iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me mill

Started by crash, December 26, 2013, 10:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash

Howdy all. I'm a logger by trade, just bought a large circular mill, always wanted one. The mill has a big old Cummins, hydraulic log turner, 3 knees, and 4 extra blades. I plan to move it home this spring over layoff. Can a person make any money with these things? (dont need to get rich) I have the book Circular sawmills and their efficient operation, is there another good source for knowledge? I'm mechanicly inclined and a good fabricator. I'm looking forward to assembling and operating this thing but it would be nice to be able to make a little extra money to keep the "war department" happy. All thoughts/advice are aprieciated. Thanks in advance.

Magicman

I am of no help with your questions but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Crash.
Sorry,I can't help much either.

Allan

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Crash!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brian_Rhoad

Possum Creek

Sell the  big money logs and saw the cheap logs, that way you have enough money to keep sawing.  :D  Joking aside, Crash you could see where your best profit is easy enough.          Good luck               PC   

beenthere

QuoteI have the book Circular sawmills and their efficient operation

That is about the best there is for info in a nutshell. There are other sources, and one of those is surely this Forestry Forum. There are several experts here with a lot of circular sawmill experience, starting right at the top with the Boss... Jeff.

For others who may read this, here is a ling to the book referred to

Circular sawmills and their efficient operation
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

arnold113

Welcome to the forum, Crash.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

hunz

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

lyle niemi

Welcome to FF, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics, I also have a circle mill being powerd with a big ol cummins.

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum. I don't have a lot of circle saw experience, but the name of the game is efficiency. A circle mill can process a lot of wood compared to a band mill, thoughtfull setup of the mill operation keeping material flow in mind is very important, and can make the difference between making some money or just making sawdust and wood chips, IMO. Knowing how to set up your logdeck, and probably just as or more important, the waste flow in chips and slabs, not to mention an edger, will all greatly increase workflow and efficiency. Trying to be efficient with a circle mill and no edger is really like trying to walk with a bum leg. Just can't git er done" the same. My suggestion would be to visit a few circle mills in your region, talk to the owners and see if they will take you up on some "free" help on the green chain for a day or two at each one.  That will give you an opportunity to see how they do it, and what works and what doesn't, and will go a long way in helping you plan your mill setup, before you get the cart ahead of the horse with setting up your mill. Good luck, and I can't wait to see some pics of your new (to you) mill!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

My experience would lead me to believe a circle mill with no edger is slightly better than a bandmill with no edger. But granted, with an edger is much better.

Fairly easy (simple) for the circle mill off-bearer to collect a stack of 8-10 un-edged boards, then stack them on the carriage wide ones first, and build a stack aligning the outside edge. Then make one pass by the head saw. Return and re-stack with the other edge lined up in the stack. One more pass by the head saw and all the boards are edged.

Less time than stacking vertically for a band mill edging as I see it. ;)

But the circle mill is harder to operate alone, being without the off-bearer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerBrown

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, crash. No help either but is there a story behind your handle?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

bandmiller2

Welcome Crash,its easy to augment your income with a mill its tough to earn all your beans with one.Do your homework and set it up right with a good roof over it stockpile some logs so when you can't log you can mill.It helps to find a nitch,but the word will get around and you will find your spending more time in the mill and less in the woods.I run my circular mill alone but then again I'am retired and just a puttermiller.If you will be cutting alone you can make up all sorts of rube Goldberg conveyers and kickers to make it a little more efficient.Keep us posted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

crash,welcome to the forum
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crash

Thanks for the welcome, and the replies. Will post pics when I go back in a couple months to figure out how to disassemble and haul this monster home, kinda wish I would have payed more attention when I was there but at the time I didnt figure on owning that beautiful piece of equipment. There was an edger near it but sadly the scrap man found it along with the sawdust conveyor.
SawyerBrown there are many stories, but they can be summed up by saying that many of my "adventures" as a younger man (at 31 Im still a young fellow) ended with a "crash"
My intent is to mill for fun and pay my costs while doing so, I guess the better question I should have asked is what is the approx cost of ownership of an older circle mill? fuel is an obvious big one, I dont normally jump into something blind like this. The only other small mill in my area that I know of is a fellow with a bandmill.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: crash on December 27, 2013, 09:40:04 PM
SawyerBrown there are many stories, but they can be summed up by saying that many of my "adventures" as a younger man (at 31 Im still a young fellow) ended with a "crash"
:D
Well, I don't claim to know the fine points about logging, but I guess "crash" is a good thing if its a tree falling.  Unless it lands on your truck...  I will tell you that "crash" in sawing is usually not a positive event  ;D. Anyway, good to have you with us!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

slider

crash check out members Lyle nemie and spd748 great builds on both these guys.
al glenn

crash

Quote from: slider on December 28, 2013, 07:54:39 AM
Boy howdy yea they are! Thanks again everyone.

lyle niemi

Quote from: crash on December 29, 2013, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: slider on December 28, 2013, 07:54:39 AM
Boy howdy yea they are! Thanks again everyone.
I have alot of trial and error Crash, iffin you have any question at all dont be skeered to ask. If I was to set up another mill it wouldnt take me near as long as this one did, I dang near had a few brain meltdowns..lol

ddcuning

Welcome Crash. I have a Frick 00 circular mill powered by an older Cummins HRF-6. Good to have you on the FF and look forward to pictures.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

crash

Well fellers and felleret's, I went to the mill the other day to make an offer on some support equipment, and figure out some logistics... Took some pic's, also rescued an edger from the scrap man (thought he had already gotten it). The motor is a NHB cummins can anyone tell me what the rest of it is? I'm getting pretty dang excited, can't wait to make some noise and saw dust
https://forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/cool.gif

crash

Well shoot. Apparently I'm not smart enough to get pictures to go from the computer to FF...?

lyle niemi

Quote from: crash on January 05, 2014, 03:46:30 PM
Well shoot. Apparently I'm not smart enough to get pictures to go from the computer to FF...?
took me a while to figure it out also

beenthere

Follow the primer in "Behind the Forum" (first thread) and it is not hard. Just get your own gallery set up in your profile, .. let us know at what point it fails for you.

And always use the "Preview" button before the "Post" button to see if you have what you want. Or use the "Modify" button to correct and edit your post.

We'll help you over the hump.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!