iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from the new guy

Started by justallan1, January 20, 2013, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

Howdy, I figured I should register so I can thank all of you folks for the threads I have read on here.
My name is Allan and I'll be around to ask questions and help out any when I can.
I just bought a Hudson HFE 21 portable sawmill and plan on cutting corral plank and a little for my own projects. I work for a large ranch and got it for something to do on the side and in the evenings in the better months.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks and have a great day.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed my bike ride out to your part of the world.
What species of lumber are you planning on cutting?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Just.

Here's my first question. I'm in South Carolina. What is Corral Plank? Pictures?

Thanks and again, Welcome.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Like the corral that horses are trained in, on a ranch. Sawing logs to produce corral plank, I'd guess, rather than sawing corral plank.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

SE Montana must cover a lot of territory. Prolly bigger area than most states in the USA. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on January 20, 2013, 06:49:17 PM
Like the corral that horses are trained in, on a ranch. Sawing logs to produce corral plank, I'd guess, rather than sawing corral plank.

I got ya now. I thought Corral Plank was a species I'd never heard of.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

From the Corral Reef ?   ;D

I'll admit it took me awhile to catch on too. But just in the nick of time before you did....:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

Thanks Beenthere, corral plank is just 2x8x16. That's all we use on our corrals other than railroad ties for posts.
And yup it's a big chunk of land, the ranch I work for is 85,000 acres, and there are larger ranches. I live about 100 miles from Billings, Montana.
Custonsawyer, I'll be cutting mostly pine and maybe a little cedar for personal stuff. This is beatiful country for a bike, maybe I'll get another one someday.

Magicman

Hello justallan1.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum, and Congratulations on the new sawmill.  I look forward to reading about your sawing adventures, or anything else that you choose to share.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodey

Welcome Justallan1 to the Forestry Forum. 8)

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Mooseherder

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Looking forward to you sharing your Montana pictures. :)

justallan1

Thanks all for the welcomes.
I have hundreds of pictures of the ranch, old homesteads and the wildlife, I'm just looking for the right place to post them.

Mooseherder

Right here is a good place to start. ;D

mad murdock

Welcome justallan1, the adventure begins... I 'spect 85,000 acres is just about enough to stretch your legs a bit, eh? Is any of the forested parts of the ranch being managed for timber value, or just ranching? How much of the spread is in timber of some sort or other? Sounds like a nice slice o' heaven!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

justallan1

The ranch I work for lost 34,000 acres to fires this last year, mostly our trees. We were 4-5 days until we got air support so we lost everything in the hills, it was just moving around so fast that we couldn't get dozers very close.
Very few trees were much more than scorched bad enough to kill them. We were luckier than some around here, we only lost one house and one set of corrals and we still have most of our pastureland.
That was the entire reason that I went and bought a bandmill.
I will say this is still one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

ND rancher

Hello from ND neighbor and welcome. Are you along the Powder River? I have family to the west and south of you then. Have fun milling.  Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

thecfarm

justallan1,welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the fire. I've seen 2 fires way to close to me.One was right next to my wood lot and the other was on the other side of the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

ND rancher, Do you know where Colstrip is? It's the town with the big coal mine and power plant. The ranch is right near there.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rooster 58

Hey there Just, Montana is a beautiful state. I havn't been in your neck of the woods, but hunted twice in the nw corner near Heron which is near the Idaho border and maybe 100 miles or so south of Canada. Welcome to the forum ;)

ND rancher

I know exactly where it is.To rough of town for me. Have a neighbor who moved here from there, retired from the mines.My sister lives just over the Wolf Mts.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

justallan1

We have a small set of mountains running through the ranch that we call the Little Wolfs.
Okay, I've been trying to put up a picture for the last hour, UGH! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Allan

thecfarm

This should do it,

Go to your gallery,Click onto your album,than click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In post,click onto that,say yes and that is it. I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from a post. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Use the preview button to see how it looks. If all else fails copy,paste the link.
I went to your gallery and saw your pictures. good job.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Thanks thecfarm. We'll see if this works.

Mooseherder

Here is Jeff's tutorial and explains everything.
Let us know if you need more help.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

hardtailjohn

Hi Allan, welcome to FF. You'll find lots of help and advice here!  I'm on a ranch (smaller) on the other side of the state..over near Kalispell. Glad to see more Montanans showing up here!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

thecfarm

I should have this posted first,open your gallery,which will bring up a new window,than I click on Post a reply. than go to your gallet which is all ready open.

thecfarm

I see you got it. You are on your own now.

justallan1

LOL, Thanks for the help. I'm sure proud cows are dumber than computers.
Now I'll go put a bunch in my gallery of the rest of the ranch.
That picture was of a little that the fire went through and where my trees are.
Again, thanks and good to meet you all.

thecfarm

Just so you know,Jeff only has the gallery for pictures that are used in a post. It's not a place to store pictures. So any pictures in your gallery needs to be used in a post. I think that was mentioned in the how to download pictures link.

justallan1

Okay, thank you for the heads up. As long as it takes my computer to upload pictures I'm confident I'll only be putting on pictures that I'll be showing in a post.

justallan1

Here's a picture of my new toy.

thecfarm

Are you logger,the sawyer and the fence builder? Doing all three will keep you busy. How are the logs getting out of the woods?

justallan1

I'm just doing this for something to keep me from sitting in the house.
I enjoy working alone, so yes I'm the boss, laborer and lowest paid on this little venture. lol.
I'm thinking I may put a set of gin poles in an old 4WD I have and winch the logs as high as possible and drag them to the saw and then just cut a round or so off the end on the ground so i'm not sawing on rocks.
This ranch is pretty good about letting me do what I wish, so long as my duties for the ranch are caught up.

rooster 58

Hud-Son Forest Equipment

Welcome!! We too are new to the Forestry Forum Family and are so amazed with all the great people and stories we have read on here. Awesome site.

Thank you for your support of the HFE 21 and pleased you are enjoying it. Please post pictures when you get a chance of any projects you are working on!
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

justallan1

It's a nice mill for what I plan to do. I researched a few mills and looked at pricing plus know what I wanted. I went and watched the sales rep demo it for me, played around with it and bought the thing. I used it enough at the house to get the feel for it and like it.
Hud-son, after I get it mounted on my trailer and saw some logs I'm perfectly willing to give you a full review in the appropriate place for one.
Now, I need to get finished on a truck so that I can work on my own projects.
Allan

Hud-Son Forest Equipment

Look forward to you getting it on the truck and for the review! Thank you for the reply.
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Thank You Sponsors!