ebay auction to support our forum. Spalted sweetgum doughbowl made by woodbowl

Started by woodbowl, April 16, 2006, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Beenthere, you're killing me, man!  Every time I think that I've got this auction won I find you raising the stakes again!

DanG!!!  <grin>

Olen, I'm starting to sweat a little - not sure that I've got this one in the bag or not...

Say, I've got an idea... assuming that DanG and Beenthere back off and let me win this w/o having to take out a second mortgage on the farm..., how about sending each one of them one of those "extra's" as a consolation prize?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

;D ;D ;D

So far, it just appears I am spending your money.  ;D ;D

But Olen teas'n me with those fancy shoes now........

I been searching for that hidden penny jar, and so far have only found some old cookies I hid away......
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

You got so close on that last bid that I had to go back in and raise my limit...

Re spending my money, you don't need to do that... I have a wife that fills that role quite well. <grin>

Say, rather than searching for those pennies, isn't today a great day to be outside??? (at least for the next five hours)....

KILROY

woodbowl,

That is excellent work on that bowl. Have you ever looked into getting a Dupli-carver. Wood-Mizer used to sell them. I do not know who makes them now. Once you have one of something you can make exact copies. For more information on them look at some of the old catalogs.

You gentlemen are doing a great job on that bidding.

beenthere

Not good enough though. Congrats to the winner Scott.  Poor Mom of DanG.

I was hoping to get a real close look at that woodbowl, but maybe another time. It was fun.   :)  Gonna fill those money jars back up now (ate the stale cookies !).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Man, someone gave me a run for the money at the end too!

I'm really looking forward to receiving the bowl.  When all of this started, I figured that I'd give it away.  Now, considering what it took to win it, I think that I'll keep it in a place of honor at the house.

Beenthere - if you ever want to see the bowl, feel free to drop by the farm.  Be warned though, our motto is "a happy guest is a working guest"! <grin>

Scott

Jeff

Now that was fun to watch and Scott, I hope that olen's sawing sho bonus fits as well. ;)  :D

Thanks to all of you that participate and donate to these auctions. It helps and is appreciated more then you can ever imagine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scsmith42

Well, if Olen sends the "bonus" along I'm not sure how I'm going to explain it to my wife...  Oh well, those little moments are what keeps life interesting!

Jeff, considering the amount of enjoyment that I have received from this forum, it's the least that I could do.  My thanks to you and the other admin's for all of the hard work and effort that you put forth providing this great board.

Scott

woodbowl

Congratulations Scott, you sure know how to give a good run for a bid. This has been a lot of fun and is helping the Forestry Forum in a lot of different ways.
   How's your sanding arm?  ::)  I think I'll send you a couple of extra unsanded bowls in the same package. These smaller bowls are Sycamore and will have a different grain pattern than Sweetgum. It takes me a good hour to step down the grits of sand paper to acheave the smoothness. Maybe I can get some pics on tonight. I'll get things packed up and ready to ship. Thanks Scott and everyone for making this a success.

PS:    Sorry ........ I'm going to need to keep the shoes. I had a blow out in a work boot last week and need to keep them for a back up. I think I've got another pair just like them somewhere around here but I can't fit under the bed anymore.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

scsmith42

Thanks Olen!

Re the shoes, darn, I'm heartbroken... that you won't be sending those to beenthere and DanG as a consolation prize! 

On the plus side, at least I won't have to think of a good whopper to tell my wife to try and explain why I was buying used shoes (thank goodness you weren't proposing to send used women's shoes - I never could have explained that away!)

It has been a fun time.  I must confess that I'm still wondering who gave me the run for the money at the end - not everybody's e-bay names and FF names are the same.

I'll look forward to receiving the bowl(s).  Extra's are not needed but if you send them it will give me a challenge to try to figure out how to automate and/or mechanize the sanding process. 

Jeff - the check is going out in today's mail.  I'll send it second day so that FF can get the bucks this month.

Thanks everybody.

Scott

woodbowl

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 24, 2006, 08:57:12 AM

thank goodness you weren't proposing to send used women's shoes

Used womens shoes?? ??  .............. That's not what the nice lady with the mustash told me at the flea market. Further more, I've noticed that they seem to have a calming effect toward unruly customers. Instead of giving me a hard time while I'm sawing, they stay out of the way and watch from a distance.

I've got your bowl packed up and ready to ship out, with a couple of sanding projects to boot. I'm still trying to think of something else I can send to ya. There still plenty of room in this box.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom

Send him a box of real grits, Olen.  That should make him happy.  :D

scsmith42

Olen, this may come across as sounding unappreciative on my part, which is certainly not my intent, but all I can say is "what goes around, comes around".    ::)

Take the cat in the box for instance... if you send me a critter, naturally I'll feel the need to reciprocate, with interest...   :o  :o  :o

Since my wife is a veterinarian who's mission in life seems to be to rescue all of the critters that she can, and my mission in life has subsequently become the quest to make sure that all of these rescued critters don't become permanent additions to our farm...

well, all I can say is that I have a LOT of "opportunity at hand" when it comes to reciprocating, if you know what I mean.   ;D ;D  ;D

When it comes to critter exchange between us, I'm pretty confident in stating that when all was said and done, you might feel like you'd brought a knife to a gunfight...  :D :D :D

With your inclusion of the extra bowls, you've already gone way above and beyond here.    Sometimes, it's just best to leave well enough alone, ya know?!  ;)

woodbowl

OK, I'll spare you the kitty. It's a very nice kitty but I'll find a home for him somewhere.  If anyone needs a purdy kitty, shipping 3rd class is $10.

scsmith42

Olen - tell you what... I'll pay the shipping if you send the kitty to "Beenthere"...   ;D ;D ;D  That'l give him something to spend all that cookie jar money on!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

woodbowl

UNCLEBUCK

Yep that is very nice bowls Olen , could I like mess them up with a salad and dressing and put it in the dishwasher or I suppose hand washing would be better ? Someday I am going to order a bunch .  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

scsmith42

Well, the bowls arrived today (san's kitten, shoes, etc - whew!), and the one that Olen finished out is even better looking up close than it is in the photo's.

It now occupies a place of honor as the centerpiece of our dining table.

I'm going to have to put some thought into how I can best sand down the "extra's" that Olen kindly included.  Looking at them really makes me appreciate the amount of work that goes into a finished product.

Olen - thanks for the great craftsmanship and for supporting the Forestry Forum!

Scott

woodbowl

I'm glad it made it there safe and sound. I can't help thinking about the program I saw of the postal workers playing football with the packages. Be sure to take some pics when you start sanding the other bowls. I'm really glad you like them and thank you for supporting the forestry forum as well. Olen