iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Many Old Engine people here???

Started by Harold, July 20, 2003, 12:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold

Do we have any old hit and miss engine collectors here?  If so what do you have?  Is it still in use, Belted to a buzz rig?

Harold

Jeff

Welcome Harold. Well as of yesterday I am now an old engine guy. ;D

Me and my new old Ottawa drag saw. Just got back from the engine show again. wait till you see my big ass saw pics. 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I gotta itty bitty model one that runs. Could belt it to cut kindling, I'd reckon. Can't remember the name of the big time, original it was patterned after, though???
  Them things are killers. Never knew an OLD farmer that had used one a lot. They were hard to start and you would kill yer self cranking !!! :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Harold

Jeff and I seen a little model M international running a model drag saw rig.  Hope Jeff got pictures of it.

Harold

Jeff

Thats the first place I headed. The guy had drug up and was gone. :-[  I wanta build one of those!

Fla._Deadheader

Mines got MAYBE 6" flywheels??? Hafta dig it out someday and fire it up. I believe the guy was from Ohio that made up the castings and built these things. Maybe it's an "Associated"???
  My Dad collected about 200 of them. Bought and sold till he died. There ain't many I haven't heard of, but, with my memory, I could only name a hunnerd or so :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Harold

Her is what followed me home yesterday, Wife not to pleased but I've been in worse spots before.

dail_h

Wimmin jest ain't very understanding creatures somtimes bout nessities is they?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jeff

Tammy actually bought might purchase that day. Finally got me a drag saw. Aint had a chance to play with it yet or clean it any but it sure do look purty to me. ;D

Harold

AHHH! another one bitten by the bug!  It won't be long now, Engine shows trailer loads of engines and logging stuff, There just won't be enough weekends (to do the honey do list).  This is a disease, you can not have just one engine, Soon it will be an obsession, Do not resist you are possesed. :D :D :D :D
Harold

Ron Wenrich

They had a saw like that at the Lumberman's museum back on the 4th.  His was run from a small Farmall tractor.  Not sure if it was PTO or belt driven.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grampa_Joe

I've got three old stationary engines. Two internationals and a larger one that is the forerunner to JD. Don't pay much attention to them, but always told Nancy I was going to build a merry-go-round with the larger one. I got them all in auctions and pieces ,but put them together and they work.( unbelievable).
Grampa Joe

Harold

Well if you ever have the urge to part with them let me know,  I am always looking for an excuse for a road trip.

Harold

Jeff

Harold, I bet if you took a tree with you you could make a swap. Grampa Joe is in North Dakota and I think he and member Mark done did cut up the tree they had. :D

Harold

With no trees to cut must leave lots of time to fish that awsome Devils lake they got out yonder.  Sure would like to drop line there some day. ;D

D._Frederick

As a boy, we had 2 or 3 of them that we used on the farm. I remember the makes as: Olds and IH. The old farms ruined the engines by running them out of cooling water, It ruined the rings. Also the ones that had a open crank case had problems with lubing the connecting rod bearing, I never saw one of this type engine that didnot have the bearing hammered out. When in good shape, they were not that hard to start.

The STEAM-UP at Brooks Or. will be the last week end this month.

Mark M

Harold have you ever been to the Steam Threshers Reunion in Rollag Minnesota? They have more of the those old engines than you can shake a stick at. Its held every Labor Day weekend and well worth the drive.

Here is a link to a few picture I took the last time I went.

http://www.pbase.com/mmathys/rollag

Mark

Paul_H

Welcome Harold.
I don't have any old engines yet,but I keep my eye out for them,and expect to have some one day.

Have you seen this link? A person could get lost in there.

Harry's Old Engine Page

Jeff,
Good find on the drag saw,it's got me coveting. :-/
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

I used to mess with those old engines.  Sold all but 6 or 8.  My best one is an upright Novo that came off of a fuel truck.  It's got a double pump mounted to it.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tagerts_crossing

I see that paul h already gave the link to harrys old engine page that site is great you can get lost for days on that one.  I to collect old iron tractors and equip. and engines too.  
John Schoolcraft

Mike_P.

Jeff:  
Congratulations on finding the drag saw.  I think those are getting rare.  Before you know it, you will be buying tractors and dozers and will need a new pole barn.

Harold:
I am not into old engines but do have some old crawler tractors.  I think that I would enjoy the engines, but have never run across one at the right time.  The right time being defined as to when Jeanette will allow me to make a purchase.

Another good engine and tractor show is the Tri-State in Portland, IN.  It will run 8/26-30 this year.

Thanks,

isawlogs

I don't have one yet but we do have one on the baler on the farm...I can remember dad turning that thing over and it firiring backwords...outch...He sure was happy when we got the power take off on the tractor ...(got the baler with it ) Some day I will get one but Renée will need a lot of convinsing The TO DO list will have to be dang short if not none existing....
    Jeff  that is a nice saw I seen one like it at the Eastern Ontario plowing match a few years ago...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Well, I got my drag saw running tonight. Didn't take much effort and it run good. I sure wish I new an oldtimer around here that could teach me how to set and sharpen my old saws. I have several that are plenty good enough to use, and I sure would like to get the drag saw blade in ship shape so it could be run fer fun. :)

Jeff

We may meet harold up at the old engine show in waloon lake this weekend. Those things are fun.

The following weekend, starting the first Tammy and I will be playing giligan. we will be out on Lime island working as DNR volunteers.

THEN!!! the next week end is the picinic (spelled like I pronounced it) 8) :)

chet

Better git dat drag saw ship shape before da (picinic). I was hope'n ta see it cut up da wood fur da campfire fur us ta roast dem weeenies.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Thats what I was hoping. I figured on having a great big log and i would cut it to length with the drag saw, I would then roll them to you where you would use the semi-sharp axe to split em. ;D

chet

Sorry, I still got a bum hand.  ;)  But I'll hold da matches.   ;D

Heck I'll even hold yur beer fur ya, while you split if-in you'd like.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

Jeff, yer in Timber country. There must be a place or competitor that does the Wood Sports Circuit that could get ya info on how to sharpen that saw.
  I bought a 4' one man hand crosscut on ebay. Had 2 teeth broken off. Took 2 teeth off the butt end, under the handle and welded 'em in place. Put the saw in the vise and used a hand file and touched up all the others. It cuts well, underwater, when we need to free up a log or limbs or something.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

I will try to sharpen it, long as the set does not need work or the rakers, I am sure I can handle it. I have been looking for a saw set that will work for these saws at flea markets but I only find little ones. I spose I could break down and go the the saw websit I have in favorites and order me a kit.

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff good find on the saw Now I want one :'(. I'm just beginning to learn to set and sharpen the old saws. I bought a job lot of about 25 of them for just a couple bucks at a farm sale this spring. Two or three were broke in half there my test saws to see if i'm doing it right theres a lot more than meets the eye to sharpen them. I wish my grandfather were around I didn't listen enough when he was. He knew how to put set in them on a stump in the woods. Man I miss him.

Jeff

Tammy better hope I dont see another one with a hit and miss on it. ;D

D._Frederick

Jeff,
One of the you circle saw guys, showed "spider" to check saw teeth after swaging. You use a spider to check set of the teeth that you file. The teeth are set with a hammer and a backing anvil made out of a piece of shafting.

Jeff

when you say backing anvil, would this be heavy flat stock with an angle ground near the end? flat part goes against the saw and the tooth is pounded to the angle?

D._Frederick

Jeff,
The anvils I have seen were all "home made" but the idea is the same. The tooth is struck on the back side on top of the vee filed in the tooth. The set is checked with the spider. The raker teeth are swaged and hammered down for a given distance from the top of the filed teeth. I don't know if there was a guage for this. I suppose a feeler guage could be used for this with a straight edge.

Jeff

Any idea how this may have been used. I gave 2 bucks for it and they said it was a two man saw set guage. Dunno.

isawlogs

I got one of those....Don't know what it was for...If an wen you find out how to use it could you let me know?...

Got a get me a scanner to post some pics.....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I got two of those. The guy through the second rusty one in for a buck. So I got two watchamacallits. :D

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff I got one of those but mine has a flat file attached to the top for leveling the teeth.It looks like yours has the hole in the top for the screw to hold the file i can't tell.but I have instructions on how to use that tool in the crosscut saw sharpening kit I got.

Jeff

How about some typing and scanner work there fella. ;D I got two more today that I figured were complete, but they did not have a file. I also got two regular setting anvils (if thats the proper name for them.) Got lots of pictures of the engine show today. Met up with 2 forum members. Harold who was showing engines and Corley5 who had 3 tractors there in the parade. I also took pictures and video of the whole process of making wooden fruit baskets starting with the basswood bolts and ending up with berry and fruit baskets. Something that seems so common sure takes alot of uncommon machines.

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff my tools and instructions are at the mill I will get them latter today when I go out to practice with our M tooth. I will take some pictures scan what I have and try to post it.If I can't I will send it to you so you can post it.

Bibbyman

Hay Jeff,  I knew I had a picture of a dragsaw I had seen at the Old Thrasher's Convention we went to in 2001.    Just took time to find it and get it posted.  Don't know nothing about it other than it made slices of log.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Fla._Deadheader

Where's them pictures and instructions for sharpening them crosscut saws ?????? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Bibbyman
   How long does it take for one of them there saws to cut a log that size? ???

Marcel

Jeff

I broke my dragsaw today. :-/ simple fix though (i hope), just gotta tear it apart to put the key it spit out back in.

Sawyerfortyish

Puttin that that there gas fireplace in you won't be needin any wood so I guess you'll have to sell that ol drag saw ::). No need to have something just sittin around in the way. Just so happens I think I could find it a good home  ;) mine ;D :D

Jeff

I fixed it in about 10 minutes. Turns out that was the funny rattlin I was hearing when it was running. I gotta go make a post now about my human powered saw!

Sawyer40, I really like my saw. :)

dail_h

My dad could sharpen crosscut saws sharpe than anyone I knew . He was goner show mw how,but never din .Too late now
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Jeff

Thought I would dig this old thread up because my drag saw is getting an upgrade. I always thought it had the wrong blade on it. I came across tow more for it this weekend. What a deal! 25 bucks for both of them. I'm thinking the one on the left is going to really do the job. It seems almost like new other then the surface rust. The teeth and set are all prittinear perfect.
The saw to the far right is the one that came on it. Pretty wimpy compared to the new finds.

OneWithWood

That is definately way more set than the first blade.  Is it stiffer too?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

That's gotta be about the best thing about having those old gadgets, is being able to use em. Sure, its nice to look at'm too. But using them is way better. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

yep, its a whole lot stiffer. I was wondering, looking at those tooth patterns, I wonder if the saw that was on the dragsaw could have been an old pit saw?  It dont look like any of my crosscuts.  THe sawblade has way more wear on it the the drag saw it's self, so I am thinking somebody busted up the original blade, and this was the only replacement they could find that would fit?  You cant simply modify an old crosscut because of the way a drag saw mounts. Not enough meat on the end, but a pitsaw might have a broad end.

SwampDonkey

Lotsa meat on'm and broad too, hmmmm

OK, but I'll admit I don't know nuttin 'bout either.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Jeff

THose are for lapidary. Cuttin rock.

Jeff

Those are for lapidary. Cuttin rock.

SwampDonkey

See? I told ya I didn't know nuttin about'm ;D

Stump Jumper

i figure the blade on the right has just been filed one too many times  :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Jeff

Ita only about half the guage of the other two blades though. When you start the dragsaw its so flimsy it would start to whip.

junkyard

Jeff

Dad showed me how to sharpen with that tool and some others in 1956 then I bought a chain saw ,lots of water under the bridge and over the dam since then.
Try this.

The crosscut saw manual

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/77712508/
                              Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

D._Frederick

Jeff,

Your dragsaw blade looks like it was filed to death.  To make a drag saw work, it took a set of blades all different lengths to keep them from whipping, you matched the blade to the diameter of the log. The blade should just be long enough to break the bark on the opposite side from dragsaw. If they were too long, they would cut into the ground, and the free end would whip.

Are you sure that you have a drag saw blades and not a pond saw blade, the pond blades are heavier gauge?

The "true drag saws" built in the twenties has a 2 cycle water cooled engine. They had wooden frames shaped like the letter A and had 2 dogs that were driven into the log. The early ones didn't have a clutch, the blade was put on a holder until the engine was running and then it was lifted and dropped on the log. Two makes of saws that were used in the NW, were the Wade and Vaughn (Sp)

Fla._Deadheader

Had to move some furniture and stuff lately, because the carpet and pad got wet from them DanG storms. Dug out the Hit & Miss Engine I told about early on in this thread. Here it is.

First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Tom

I'm trying to figure out if this thread is Old, engine-people or Old-engine, people.   With Harold posting it must be the first...but.....then with Jeff posting I could see it being thte second.   :-/  Every time I start counting, I have to zero out and start over.  :P :D

Thank You Sponsors!