iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Juniper (eastern red cedar) Fireplace Mantle

Started by mesquite buckeye, June 23, 2016, 02:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

I cut some cedars in Missouri last fall with the idea of making fireplace mantles from them with branch stubs for Christmas stockings. Finally talked Wade into using one in one of his house flips. ;D Took some selling up front but now he is hooked. ;D ;D  We are calling it juniper, which it is, as that is more thought of as a local product out here. Marketing, marketing, marketing....

I thought it turned out pretty nice.  :)

This is in the same house as the "big fat countertop" of the same date.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

The mantle looks really good.  How long had it been sawed before it was hung above the fireplace with care?  Also, was it finished with oil or something else?  The reason I ask, is that lately I have had several folks wanting cedar for mantles.  I have one sawn that looks a lot like the one you posted.  Everyone asks me what to finish their mantles with-dang-I do not even have a fireplace in my house but it seems like oil would be a good choice.
Caveman
Caveman

mesquite buckeye

I cut it last October.  It has been sitting out in my back yard in about half sun since. Seems like they are pretty dried out now. I'll bet cedar man could tell you how long something like this would take to dry out in a wetter climate. I think Wade finished it with the same mineral oil/beeswax that he uses on the mesquite countertops. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!