iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What up Benches?

Started by doc henderson, February 06, 2019, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

A story with no pictures.  Back in the day there was a group of gentlemen, and a couple of ladies, that would circle around a gas station/store owned by one of us.  The gentlemen were mostly hefty.  The owner wanted a bench built for the front of the station..... so, I built an 8 foot backed bench out of 2x12's, the back being a single 2x12.  The build was heavy to keep the bench from walking off.

Anyway, the group became known as the Buddha Belly Bunch, and the bench as the Buddha Belly Bench.  I carved the first names of the Bunch on the front of the back board, the ladies of the group had some concerns about adding their name to the Buddha Belly Bench, so their names were added to the back of the Bench.  The back was not visible, so they were happy, until they noticed their names in full view thru the glass from inside the store.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

i think it will mean a lot to the out going scoutmaster.  he teared up a bit on his last night as he stated he is most proud of his "dad of an eagle scout" pin.  i spoke at his sons ceremony.  He is very busy with a business (Amish restaurant) and he and his son are pilots.  here is the color with a second coat of spar urethane.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

metalspinner

I had to give up personal woodworking projects when I took over as Scoutmaster. The role just took all of my time and energy. In fact, that's the biggest reason I stepped away from the FF for so long. 
Hopefully, doc, you have better time management than me. 

I will say the seven years I spent scoutmaster (18 years total in scouting) was the best thing I had ever done. 

It sounds like you have a great troop. Good luck and congratulations!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

doc henderson

OK so sawdust Jimmy wanted to make a bench for a 80+ y/o friend of his now passed MIL.  Carolyn is small and likes to take her cats for a walk every day.  She found some crazy slab Esty Pinterest deal and asked if Jimmy could make it.  I am like, "why make silly slab legs".  we had an elm log that was cracked but pretty solid.

so two seats and some leg/rolling pin material

i made square leg stock, and cut a seat to 42"  standard combined old lady and cat butt size.  

i used the tenon cutters and took the 2.5 inch legs down and with all the moisture, some of the shavings were continuous, like 30 feet long.

"Goot un smooth once"  as they say in the Vulga German community of Fort Hays, Ks. smiley_beertoast

My dog Libby trying to stop me from this crazy idea i had to trim the legs on the sawmill.  but it was no use!  

leg angle the same.  I am depending on the elm in the background to stop the bench from hitting the building in the background if it flies off the mill, as this has never been tried before!!!  at my house.  

a cushion in front and back as to not damage the rustic glam bench.  I checked to make sure it was tight.  and it was.

the legs are big but sturdy, and this has my "pediatric leg angle" of 13° compound for stability.  16 inch tall bench is standard everywhere but West Virginia.  (the last of that is pronounced Virgin long I and long A).  

OK Howard I did it.  I did not do through tenons but I could if I wanted to.  I will use this again especially for benches over 3  feet and big and heavy.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Sawdust Jimmy is looking happy with your work . . . teamwork !
Lovin' the elm grain in the leg tenons. Did you use Epoxy to set them?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

tight bond 3.  I drive them in with a 3# dead blow hammer.  I use the next size smaller tenon cutter to put a chamfer on the end of the tenon so I do not have to fight it.  I use a strait edge on each end to be sure the flat sides of the legs are in plane with each other and the end of the bench.  i have a large pipe wrench of 2 foot adjustable wrench ready, as after they are driven in, you need some torque.  I try to get them close as I drive them in.  you can apply force to turn them as you drive them in, but not after they are seated (no pun origionally intended) home.   :)

Andries

Sounds a bit like orthopœdic work. 😉 
The little old gal and her kittie will never realize the know-how and equipment it takes to make that.
Well done you two!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

he put some oil on it and will send a pic in am.  It Pops

doc henderson

room for a half dozen kitties.  not bad for 80 y/o.

Old Greenhorn

A lovely lady on a lovely bench. If she gets bored she can grab that cultivator by the tree and get a little work done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I guess she does stuff like that.  Jimmy helped her buy a new lawn mower cause the old one was leaking and not wanting to start, and she still mows her own yard.  she does gardening and Jimmy cringes when she climbs up a little retaining wall. :o :o :o

TW

Making a mental note concerning the Henderson Bench Jig (TM). I should make one before christmas if I only find the time.

kantuckid

Every stool or bench I ever made (I sold lots of them, given away, so on) has a through, round tenon, turned on a wood lathe, then split strategically on the bandsaw, for a wedge to be driven from the top, extended portion of the tenon, above the top. I saw off the waste by hand, after glue has cured using a typical small handsaw made for that purpose with teeth set away from the cut. I drill the holes mostly by hand using a chunk of 2" thick maple, with a hole at my angle of choice. Sometimes I'll use a drill press but like the flexibility of doing them off the press.
I do have a LogMan tenon cutter device which cuts the tenons via a router bit but only use that for "log" material such as log beds. 

I like the look of the wedged tenons what with a wood wedge that offers contrasting color, plus helps to tighten the joint. I use Titebond III on dark woods and Titebond II (it's cheaper and very strong!) on light color woods. Mostly I use either Osage Orange/hedge wood, Maple or walnut for wedges. I've never had on come loose, which speaks well for them. I use that same detail when I attach my rocking chair arms to the two front posts but the rest of the chair has closed tenons.
I've made big benches, coffee tables, three leg, four legs and all shapes of tops all with wedged round tenons. Just my personal choice though as the other way looks great. I've used lots of inset butterfly crack holders and have the commercial plex pattern gizmos. A few I've cut from my own pattern. I do artistic woodburning sometimes on the front of a small drawer, etc., but have never gone to a puterized device as I enjoy using my "art brain" for some variety in a project. When I ever get around to making some of these Charcuterie boards I may wood burn on them. I often use dogwood blossoms, and other simple flowers, ivy vines, grapes and leafs, etc. for embellishments on corners.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

I like the look of the wedge in a through tenon.  but despite a backer board, at the angle I am drilling, where the Forstner bit come out on one side first I get some rough edges.  I have also done the blind wedges for a loose tenon that drives in as I place the leg tenon in a blind hole.  have to do your math.   :)

WV Sawmiller

I cheat and just use a metal sledge hammer type wedge when needed. I now drive it in parallel to the end vs to the sides because I found if I drove it in parallel to the sides I sometimes split the wood to the end as that appears to be the weak spot.

Wooden wedges look better but require the extra step of pre-sawing the tenon while the metal wedges can be added after the tenon is in place and the excess length has been sawed off. 

I guess if you do not like the look of the metal showing you could contersink them 1/4" or so and fill the gap with putty or wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on October 18, 2022, 11:01:20 AM
I like the look of the wedge in a through tenon.  but despite a backer board, at the angle I am drilling, where the Forstner bit come out on one side first I get some rough edges.  I have also done the blind wedges for a loose tenon that drives in as I place the leg tenon in a blind hole.  have to do your math.   :)
I simply clamp a sacrificial block of wood tightly to the seen, top side of the hole spot, then use forstner bits. Rarely does a bugger show up using that technique. My wood wedges are turned to be perpendicular to the corner apex of the bench/stool top. I use a wood mallet to drive/peck mine in with glue as a lube on them. My kids homes have all got my benches. Craft shows my main item was stools, cutting boards and weed pots from scraps. Bigger ticket items don't sell to people w/o money. 
On a tool handle I also use a wood wedge followed by the steel type, two if needed. 

doc henderson

Thanks.  I have used backer boards, but never clamped them.  I considered drilling from the good side as the chipped area is usually at the exit.  the problem is I use the flat top as a reference, so all the legs have the same angle.

Old Greenhorn

I use backers all the time for those thru holes. The angle assurers the breakout will be ugly without a backer. I alternate with clamps. If it's a good flat 'face to face' presentation I might skip the clamp, but if it is even a little questionable, I use a clamp to be sure. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tule peak timber

Quote from: doc henderson on October 18, 2022, 11:01:20 AM
I like the look of the wedge in a through tenon.  but despite a backer board, at the angle I am drilling, where the Forstner bit come out on one side first I get some rough edges.  I have also done the blind wedges for a loose tenon that drives in as I place the leg tenon in a blind hole.  have to do your math.   :)
On higher paying projects I use copper/bronze wedges for split splines, tenons, sometimes with patina. Depends on the customer
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

do you source, or make the soft metal wedges?

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on October 19, 2022, 08:58:20 AM
Thanks.  I have used backer boards, but never clamped them.  I considered drilling from the good side as the chipped area is usually at the exit.  the problem is I use the flat top as a reference, so all the legs have the same angle.
After I thought about it- Mostly I clamp my angled, pre-drilled hole gizmo to the tops and drill away and a few chip outs underneath are acceptable. You can also clamp the waste piece underneath if trying for perfection. It's a very old technique at that to prevent chip outs in wood.
I must say I've never heard of brass or bronze wedges in wood no matter how deep the pockets of a buyer? I've spent many hours in Smithsonian studing furniture and some other smaller museums, never saw a metal wedge in furniture? New one for me.  

tule peak timber

I buy copper, brass, and some bronze from Onlinemetals, every time they have a deep discount sale, bars, plate, shapes etc. I also use a lot of atomized metal. The larger furniture pieces are under non-disclosure so I can't show finished pics. But I can share a little trick that I use for slab joinery all the time. It works well in bar tops and some tabletops, particularly in end-to-end grain (butterfly match). I generate 4' long sticks of walnut in the shape of the largest Festool dominos. I slot each end on the table saw and insert copper plate with epoxy. I then grind off to a bullnose and cut it off an inch or so long, repeating the process over and over on the sticks, generating a pile of what appear to be copper split walnut tenons. It is a simple matter of punching a hole with the Festool domino machine and gluing in one of my faux tenons, standing slightly proud of the hole. I want to point out that there are many places that faux exposed joinery is applicable; very attractive, raises the price on a product and makes the customer feel special. This can also carry over into entry door building. You just need to size up the joinery.

Grinding soft metals into wedges for real joinery is a PITA.

I've been posting about the use of copper and brass tenons here for years; mostly on the inside of doors and gates. I'm also a big advocate of using metal in the wood, usually subset along with rove and rivet for attachment. In atomized metal I do inlay that makes coloured epoxy look like kids stuff, LOL. In my humble opinion if you can combine wood, metal and stone, you're going to make money.  

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jim Thomas

She really likes her bench.  Worried about it getting rained on...!!!

doc henderson

We got sawdust Jimmy on the forum! 8) 8) 8)

thecfarm

Yes, he is posting!!!
What's your wood working equipment?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!