iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

time to buy a sharpener and setter(?)

Started by Jwswan, October 11, 2023, 08:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The 93 blades that I had resharpened this year does not include 11 nail strike blades that I used but did not send to ReSharp.  I charge the customer $45 and discard them because after resharpening they may leave tooth marks which is unacceptable for me.  

I sawed 3246bf this week using 4 blades and I could easily resharpen them today.  My jobs usually require 2-3 blades and I very seldom saw more than one job per week.  This will give me ample time to stay current with my blades, even with the manual sharpener/setter even if I still use 100+ blades per year.

As of now I intend to increase my sawing rate at least $25 per Mbf to offset the resharpener cost.

My "resharpening station" will be in a shop corner where the intake of my squirrel cage shop exhaust fan is so I believe that the "oil mist" situation will be OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

The short answer is "Yes, time to buy."
Better get them on order now before they have a two year lead time.

There are business nearby that offer sharpening services, and I've used several of them.  They all are terrible on bandsaws, although good on circular saw blades, table saws, etc.

Most are in the 10 cents per tooth range.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Pinegrub

I use Menominee Saw to sharpen my bandsaw blades. They service the US and Canada. 

Chuck White

For those of you, not interested in sharpening blades, why not use them once, then put the used blades up for sale at a reduced price?

That way, you wouldn't have to mess with them, just keep them looking good and they will sell!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanielW

I shouldn't really comment, as I still use my circular mills for most of my milling - the bandsaw only comes out when there are some really nice hardwood logs I want to maximize recovery from. But I think you'll find there are still lots of small sharpening businesses who can sharpen/set for pretty good prices. Our guy charges $18 CAD per blade, which I don't think is too bad. If I were using the bandmill for a lot of work every day I'd deficiently invest in my own equipment, but for 5 or 10 logs a week it's just not worth investing in, nor having the footprint of the sharpener/setter take up floor space in my shop.

I'm not sure it's right to make recommendations on this site, but if you're looking for a simple, no-nonsense sharpener/setter, I've used a friend's CBN sharpener and setter made by Viel in Quebec on my Ripper 37, 7 degree blades. They're simple, rugged, and work well, and the sharpener uses a Made-in-USA Baldor motor instead of the offshore motors everyone else seems to use. Maybe not the fastest sharpeners/setters in the world, but very well made.

My Uncle has a sharpener/setter made by a small local company - Heath Tooling in Peterborough. Also simple, rugged, and no-nonsense. The Heath sharpener uses standard grinder wheels however, and you can't adjust hook angle, and I'm not sure that it actually does the gullet - it might just touch the tooth (I could be misremembering through). But both the Viel and Heath ones are a lot less $$ than some of the bigger names. I looked at the one from Woodland Mills one time and it seemed pretty chintzy compared to the Viel/Heath, and was about the same money.

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on October 12, 2023, 08:31:09 AMwhy not use them once, then put the used blades up for sale at a reduced price?
I seriously considered just using and discarding the blades.  $30 per Mbf in resharpening cost vs $45 for new blades is mighty tempting especially if you bumped your sawing rate up $25 per Mbf.

Actually with my sawing business profile and age, this would have probably been my best option, but.....
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Been watching my son Warren's operation (much larger than mine) esp in the blade department. He does not resharp at all but uses WM carbide blades. Runs them till they break or start to wave. Gets around 10,000 -12000 bdft per blade. They cost trice as much as double hards but after doing the math, the carbides are near the double hards in blade cost per board foot. The downside is if you are  constantly hitting tramp metal. Hurts. I'm gonna try warrens method with the box of carbides I have. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ljohnsaw

I bought a Viel two years ago? and agree, very well built. I've done about 35 sharpenings with it so far. Have a homemade desetter and setter. With the exception of two blades that appeared to have missed the grinding pass,  ::) working great for me.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Percy on October 12, 2023, 09:39:51 AM
Been watching my son Warren's operation (much larger than mine) esp in the blade department. He does not resharp at all but uses WM carbide blades. Runs them till they break or start to wave. Gets around 10,000 -12000 bdft per blade. They cost trice as much as double hards but after doing the math, the carbides are near the double hards in blade cost per board foot. The downside is if you are  constantly hitting tramp metal. Hurts. I'm gonna try warrens method with the box of carbides I have.
I like having some carbide bands on hand (Wood-mizer) they cut the hard to saw logs really nice. 
I got 5 sharpening out of one before it broke.
I saw alot of tree service logs so I can't switch over 100% 
I hear from a good source that a better carbide tip is in development at Woodmizer. 
Carbide does chip so blade handling must have care.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

TimW

Rocking D Sawmill in Kirbyville, Texas will still be sharpening blades.  My LT40 wide blades are $9 each to sharpen.   Email address..................... tx@woodmizer.com
phone # (409) 423-2319
hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Bigly

Does anyone have experience with the various WM setters?  I'm thinking the manual options would be sufficient (maybe the BMT150) paired with a BMS250 & just set the blades every other sharpen, or every third maybe.  Any opinions appreciated.

terrifictimbersllc

Just my 2 cents, id never buy another tooth setter without dial gauge/gauges. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

caveman

We opted for the manual WM BMT-200.  It is the same as the 250 but costs less and your arm is the motor.  I timed the last blade I set the other day, after setting 18-20, and it took 1 minute and 17 seconds from the time the blade was put into the setter until it was taken out.  The crank turns relatively easy, and I was not in a race, just a good steady pace.  It has dial indicators and a gauge to check the set.  The few we have used since we bought the new equipment saw as good or better than new blades.  If I were sharpening for a living, I'd have a motor on the setter.   

YellowHammer and Nathan (Outofthewoods) have some videos that are very much worth watching if you are considering the WM 250 sharpener and 200/250 setter.  
Caveman

Bigly

Thanks for the input.  What specifically is the issue if the setter does not have gauges?  Will the teeth be imperfectly set and scratch up the lumber?  Does it cause blades to wander?

barbender

The gauges let you keep an eye on your tooth set in real time. My sharpener doesn't have any. It would make setup a little easier, but I don't miss them otherwise. I get my setter adjusted, and then just set the blades. I'll check every 4th one or so to make sure everything is good, otherwise I don't worry about it. My reset blades leave a great sawn finish, so I'm happy🤷
Too many irons in the fire

Mesquite cutter

How do you resharpen the razor tip blades from woodmizer?  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Bruno of NH

I use a diamond wheel and have had great results 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 22, 2023, 06:16:31 AM
The CBN wheel or just a regular shaped diamond wheel?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

I have the woodland mills blade sharpener but cannot seem to find a diamond coated wheel for it.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

jpassardi

I see Woodland now has a Pro model sharpener with cbn. Does anyone here have that unit? 
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Mesquite cutter on October 22, 2023, 07:43:27 PM
Not like the CBN wheel. Same diameter and shape but has only a 1/4" approx of diamond on flat face that touches only the face of the tooth. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 22, 2023, 11:46:28 PM
Quote from: Mesquite cutter on October 22, 2023, 07:43:27 PM
Not like the CBN wheel. Same diameter and shape but has only a 1/4" approx of diamond on flat face that touches only the face of the tooth.
Yes that's what I use

CCCLLC

Is there any advantage with the 230v model wm250 sharpener  over the 110v?
 Both are already on the wall in the shop.
Thanks

Stephen1

By far the best bang for the buck is the BMS250 sharpener and setter with CBN grinding wheel and gauges to set with. 
Once set up and running they are simple to operate. Simple enough that I have taught my 2 students that work for me on Saturdays how to sharpen and set blades. 
Ted, if you find some teeth out of set, I run those on a trash log and then if it survives I sharpen again, does not take long before the bad set has been sharpened out. The other choices is a set of pliers to take the set out. 
I sharpen blades for others. I have 2 CBN wheels,  WM 7/39T and the WM 10. I sharpen all blades that come my way with those 2 wheels. I learned that from the FF 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!