iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

He Took My Slabs!

Started by Tree Feller, January 20, 2013, 11:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I've been sawing some Post Oak and SYP I had stockpiled while waiting to get my mill back on the new trailer. Friday while I was sawing, my across-the-county-road neighbor came over with a ERC log on his trailer. He wanted to know if I would saw it for him and I said sure.

He left the log and this afternoon, I got to it. It was a 16' log and I sawed it into two 8' logs (ok'd by the neighbor). I got 70 bft of 4/4 lumber from it.

When the neighbor showed up to load the ERC lumber, he asked me what I was intending to do with the slabs piled near the mill. I said "burn 'em."
He ended up taking the entire pile of slabs...even the short pieces. He said he will take all the slabs I don't want.

He sells firewood but it's all Oak. I don't know what he wants those slabs for but I'll be happy to let him have all of mine.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Slabs can build up into huge piles.  Don't ask me how I know this  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I have a good size one. But here I can use it to keep the house warm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

that is awsome! slabs are by products for sure.  waste made to cash is a +  they sell here for 25 bucks a bundle for charcoal, but this market is temporant on many factors,   pine is a negative for charcoal. Oak is a seller as far as slabs go/
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

j-dland

ERC slabs =$$$ Just call it Character
David

Bibbyman

We sell slabs by the PU load – customer loads himself – for $10/load.  We also have a number of "slab hounds", as we call them,  drop off trailers and we will load directly onto the trailer.  Some get slabs on their trailers all summer long to beat the winter rush.  We've had as many as five trailers on the lot waiting for slabs.  The other day we sold for PU loads in one day.  Just two today.  Normally we're out by this time of year but it had been relatively warm and dry this fall and so far this winter. But our slab pile is going pretty fast since the first of the year.

We don't make a lot of cedar slabs but some guys want them for one reason or another.  I dump them on a pile separate from the rest.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

okmulch

I sell my Eastern red cedar third and fourth slabs (the ones that have been edged basically) to horse people that line stalls with them for $50 a bundle. A bundle is 3.5 feet by 3.5 feet by 8 foot.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Bibbyman

BIL had a small farm that all the rough area was covered with good cedar. We sawed out a lot of cedar posts and dimension lumber for him.  He used it to built horse stalls, and runways. He found the horses didn't crib on the cedar.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

torqueporting

Hardwood slabs make awesome firewood for any type of stove or fireplace. Dried softwood slabs are nearly as good but have less energy per slab given the lower wood density.

WH_Conley

I have one guy that has a big party once a year. Think hundreds of people for a week. I save my poplar slabs for him, as they are wanting flames vs coals for cooking or heat. The oak slabs get bundled for sale. I have a few left, with this cold spell I will probably be out this week.
Bill

Magicman

My helper today never misses a lick, and in fact is probably one of the best that I have ever had.  I am sawing for a many times repeat customer so he knows the routine.

He also knows how to buck the slabs into firewood lengths.  This sawjob will provide him with enough firewood to finish the Winter.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're lucky to have a good helper. Around here it's hard to find ANY help.
I had a good friend of mine help me with some White Oak yesterday. He pulled his end of the board before I got mine, the board was about to fall on the rail chain. I went to grab it and BAM......right on my finger!  smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3
I will now lose my finger nail and lucky I didn't break my finger. If it swells any bigger.....the law says I have to wear a glove.  :o   *****Lee, It was my Buddy, Chuck*****

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doctorb

It's a subungual hematoma.  If it's killing you / throbbing, you may need the paper clip trick (Not that you'd do it to yourself).
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: doctorb on January 21, 2013, 09:59:45 PM
It's a subungual hematoma.  If it's killing you / throbbing, you may need the paper clip trick (Not that you'd do it to yourself).

I have already been told to take a tiny drill bit and go back and forth until I break through and strike Oil.  >:(

Magicman

Ouch !!  Wanna see my toenails again.  I now have three brand new shiny pink ones and one that is still your blue color.

It is a simple matter to drill a hole in the fingernail with a sharp pointed knife blade to relieve the pressure.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

The best way is to heat up the unfolded end of a paper clip.  It will burn/melt through your nail and allow drainage of the hematoma.  I know, I know it sounds barbaric, but if you have one of these under intense pressure, it will make you a real believer in this method, because they can be so exquisitely painful.  Not easy to do yourself!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2013, 10:03:51 PM

It is a simple matter to drill a hole in the fingernail with a sharp pointed knife blade to relieve the pressure.   :o

Ya'll keep on and I will pull some strings and DELETE this thread. Ya'll are making my skin CRAWL.  :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

poston,the pot calling the kettle black.   :D I don't want to see anymore nail pictures that are on the human body. EVER!!!!!  I know how that feels.   :'(  I will have nightmares tonight.  :o I will be jumping out of bed holding on to finger in extreme pain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 21, 2013, 10:10:00 PM
poston,the pot calling the kettle black.   :D I don't want to see anymore nail pictures that are on the human body. EVER!!!!!  I know how that feels.   :'(  I will have nightmares tonight.  :o I will be jumping out of bed holding on to finger in extreme pain.

Take DoctorB's advice and go to bed with a paper clip!  :D :D :D :D :D

Magicman

Remember that you have many friends on here that will be glad to relieve your pressure.....or add to it.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic.....I DO NOT WANNA SEE YOUR TOENAILS.......AGAIN.  :D
This finger is STILL swelling.....I'll probably be in the movies before long.   laugh_at

Peter Drouin

Well you wanted a sawmill,   :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 21, 2013, 10:23:33 PM
Well you wanted a sawmill,   :D :D ;D

YEP! And I hit a nail!  :D

SPIKER

OUCH :o hate when that happens.

worst I ever got was a hunk of 6" heavy wall channel when welding a Tank the channel was going to be welded flush on the outside of the tank top to reinforce it.   it was standing up on the flange and I leaned over it with my hand on top to weld under a bung in the tank.   it rolled over landed on 3 of my 4 finger nails on the 1/4" tanks sidewall.   trapped my hand while I was laying on it I couldn't move.   luckily 2 of the guys I worked with was there getting ready to hold the channel in-place while I tacked it.  they picked it up and I fell flat on my face in the tank...    >:( :-X :-[

Sorry NO PICS  ;)   I also NAILED my thumb nail with a 24oz Ball Peen Hammer on a full swing...   ::) :o 

I did the HOT PIN trick to myself, by the 3rd finger I must admit I was shaking some as I over pushed on the 2nd one by about 1/32" :o  I had not thought of the dull paperclip trick...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

Wow, a dull, hot, paper clip  :)  Whew  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 21, 2013, 11:03:49 PM

Oh thanks Danny.  :D

Magic, if your toes fall off, I'll give you the finger.  ;D

woodyone.john

this was just too good, now why would i say that :-[
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

thecfarm

Poston,how did you sleep last night?  :(

Cedarman

My fingers took one look at this thread and now they won't uncoil. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom L

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 21, 2013, 09:54:22 PM
You're lucky to have a good helper. Around here it's hard to find ANY help.
I had a good friend of mine help me with some White Oak yesterday. He pulled his end of the board before I got mine, the board was about to fall on the rail chain. I went to grab it and BAM......right on my finger!  smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3
I will now lose my finger nail and lucky I didn't break my finger. If it swells any bigger.....the law says I have to wear a glove.  :o   *****Lee, It was my Buddy, Chuck*****

loose that ring! your wife will understand, three inches to the left and that ring would have squished
and really cause a problem, more injuries here at the plant because of wedding rings above all others

I don't let any of the men wear them here. just too many injuries associated with them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2013, 06:57:16 AM
Poston,how did you sleep last night?  :(

I'm still blue.  ;D

thecfarm

First off,I bet you are.
Second off,fire your so called helper,  :D  you're better off alone.  ;D

I hate to talk about it,but I smashed one so bad once,the skin on the other side of the nail died too. Than another time I went down to fill the furnace in my other house,I just about woke up and went down cellar,threw in a big stick into the fire box,somehow it came back and my finger was between the stick and the edge of the door. That woke me up REAL quick.

rooster 58

I graduated from the Rooster School of Medicine. Splinters, blisters, what have you. I even told my surgeon I thought about repairing my broken ankle with the help of a friend. Told him all I needed was good whiskey(antiseptic, anesthesia), a utility knife, and a cordless drill with drill bits and some small finish screws. He laughed and said basically that wa what he was going to do.
     The paper clip trick works and brings instant relief. I've performed that procedure to myself and others ;D

ohsoloco

Never tried a paper clip, but I didn't have much luck heating up a small nail.  I just plug in my little wood burning "pen" and have at-er.  Works like a charm, and the relief is instant (unless your finger is broken).

Nomad

The one time I had to do that, I went high tech.  I used a really small drill in a drill press.  Did it to myself too.  Wasn't no way I was gonna let anybody else run a drill press into my finger!  Worked like a charm.  I just didn't have enough nerve to do it any other way.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

When I was about five we had a hired man on the farm that had jumped off of a hay wagon and left his ring, and finger, on the wagon. His father, uncles, and brothers all worked in sawmills or on farms and were missing fingers and hands. When this mans first son was born, he had extra digits on both of his hands and feet. I guess someone figured he needed some spare parts. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 22, 2013, 07:56:31 PM
he had extra digits on both of his hands and feet.

Digits?  :D Now thats a new one. Never heard that.

Dave Shepard

Probably not correct for toes, but he had one extra of those on each foot.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mikeb1079

QuoteThe best way is to heat up the unfolded end of a paper clip.  It will burn/melt through your nail and allow drainage of the hematoma.  I know, I know it sounds barbaric, but if you have one of these under intense pressure, it will make you a real believer in this method, because they can be so exquisitely painful.

yes yes yes!!  the doc is spot on.  i smashed my finger badly years ago it swelled so badly that i couldn't sleep.  next morning a co worker suggested this trick and the relief was incredible.  if you're in enough pain you'll do whatever it takes to make it stop.   :) :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ianab

When I was a kid about 10 or so I crushed a fingernail under a rock, and ended up at the ER. Nurse basically did the paperclip trick with the blunt end of a needle heated over a  Bunsen burner. They probably have an expensive machine to do it now  :D

I've since done it on myself a couple of times with the paperclip. MUCH better than drilling as you don't put any extra pressure and movement on it. It just melts though the nail. Instant relief once you get though.

Not for the squeamish, and there is a bit of a "burning hair" smell involved, but as a first aid remedy  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GDinMaine

Now you guys tell about the easy burn through method.  I did the drilling with a very sharp pointy knife :'(.  It really hurt and then it really helped when I got through.

This is funny
Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 22, 2013, 07:56:31 PM
... he had extra digits on both of his hands and feet. I guess someone figured he needed some spare parts. :o
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

pigman

After reading this thread all my fingers and toes hurt.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

customsawyer

I am typing with my knuckles since my fingers won't uncurl. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

francismilker

I sell all the hardwood slabs cut up for firewood I can cut.  The ERC slabs go to folks wanting to line horse stalls as fast as I can cut them too!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!