iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old growth Longleaf And Lobolly contrasting growth rings

Started by Woodwalker, February 19, 2011, 09:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

I started squaring up and trimming to length some of the Longleaf beams I got my hands on. Found these different rates of growth and thought it was kind of neat. The rings on the left are right at ¾".
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Jeff

Good example of the stability of the slower growing wood as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

The one on the left ain't Longleaf.  Looks like Loblolly to me.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Texas Ranger

Curious, since there is no cell structure visible, how you see loblolly?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

I see loblolly because the growth rings are so large and not reminiscent of any longleaf I've ever seen.  There is a chance that it could be a slash, grown on excellent ground, but even slash would have tighter rings than that.   I'll buy that it is SYP, but it'll take a report from a valid laboratory before I'll believe it is Longleaf.  :)

Woodwalker

Slash pine wasn't introduced in this part of the world till sometime in the 1930's.  The warehouse this came out of  was built in 1902. It could have been shipped in here from the east, but with the amount of local timber available that is unlikely.  Both Longleaf and Loblolly were here in abundance.
So far, this is the only beam I've found with growth rings like this.

Magicman

I would have to agree that the one on the left is Loblolly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Loblolly, by golly.  It must have grown on a dead fish.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Could be, but, gonna go over and pilfer some wood from Woodwalker, will bring back a sample and run it through the book.

Working for Champion some years back and took cores from a bunch of trees, on longleaf I had ring counts from 4 to 40, one tree 12"dbh was over 200 years old.

I have this idea for a changing table for a daughter that likes things old and Texan, so going to copy an old pine changing table for her.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodwalker

Thank You Sponsors!