iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Monster Walnut Log price?

Started by Stephen1, June 15, 2019, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

My buddy, an arborist has taken down a monster Black Walnut from a back yard. As near as I can figure, almost 2700 bd ft. The but log is 10'2" long, small end at 44" large end 62" He has more logs on top of that of course. next log is 10' and 44"-38"

What woud it be worth to sell by the BD FT ?
Are there buyers around  for the root ball?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Autocar

It would be hard to sell a town log around here because the chance of insulators or metal of some sort. But probably worth some bucks for a live edge table top if someone with a band mill would take a chance on it.
Bill

shelby78

Quote from: Stephen1 on June 15, 2019, 10:53:36 AM
My buddy, an arborist has taken down a monster Black Walnut from a back yard. As near as I can figure, almost 2700 bd ft. The but log is 10'2" long, small end at 44" large end 62" He has more logs on top of that of course. next log is 10' and 44"-38"

What woud it be worth to sell by the BD FT ?
Are there buyers around  for the root ball?
Your buddy already has it listed for sale so it can be a you tell us what he can get..

tule peak timber

He should be able to get 1$per pound.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Stephen1

I like pricing by the pound! He also pulled out the root ball which would price best by the pound. 
He was offered $3.50 a bd ft for all the logs up to 16" small end. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tule peak timber

Where I'm at everything is by the pound.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

YellowHammer

It depends both on the size and the quality.  $5 per bdft for exceptionally clear, 4 clear face, $2.80 for 3 CF and down to $1.50 for lower grades.  Nails will reduce value.  

Most yard walnut trees are not high grade.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

He ended up getting $3.50C for the logs. He was happy.

scsmith42

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 15, 2019, 08:01:31 PM
He should be able to get 1$per pound.
Wow - that works out to be around $10.00 per board foot in the log!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

That was in Canadian, so 35% less than a US $

mike_belben

I saw a wide load flatbed with a rootball going down the road last week.  The roots had been cut back to where they were 3ft thick tubes and they still hung ober the rub rail.  Id say they cut it at 8ft up and it may have just barely been above the flare.  Definitely a crane loadup and almost big enough to install a car tunnel.
Praise The Lord

esarratt

The Hardwood Market Report contains the current prices for green and dried Black Walnut.  That is a good place to start.

You can find HRM at libraries for free.

Use WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog to locate a copy of the library nearest you that has the magazine.

Thank You Sponsors!