iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Locusts Are Coming!

Started by Okrafarmer, January 08, 2013, 10:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I am so jazzed (or excited) about landing an order for 1,000 bf of 8/4 live edge black locust boards for a special project in Florida. If all goes well, this should increase to two more orders from the same people.

We are near the southern end of natural black locust range, so we were the ones the customer found when they were searching the internet for it.

Now, you may be wondering what the special project is that it is to be used for. Well, I may let you know as time goes on.  ;D For now, I will let you know that the use will be structural, unique (at least very unusual for its time and place), and painstakingly scientific in the installation and/or construction phase. Although we generally associate live-edge lumber with artistic uses, the main reason this lumber will be live-edge is to ensure that the customer will have access to every last bit of wood possible when cutting the boards up into the shapes and sizes needed.

Happy guessing!

Photos will follow as my part of the project actually begins. I actually started yesterday by hunting down some trees. I have found plenty on Profdan's mountain property for the initial 1,000 bf order. I will be up there again tomorrow looking at some more. I may get a picture or two if I remember.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Slab Slicer

That's great news Okra. It's good to hear when someone lands a big job. I'll pass on guessing the use of the sawn logs, but looking forward to the pics. Congrats.  8) 8)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

JohnW

Congratulations, good luck, and I will guess somebody's building a board walk.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

loggah

Maybe a bridge!! i cut a bunch of that stuff a while ago 4"x10" x9' and 7"x9" x9', for log hauler skis and bunks. That stuff is heavy and hard !!! a friend of mine was looking at bidding on a footbridge in N.Y. city and it was to be made of locust!! good luck sawing that stuff. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Okrafarmer

It would be a good choice for log hauler skis, log sleds, etc. I don't know what they would have used originally, but locust is a good choice.

I have a brand new box of WM double-hard blades ready to go on this project, and if they don't do the trick, I'll buy a razor tip blade and try it out. I have milled locust before, but not on this mill. It is a bit difficult, of course. Possibly more difficult than devil-wood. I'm hoping I charged enough!  :o

Not a bridge.  ;D

ely

i sawed some locust and bo dark for a buddy last sunday, he was using it to build a bow to go bear hunting in canada this spring.

Okrafarmer

Yes, my dad has made a few bows out of locust from time to time. But this locust isn't for bows.

Ocklawahaboy

8/4 seems awfully thick for most Florida uses.  I thought maybe a sportsman lodge or something but 8/4 would seem like a waste. I'm going to take a wild stab and say someone is decking a really big boat.

Okrafarmer

Hmm, that would be a good use for locust, wouldn't it? But no, that is not it.

Brad_S.

I was excited to get a large locust order for a lakeside dock one time.
It turned into a nightmare!
I had a heck of a time cutting enough 4' boards that didn't have rot or ant damage.
Hope you have better luck with locust in that area.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Okrafarmer

loggah

Okrafarmer, Some i cut had random borer holes in it,no idea what it was. Also the heartwood was pretty much worthless, it was O.K. when i boxed it and made it the center of the timbers, if you are sawing 8/4 you might not be able to get these out of the center of the log.  hopefully not.  Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ocklawahaboy

Okrafarmer

Quote from: loggah on January 10, 2013, 08:37:51 AM
Okrafarmer, Some i cut had random borer holes in it,no idea what it was. Also the heartwood was pretty much worthless, it was O.K. when i boxed it and made it the center of the timbers, if you are sawing 8/4 you might not be able to get these out of the center of the log.  hopefully not.  Don

Well the couple of logs I milled last year didn't have those features, so I'm hoping we're good. I guess we'll find out.

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 10, 2013, 08:45:27 AM
Steps in a spiral staircase?
Good guess, but you were closer before!

Jemclimber

Do take some pictures of the boards you cut. I'm excited to hear what these will get used for.

The absolute nicest 8 Robinia psuedoacacia trees I have ever cut were on Indian reservation land next to a beautiful huge log home owned by the Big Indian. His known name because he was huge and owned a gas station/restaurant, a very nice guy God rest his soul. Those trees were the straightest locust trees I've seen, about 50 feet of clear usable stem and about 25-29 inch solid trunks with little taper. They had to be climbed because of access, and because they were on reservation land, had to be left there and cut up for firewood that would never get used. Just stacked along a loooong driveway. As a wood connoisseur I was heart broken, but paid well for the job.  :(   Many jobs get blurry, but that was one job I will never forget.  It was also the first time I saw flying squirrels.  About 75 feet in a hollow branch pocket, they flew/glided about 10 seconds to the bottom of the ravine.
lt15

Ocklawahaboy

Decking around the top of a lighthouse?  I'm reaching here...

Slingshot

I saw the title of the thread and thought Okrafarmer was
getting ready for the 17 year locust plague and was dreading
working in the woods with all that noise  go_away

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 10, 2013, 08:58:08 AM
Decking around the top of a lighthouse?  I'm reaching here...

Nope.

Quote from: Slingshot on January 10, 2013, 09:51:24 AM
    I saw the title of the thread and thought Okrafarmer was
getting ready for the 17 year locust plague and was dreading
working in the woods with all that noise  go_away

:D :D :D :laugh:

MILL BRANCH FARMS

DIGGER

roghair

Is locust the same as acacia? I have acacia's on my property; kind of yellow wood (very hard). Is that the same wood?

Unfortunately this tree went down because it was rotten.

built a sawmill

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

Quote from: roghair on January 11, 2013, 12:44:04 PM
Is locust the same as acacia? I have acacia's on my property; kind of yellow wood (very hard). Is that the same wood?

Roghair, your tree looks very similar to our black locusts. The scientific name for Black Locust is Robinia pseudoaccacia, so I guess that means it is a false accacia. Other than that, I am not an expert on dendrology, or scientific nomenclature, so maybe one of our scientists can tell us for sure whether this is the same type of tree you have.

I like your tractor, by the way!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: drobertson on January 11, 2013, 03:58:13 PM
Okra! where are the  pics?

Rainy day today. I went around trying to source some logs. So far I have a handful of loggers who are going to keep a lookout, and another who thinks he might know where there's 500 bf of logs, but they may be a little old. = hard to mill.  :-\ I also found about 200-300 bf already milled, but it is not live edge and some of it has too much shake to be of any use. besides sitting around for 6-8 months outside not stickered. It is far better to provide the customer with fresh green lumber.

Quote from: MILL BRANCH FARMS on January 11, 2013, 12:14:38 PM
building a boat?

Ah-- getting very warmer! Hot, you might say. Someone is building a vessel.

sprucebunny

Hot tub ???
I had a cypress 'hot tub' It had been an apple cider vat in it's previous life. It rotted out !

I cut some locust a few years ago. Had a hard time getting much good wood but did accumulate a few boards for decking and some crummy 3x3 for sleepers.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!