iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen Sawmill!

Started by rooster 58, January 22, 2013, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

Here are photos of my new mill. I apologize to everyone for what happened to it when I brought it home. All seems well tho

Jeff

Reminds me of when my slush-mizer came across the continental divide. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I was thinking the same thing.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

rooster 58

Oh Jeff ::) and I thought mine was bad ;D  I brought it home from near Atlanta, Ga. I should have retreated to my sis's in Lynchburg, Va., but thought I could outrun the storm. At least we made it safely, and I was able to thaw it out the next day. Still, an embarrassing beginning  :-[

isawlogs

I have had my mill looking like that a few times .. man it hurts ...  :-\  :'(   Getting into the cocoon makes one feel a whole bunch better :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sumday

Rooster, congrats on your new mill. If you want to get away from the snow and visit your sister, bring the mill. I've got a  pecan tree at my dads place on cottontown rd the I'd like to see the inside of. Came down in that deracho storm last year. Since I am mill-less , I'm going to try to build a chainsaw mill and have a go at it.  I've been inspired by a few others on here to make do with what I have/ can create until I can buy a real mill. Anyhow , if you want to visit sis, try the new mill in warmer weather, and take home half a pecan tree .... 

rooster 58

Well there Sumday, thanks for the offer. I hear them pecans are buggers to saw :-\ we could give it a go I reckon. I didn't know there was pecan in that area. Lots of poplar and oak in sis's yard, and 1 cherry and some stuff I'm not sure of :-\

clww

Or you can bring it by our place, next time you visit your sister. I'm an hour from I-81. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2013, 10:02:54 AM

Jeff, looks like a Milk Chocolate covered saw mill.

Rooster, your mill is so cold it turned blue.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rooster 58

Clww, i'll have to look you up when I get down there again. You too Sumday ;)
    Poston, I thought about chaining it to a tree, I was worried it might sneak off by itself back to the sunny south ;D

drobertson

Scott , glad you posted now?  I told you you were'nt the only one that has had to deal with winter travel. You northern boys, I take my hat off to you, that weather is made for polar bears in my opinion.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Congrats on the mill, Rooster.

I couldn't saw in that kind of weather.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John_Haylow

I'm not sure that tarp is a good idea, it may trap moisture. I would just use the factory covers if it were me.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

rooster 58

John, I've thouht of that. I only have a cover for the control panel, not the head. I'm looking for a place to keep it under roof somewhere. Any thoughts from others?

flyboy16101

I dont worry about a frozen mill when I go down the road its all that salt that makes me dread traveling to and from jobs in the winter  :'(
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

loggah

Boy i hope those mills weren't covered with roadsalt !!!! they would rust up solid ! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Holmes

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2013, 10:02:54 AM

I had not seen that picture before. It made me laugh... ;D
Think like a farmer.

rooster 58

Thanks Loggah, I rinsed it off with a hose lightly

bandmiller2

Boy if I had a shiney new mill like that I'd evict something,even my neighbors car to get it under cover. Puttermiller2
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Nomad

Since it's already had a bath I think I'd offer it a good hot cup of coffee and a hug.  Most likely it'll turn down the coffee.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Brucer

So, what's the problem. It's got a little snow on it. Big deal. Those mills are tough ;).

I've tarped mine a couple of times and never had a problem. The biggest hassle I've had in the winter is when it snowed wet snow on a weekend and then the temperature dropped way down. A couple of times the carriage froze to the rail and I had to break it free with a 4' bar.

I always fire a shot of WD-40 into all the ignition switches late in the fall, and keep the console covers on when the mill isn't in use. Does the trick.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

Not the snow and ice that would concern me, but the road salt getting into and under all the nooks and crannies, including the engine shrouds.

Learned that pulling our log splitter on the winter highways. The B&S engine took a beating under the metal shrouds. But we discovered it early and stripped it down for some cleaning, primer, and paint.

Engine gets covered when on the road in the winter now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rooster 58

Thanks for all the help guys ;)  This mill will be stationary, and under roof, if I ever find an acre or two ::)

sumday

Rooster, I was swapping engines in a truck a little while back, needed some shelter , so I threw up a quick frame out of scrap 2x I had laying around . Got a big tarp and stretched it over. Took maybe two hours total to construct. Lasted maybe 8 months through a lot of bad weather . Not a permanent solution, but might do for a while, and it's cheap.

Thank You Sponsors!