reason I know)  Hunting/fishing license $42, spring/fall turkey tag $20 (allows one male in spring and one male or female in fall), additional spring male $20, PLUS (this is where they lose me) $5 for each bird tagged.

I will buy the hunting/fishing license anyway so that doesn't bother me but...potentially $55 for 3 turkeys?! :o ???  I'm pretty sure I could raise a half dozen in my backyard for not much more than that.  I enjoy hunting (alot) but when I need to do a cost/benefit analyst it loses it's luster. :(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Chuck White

I feel the same as you John!

That wild turkey is mighty expensive for what you get out of it!

This time of year lots of grocery stores run specials on turkey's!

Better eating too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

The season has been in for almost a month here.  Saw 5 gobblers today bugging in one of my pine plantations. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

Well in some aspects the big birds are smart but in most cases they do have a bird brain .Come flirting season I've seen the Toms' get right in the middle of a road intersection  and fan out and strut that strut trying to romance the passing automobiles or something .Well they are turkeys you can't expect them to be Einsteins .

red oaks lumber

if you do a cost analysis on the  things we hunt, going to store is always the cheaper route by far. i don't hunt for the meat, thats a bonus for me its the time spent in the woods with nature and or with family and friends.
turkey season is going on here, the last 2 weeks we have gotten over 15" of snow, not exactly ideal hunting conditions for those have to hunt that season
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Regardless the game, it's about the hunt, the friends and family, the early mornings, coffee, breakfast, the sounds nature waking up, the smells and the sounds, and last but not least the exercise we get from the stalks which hopefully is satisfied by the feed at the end of the day.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Our Spring Gobbler came in last Saturday and runs through May 18th. Doesn't cost me anything.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Well, the boy's turkey hunt didn't last long!

They got cold and called it quits!

Regular Spring turkey season here is the month of May!

Autocar

I couldn't take it and got up and went,it was cold and the turkeys were not on the property I was aloud to hunt so I just sat there and enjoyed the coming of daylight, turned into a dandy day.
Bill

Al_Smith

I'm not even certain if we have a turkey season in the county I live in .That suits me just fine because I really think the turkeys which were transplanted need to get back to their natural wild ways before they have a season on them .

WDH

Saw 5 gobblers and a hen today.  Turkeys everywhere.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Al every county in Ohio is open to hunting,WDH I sure would enjoy living in your neighbor hood I get the biggest kick out of watching turkeys  :D
Bill

WDH

Sorry, only saw 5 gobblers, not 54  :)  Too many thumbs when typing.

colincb183

I've seen more turkeys than I can count in the past month or so, you cant drive literally more than a half mile without seeing at least 2 its unreal.  I went out a few weeks ago to call a little bit and had one longbeard going and saw probably 30 or 40 hens and what were this years poults so I was pretty excited to get out and take one down.  Then I finally get out and didn't even get a gobble. Oh well I was just glad to be in the woods and my brother got one so I was happy for him  :)

Autocar

Here they seem like there henned up and it's suppose to turn cold again tomarrow that won't help any.
Bill

millwright

We have had nearly 32" of snow in the last couple of weeks, but most of the guy's are getting their birds.

clww

My mom told me she saw a flock of at least 20 Monday. All out in a field, probably chasing insects.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

These turkeys seem to be of several breeds .Most are the traditional black type but a few I noticed are a brownish color with a certain amount of white mixed in .

Now I've never seen any on my property but just down the road I've seen them several times .Walking around in peoples yards just like they owned the place with not a care in the world .This is a wonderfull habitate for turkeys with all  the oak trees .I'd well imagine though that given a chance they would be content with the farmers wheat ,soy beans and corn also .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on April 23, 2013, 08:26:37 PM
My mom told me she saw a flock of at least 20 Monday. All out in a field, probably chasing insects.

Hey Chief, I just got curious and looked up to see if FLOCK of Turkeys is correct. Well it is. But I did not know they are also called a RAFTER of Turkeys. I never knew it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

I've hunted them since 1980 and I'd never heard that term for a group of them either. :)
My favorite is for owls. These are referred to as a "Parliament".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

A gaggle of geese ,a murder of crows .

A flotilla of ducks if they are just floating  on the water ,a paddling of ducks if they are swimming around .If they are walking around although I've never heard a term perhaps a waddling of ducks .

Al_Smith

Quote from: POSTONLT40HDquote]
Hey Chief, I got got curious and looked up to see if FLOCK of Turkeys is correct. Well it is. But I did not know they are also called a RAFTER of Turkeys. I never knew it.  :)

Evidently for a group of chickens also because when the hen house caught fire the rooster said let's get the flock outta here .--or so it's been said . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!