iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building with green lumber

Started by panhandle, February 25, 2012, 03:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhandle

I am planning to build a small workshop. I have access to plenty of spruce, pine, and fir and it would be much cheaper to mill my own lumber for the project than to purchase it. The only issue is that I have no way to dry the lumber other than air drying, which would take longer than I have the patience for.

So my question is whether I could use green lumber (2x4s and 2x8s, mostly) for structural parts of my new shop. I'm not worried about conforming to code (it's very lax in my area) but I am worried about building a safe and long-lasted shop.

Thanks in advance!

Corley5

It'll work fine.  I built my house with green lumber.  Some of the lumber was three days from the stump to being nailed up.  Let it dry down before you do any finish work  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

customsawyer

In long spans you might want to put in some extra braces but it will work fine. I recommend using some screws also  not just nails.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Most of the building around here is done with green lumber, dried less than a couple of weeks.

Most of that building is for camps, sheds, barns, etc.

It'll hold up.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cutting Edge

Growing up, all the ol' farmers swore by building with green lumber.  They claimed as the barn, building, etc. dried it actually "tightened up" from the lumber shrinking.  I dunno about fact or fiction, but it does kinda make sense.  Please correct me if this is wrong ???

Decking nails (screw nails) are an excellent choice for a fastener.  Excellent holding power!!! and galvanized!!!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

MHineman

Here in Indiana we don't have much Pine, Spruce, or Fir.  Just HARDwoods.  If you expect to drive a nail in instead of drilling first then nailing, it NEEDS to be green lumber.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

beenthere

QuoteGrowing up, all the ol' farmers swore by building with green lumber.  They claimed as the barn, building, etc. dried it actually "tightened up" from the lumber shrinking.  I dunno about fact or fiction, but it does kinda make sense.  Please correct me if this is wrong

Consider that during drying, wood shrinks in only two of its three dimensions (does not shrink along its grain). So boards nailed or screwed to studs (for example) would get narrower and thinner from shrinkage. But the studs would not shrink in length so the boards would have gaps between them and seems the wall would be looser rather than tighter.
Now if the studs would shrink in length, then tighter might be the result.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

park ranger

The douglas fir that I cut is fine to build with green for a shop. But I just looked at a sheet rocked wall in my kitchen that had somewhat greenish wood in it that shows thru the sheet rock.  My 60' garage and my 48' shop were all put up green and they are fine.  I just put up a fire wood shed, from the mill to the truck, to the shed in a few days.

losttheplot

Ring shank or spiral shank nails may be a good choice.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on February 26, 2012, 01:09:44 AM
QuoteGrowing up, all the ol' farmers swore by building with green lumber.  They claimed as the barn, building, etc. dried it actually "tightened up" from the lumber shrinking.  I dunno about fact or fiction, but it does kinda make sense.  Please correct me if this is wrong

Consider that during drying, wood shrinks in only two of its three dimensions (does not shrink along its grain). So boards nailed or screwed to studs (for example) would get narrower and thinner from shrinkage. But the studs would not shrink in length so the boards would have gaps between them and seems the wall would be looser rather than tighter.
Now if the studs would shrink in length, then tighter might be the result.

Good point Beenthere!
If you were considering putting up board and batten siding, you could put up the boards and let the battens dry good before putting them on.
That way, they shouldn't shrink, or at least the shrinkage would be minimal.  ;)
The same applies if you were going to double-board a wall.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MotorSeven

As mentioned for green wood, think about board 'n batten, or board on board. Even less work is live edge board on board....this is Hemlock on my log house. There will be lots of green wood inside my house on all interior walls and the inside of the gables.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Magicman

I have had builders pick up the lumber that I sawed one day and give me a cut list for the next day.  Yup, it all went up green and that was for two homes, not outside buildings or sheds.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flyboy16101

If you go with board and batten siding you can put the batten up the same day but only nail it to one board but not to both. Then after a year or so nail it to the other board after they have dried and shrunk to seal it up. I have done this on several sheds and buildings it works great and the half nailed batten strips keep the wind, snow and rain out while the siding dries, no gaps between the boards while they are drying
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Sixacresand

I just used some green undried lumber on my the top of my barn and workshop.  I think it Looks good.  LOL
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!