iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Many Old Engine people here???

Started by Harold, July 20, 2003, 12:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Thought I would dig this old thread up because my drag saw is getting an upgrade. I always thought it had the wrong blade on it. I came across tow more for it this weekend. What a deal! 25 bucks for both of them. I'm thinking the one on the left is going to really do the job. It seems almost like new other then the surface rust. The teeth and set are all prittinear perfect.
The saw to the far right is the one that came on it. Pretty wimpy compared to the new finds.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

That is definately way more set than the first blade.  Is it stiffer too?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

That's gotta be about the best thing about having those old gadgets, is being able to use em. Sure, its nice to look at'm too. But using them is way better. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

yep, its a whole lot stiffer. I was wondering, looking at those tooth patterns, I wonder if the saw that was on the dragsaw could have been an old pit saw?  It dont look like any of my crosscuts.  THe sawblade has way more wear on it the the drag saw it's self, so I am thinking somebody busted up the original blade, and this was the only replacement they could find that would fit?  You cant simply modify an old crosscut because of the way a drag saw mounts. Not enough meat on the end, but a pitsaw might have a broad end.

SwampDonkey

Lotsa meat on'm and broad too, hmmmm

OK, but I'll admit I don't know nuttin 'bout either.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Jeff

THose are for lapidary. Cuttin rock.

Jeff

Those are for lapidary. Cuttin rock.

SwampDonkey

See? I told ya I didn't know nuttin about'm ;D

Stump Jumper

i figure the blade on the right has just been filed one too many times  :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Jeff

Ita only about half the guage of the other two blades though. When you start the dragsaw its so flimsy it would start to whip.

junkyard

Jeff

Dad showed me how to sharpen with that tool and some others in 1956 then I bought a chain saw ,lots of water under the bridge and over the dam since then.
Try this.

The crosscut saw manual

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/77712508/
                              Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

D._Frederick

Jeff,

Your dragsaw blade looks like it was filed to death.  To make a drag saw work, it took a set of blades all different lengths to keep them from whipping, you matched the blade to the diameter of the log. The blade should just be long enough to break the bark on the opposite side from dragsaw. If they were too long, they would cut into the ground, and the free end would whip.

Are you sure that you have a drag saw blades and not a pond saw blade, the pond blades are heavier gauge?

The "true drag saws" built in the twenties has a 2 cycle water cooled engine. They had wooden frames shaped like the letter A and had 2 dogs that were driven into the log. The early ones didn't have a clutch, the blade was put on a holder until the engine was running and then it was lifted and dropped on the log. Two makes of saws that were used in the NW, were the Wade and Vaughn (Sp)

Fla._Deadheader

Had to move some furniture and stuff lately, because the carpet and pad got wet from them DanG storms. Dug out the Hit & Miss Engine I told about early on in this thread. Here it is.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Tom

I'm trying to figure out if this thread is Old, engine-people or Old-engine, people.   With Harold posting it must be the first...but.....then with Jeff posting I could see it being thte second.   :-/  Every time I start counting, I have to zero out and start over.  :P :D

Thank You Sponsors!